Fri, Sep 20, 4:02 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Running Poser from a USB Drive

mglant ( ) posted Tue, 16 March 2010 at 7:21 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 3:42 AM

I was wondering if it would work to have one or both of my Poser Applications on a USB drive with core content and continue to use separate content on other drives.  I an considering this because I have several computers in separate locations where the programs will not be used concurrently (notebook, home study computer and a audiovisual studio with a network of 4 computers. I actually have several copies of Poser (Poser 7, Poser 8 and Poser Pro 2010).  I just read the license and it describes the "like a book" approach, which a single program on a fast USB drive would limit the use to one at a time.   So it seem that this is not an issue.  I have content already on a large extra "hot swap" drive.  However to make this system easily transportable, I assuse I have to install the program onto the on one machine, but do I need to replicate the same process from the other computer I plan to run it on, or will it just run from the USB drive (I plan to have an external drive with same letter for additional content) that can be used on every computer with either P8 or PP2010.

Thanks in advance for anyone with experience with this.
Mick

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 16 March 2010 at 7:49 PM

Poser 7 is self-contained within its program directory, so it would work without issue, except your preferences wouldn't move from machine to machine.  You may be able to get around this by using shortcuts back to directories on your removable drive. Installing SR3 on each machine with the drive plugged in will recreate the file associations, if they are needed.

I don't yet have any experience with moving Poser 8 around.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 16 March 2010 at 9:38 PM

My advice, don't do it.  I have seen too many USB thumbs get corrupted or completely disabled being used in similar situations with other apps.  If you are looking for portability, consider an external harddrive.  Again, I am very skittish about running anything off external sources because of hardware vulnerability and failure.

cspear ( ) posted Wed, 17 March 2010 at 7:30 AM

When you say 'USB Drive' do you mean an external USB Hard Disk, or a USB memory stick?

You'll be OK if it's the former, but do not use a memory stick for this: as hborre suggests, it won't be long before you regret it.

Also be aware that data won't transfer as quickly to and from an external USB hard disk as an internal SATA disk, although USB 3 might change that.

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 17 March 2010 at 8:17 AM

I run Poser 4 and Poser 6 from an external USB hard drive all the time. Both work fine. I agree with the others about avoiding Flash drives, but as long as you have the data backed up and are prepared for slow performance there's nothing actually fatal about using one. 

Nance ( ) posted Wed, 17 March 2010 at 11:30 AM

Also been using Poser installed on a ext.USB HDD here since P4 days with no troubles (as yet).

Jules53757 ( ) posted Wed, 17 March 2010 at 12:49 PM

And with the new rules for P8, only one installation, P4 - P7 said only one ionstallation running at the same time, an external HD is the only legal way to use P8 on several computers. The onty thing is, you have to copy the Poser Folder with the libraryPrefs.xml  on each PC. Works great.

Ulli

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

mglant ( ) posted Wed, 17 March 2010 at 10:43 PM

Everyone, thanks for the viewpoints.  Jules53757, I read the license in my Poser 8 I just purchased and it describes a "like a book" use where anyone can use the license on any machine as long as it is only one instance running at a time.  Now it may be that the software really makes that a pain in the rear, but that is what I am planning to do, from a hard drive.  I do have a new Rosewill external drive with a fan that I got at Newegg for $39 (free shipping) that will USB or eSata, so that is what I will do and slap a WD Raptor in it that I have on the shelf.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2010 at 3:48 AM

Now you're talking. Use the eSATA wherever you can, and you won't notice the difference. 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.