Wed, Sep 25, 8:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Will a SSD primary disk make a really big difference in Vue 8 inf?

hobepaintball ( ) posted Tue, 30 March 2010 at 9:39 AM · edited Wed, 25 September 2024 at 6:22 AM

I currently run windows7 64bit 8gb ram on my favorite content creator and renderer (sometimes use farm).
It has a run of the mil 7200 rpm SataII 500gb hard drive as the operating system drive (which also includes VUE)
Solid State Drives are much much faster, but not cheap especially when compared to free since i already own the other.
Do you think it will make a worth while difference in vue and Poser to justify the expense and time?
Does anyone there use one?
My netbook has SSD but with it's Atom processer there is no way of seeing how the SSD compares to a "standard drive"

Jonj1611 ( ) posted Tue, 30 March 2010 at 11:48 AM

No, it won't make any difference to the speed of Vue, maybe shorten loading times a bit but they are hardly excessive as it is. Save your money  until they drop in price :)

Jon

DA Portfolio - http://jonj1611.daportfolio.com/

hobepaintball ( ) posted Tue, 30 March 2010 at 12:17 PM

Thanks. I will save the dough then. Windows 7 reported that the hard drives were currently my slowest component so I was suspiciose.

Jonj1611 ( ) posted Tue, 30 March 2010 at 12:18 PM

Yeah, it might speed Windows up and the swap file but for the amount of ram you have, I would be surprised if the swap file is used that often/frequently.

Jon

DA Portfolio - http://jonj1611.daportfolio.com/

3DNeo ( ) posted Wed, 31 March 2010 at 8:56 AM

Well, SSD drives in general are the best investment you can make to speed up any modern computer. They truly make a LOT of difference in terms of speed for booting your computer, loading files, seeking files, etc. But the cost-performance ratio is quite high and you are paying MUCH more for those increases compared with the value of size a mass storage HD is now.

It will not help Vue at all in terms of making it render faster or perform better in general. What is a good investment is a true 64 bit OS like Snow Leopard or Windows 7 and lots of RAM. Also a very good graphics card helps along with a modern CPU with multi-cores. Also, setting up a render farm if you are serious about speed and doing a lot of high quality renders will help too.

Jeff

Development on: Mac Pro 2008, Duel-Boot OS - Snow Leopard 10.6.6 & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon , 10GB 800 MHz DDR2 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT.

sleepytom ( ) posted Wed, 14 April 2010 at 5:14 PM

i got a SSD last week..for loading and saving process is very cool!!!!
FAST!!!
But look of good write and read Times. I know nothing about Hardware but my Admin sad me thats there are loot of SSD and not all ar good to write AND read . Someone can better read otherone better writhe..find a agreement in between.
But a good speeding HD (i think my old one was a Raptor know its my BackupHD for my System) is also good..needs longer but cheaper. Dont now but for my RaidSystem SSDs are to expensive. At the moment i have a WindowsScript wich sycronising my Projekt-Folders
Good Luck & have fun with SSD
SSDs rox!!
;)
Tom

forester ( ) posted Wed, 14 April 2010 at 9:24 PM

And let's not forget the motherboard, in this discussion.

Win 7 often reports that the drives are the slowest component of a system, when in fact, it is the northbridge or southbridge chips that are relatively slow. (The northbridge chip typically controls the RAM and the graphics card, AND the southbridge chip. The southbridge chip, among other things, controls the disk drives.)  Sometimes, a motherboard uses relatively cheap condensors, also impairing the speed.

No sense in putting SSD's on a mediocre motherboard.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2010 at 6:11 AM

Hence I spend money on good ASUS motherboards for art rig :)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

hobepaintball ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2010 at 9:19 AM

Quote -  And let's not forget the motherboard, in this discussion.

Win 7 often reports that the drives are the slowest component of a system, when in fact, it is the northbridge or southbridge chips that are relatively slow. (The northbridge chip typically controls the RAM and the graphics card, AND the southbridge chip. The southbridge chip, among other things, controls the disk drives.)  Sometimes, a motherboard uses relatively cheap condensors, also impairing the speed.

No sense in putting SSD's on a mediocre motherboard.

"True Dat" I had a Tyan with poor (relativly) Southbride performance, and the southbridge overheated alot until I put it in a Coolermaster case with a zillion fans. It moved onto the render farm and the current content creator is an ASUS MB

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.