Fri, Oct 4, 5:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Printing in cmyk, help please.

meltz ( ) posted Tue, 30 March 2010 at 4:23 PM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 3:26 PM

Ok so i thought i set everything up perfect, changing my picture to cmyk for a high quality print. But when i sent it to my printer she said that the color was to dull and needed to be fixed. So what setting do i need to change or what can i do. she said it was set to dull color.

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 30 March 2010 at 4:41 PM · edited Tue, 30 March 2010 at 4:44 PM

It's always best to look in Photoshop and set it up to see what's "out of gamut" before you send something off to the printer. I'm  not sure about newer versions of Photoshop, but the older versions had a command to show you which colors were going to be a problem. It "should" be under View/Gamut Warning...

Out of gamut are those colors which are outside of the cmyk system's capability to reproduce. If they are not corrected, they will turn dull or muddy when printed.

Laurie

SWAMP ( ) posted Tue, 30 March 2010 at 5:48 PM · edited Tue, 30 March 2010 at 5:49 PM

It’s very likely that you shouldn’t be converting to CMYK in the first place.
Most labs use printers that do the conversion of RGB to CMYK in their own printer’s software/Rip (Epson, HP, Fuji, etc.).
Sending in a CMYK file that the printer software converts again to print CMYK becomes a very dull ugly mess.
Unless you are sending your file to a large commercial offset printer (which requires a CMYK file to create color separations), send a RGB file.

Chuck

thundering1 ( ) posted Thu, 01 April 2010 at 9:41 PM

Yes - what KIND of printer is this?

Are they press-printers - magazines, brochures, pamphlets, newsletters? Then yes, they'll need CMYK.

Are they photo-printers - using anything from RA-4 chemical processed papers (minilabs, etc. - printing is done by projected light - whether a lamp or LEDs), inkjets? Then they'll need it to be RGB. If you convert an image to CMYK for THESE printers, it'll come back one giant "bluh..."

Ask what color space they WANT, and give them that - it does sound like you went in the wrong direction based on your description.

I hope this helps-

-Lew

Bailliere ( ) posted Tue, 06 April 2010 at 4:34 PM

Sounds very much like you should have stayed in RGB. Set to dull colour is a bit of an odd turn of phrase for a printer but anyway yes as thundering says,you should ask the printer what space they want the files in. I usually run a print off to go with files I send to my printer too just to give him an idea of what I'm looking at on screen.

Quest ( ) posted Sat, 10 April 2010 at 3:51 AM

What is commonly used in many production houses is: Edit>Convert to profile>”Working CMYK – U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2. You have other working profiles but you must experiment as to what gives you the best color rendition where you live around the world but this all assumes you have calibrated your system. So make an initial conversion and see how it looks on your screen then see how it looks in print. In my experience, if all colors look good in the CMYK profile then most printers will be able to use it.

Liman ( ) posted Sun, 11 April 2010 at 9:48 AM

yeah, you shouldn't be converting to CMYK

professional texture collections from www.liman3d.com

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.