Sun, Sep 22, 4:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Whining about Wine with C6

gavotte ( ) posted Tue, 16 March 2010 at 6:20 PM · edited Sat, 27 July 2024 at 2:32 AM

I have just come back to Carrara after many years away (Kixum was in charge back then) and am having problems getting C6 to work using wine. For work related reasons, I now have this monster Linux workstation with 4 heads and more memory than my first few machines had disk space. I resumed my Carrara work running C on Windows XP from within VirtualBox on this machine. This was OK but with VB, the more heads and more memory you allocated to it, the slower the thing ran (makes no sense to me, but that is how it is). To make things manageable, I only used a single head when running VirtualBox.

Anyway, I tried to install C6 using wine and some things work though it will not render. The render room does not work, the quick render does not work, and the texture room does not work because the texture render does not work. The assembly room works fine and the modeling room works fine. I have used both the assembly and modeling rooms to make and export objects.

For grins and giggles, I installed C5 Pro using wine on the same machine and found that it works great. It renders fantastically (did I mention 4 heads and gobs of memory?). I can render with C5P in 10 minutes what I recall taking hours previously, but I can only use C5.

Has anyone been able to get version 6 to work on Linux using wine? Is there some magic trick to getting this version to work? How about version 7, If I upgrade to C7 will everything work fine using wine or will I have the same problems as with C6? By the way, I am running Ubuntu-64, Version 9.10, Karmic Koala. Any help anyone out there can provide would be very much appreciated.

Danas_Anis ( ) posted Wed, 17 March 2010 at 5:23 AM

Hi I wan't able to run Carrara good on Linux,
but here is a feature request, the more people drop a note the more chances to get Carrara running on Linux. 

https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=33765

gavotte ( ) posted Wed, 17 March 2010 at 9:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Danas, I have posted a bug report and we will see what happens.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.