Sun, Oct 6, 8:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Main/Aux/Posing Camera Usage?

imagination304 ( ) posted Sun, 11 April 2010 at 8:08 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 8:09 PM

Hi all,

What is the difference between Main, Aux and Posing Camera?
When to use which?

Thanks in advance

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 11 April 2010 at 8:27 PM · edited Sun, 11 April 2010 at 8:29 PM

I don't think there is any difference between Main and Aux, other than the default initial states, and the fact that the Main camera has a hot-key (Ctrl-M) while the Aux does not. (I wish it did.)

The main and aux cameras always orbit the center of the universe. The Pose camera always orbits the currently selected figure. Load two figures in the scene, switch to the Pose camera (Ctrl-,) and then switch the current figure. You'll see the camera jump whenever the current figure selection is different.

The Pose camera also translates with the current figure when you move the current figure (using the dials at least).

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

imagination304 ( ) posted Sun, 11 April 2010 at 8:40 PM

Thanks, bagginsbill.

Willber ( ) posted Sun, 11 April 2010 at 8:42 PM

Also note that the "point at" cameras are a lot slower t o respond than the "universe" cameras.
So as the character overhead increases, the camera response decreases.

hoplaa ( ) posted Sun, 11 April 2010 at 8:47 PM

Here's something I've been wondering ever since I first tried Poser:

Why don't Poser cameras have the capability to orbit around whatever object is currently selected in the scene? Every other 3D app that I've used has this, and it's very convenient. A workaround would be to use a null figure, but that's just silly.

And another thing, why does the preview window performance suffer considerably when using cameras which don't orbit around the center of the universe (like Posing, Face, etc)?

Willber ( ) posted Sun, 11 April 2010 at 9:05 PM

I suspect more math to calculate the relative position when using "Point At" cameras.
I seldom use these cameras because of this issue.

Only the character related cameras track the selected figure. No object point at cameras.

hoplaa ( ) posted Sun, 11 April 2010 at 10:01 PM

I must confess not being familiar with the math, but if other apps manage this without such a significant impact, I don't understand why it is an issue in Poser.

jancory ( ) posted Mon, 12 April 2010 at 11:45 AM

actually, in PP2010 (& from P7 up i think) you can create a new camera that revolves around whatever you choose.  Object>Create Camera>Revolving, then set Point At to your object/figure/whatever..

lost in the wilderness

Poser 13, Poser11,  Win7Pro 64, now with 24GB ram

ooh! i guess i can add my new render(only) machine!  Win11, I7, RTX 3060 12GB

My Freebies

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 12 April 2010 at 1:17 PM

Nope - it will point at what you tell it, but it does not orbit that item.

Try it. Point at a sphere. Move the sphere way off to the side.

You will still orbit the center of the universe.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

jancory ( ) posted Mon, 12 April 2010 at 1:24 PM

yup, you're right.   sorry.

lost in the wilderness

Poser 13, Poser11,  Win7Pro 64, now with 24GB ram

ooh! i guess i can add my new render(only) machine!  Win11, I7, RTX 3060 12GB

My Freebies

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 12 April 2010 at 1:28 PM

It's actually weirder than that. It does a strange figure-8 orbit when point-at is activated.

gmadone ( ) posted Tue, 13 April 2010 at 11:37 AM

If you parent a camera to an object or figure it will revolve around it. Except for the ortho cams.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 13 April 2010 at 12:52 PM

Quote - If you parent a camera to an object or figure it will revolve around it. Except for the ortho cams.

Have you actually found a way to make that usable, or are you just theorizing? Because I can't navigate with a camera in that state.

Here's my experience.

If the object you parent the camera to is not in the center of the world and/or is rotated at all, this is unworkable.

The camera movement controls that normally let you orbit, pan, or dolly to/from whatever is in front of you become crazy.

gmadone ( ) posted Tue, 13 April 2010 at 1:04 PM

hoplaa asked  "Why don't Poser cameras have the capability to orbit around whatever object is currently selected in the scene?".
I only point out that you can selcet an object for the camera to rotate around. I think a selection camera that acts like hand, face or pose cams only on the current selection, could be helpfull.

imagination304 ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2010 at 5:01 AM

Thank you, bagginsbill, hoplaa, Willber, jancory and gmadone.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.