Wed, Sep 18, 11:05 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: VSS Errors, please help

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Sat, 17 April 2010 at 6:16 PM · edited Thu, 22 August 2024 at 12:01 PM

I'm starting with Poser again after a long absence, and all my geek cred is gone.  I'm trying to run Bagginsbill's VSS, and it keeps throwing python errors.  I imagine it's either something about my system or user error, but I can't figure it out and I haven't been able to find any forum posts on it.

I'm running Poser 6 in Vista64. 

I load the "VSS_PR3_No_AO" prop, then bring in a figure and apply a MAT file if it doesn't already have textures loaded.  I then run vssMainButtons.py, and get this window:

I got the same error when Poser was installed in the default location on the C: drive.

The palette of Python buttons comes up anyway, so I then click on the "Synchronize" button, and get this error:

The script stops there, and no materials are changed.

Does anyone know what is causing this problem and how to fix it?

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 17 April 2010 at 6:23 PM

It has been a long time since I received an error with VSS that I can't figure this one out.  And unfortunately, BB is on vacation this week and may not have internet access.  Unless some one else can solve your problem, you may not get your answer any time soon.

IsaoShi ( ) posted Sat, 17 April 2010 at 6:27 PM · edited Sat, 17 April 2010 at 6:28 PM

The first screen is not an error, it's a printout of what the program is doing, for debugging purposes. To get rid of it you can comment out five print lines in the Python script "vssMainButtons.py", by putting a hash at the beginning of each line, as shown below:-

try:

scriptLocation = poser.ScriptLocation()

vssFolder = os.path.split(scriptLocation)[0]

except: 

# print 'Cannot get vss script location properly - trying hack'

# print repr(sys.path[-1])

hackpath = sys.path[-1].replace('x0bss', 'vss').replace('t', 't')

# print repr(hackpath)

if os.path.exists(os.path.join(hackpath, 'vssui.py')):

# print 'OK hack =',hackpath

vssFolder = hackpath

else:

hackpath = os.path.join(hackpath, 'Python', 'vss')

if os.path.exists(os.path.join(hackpath, 'vssui.py')):

# print 'OK hack2 =',hackpath

vssFolder = hackpath

scriptLocation = os.path.join(hackpath, 'vssui.py')

del hackpath

Do this in a text editor program, making sure you do not alter the indentation of any lines.
This file is in the VSS folder.

Edit: looking at the real problem now....

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sat, 17 April 2010 at 6:32 PM

'True' is not defined? Is this a Python version issue? Just off the top of my head...

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

nruddock ( ) posted Sat, 17 April 2010 at 6:38 PM

Quote - Does anyone know what is causing this problem and how to fix it?

That error indicates that the script was written for the version of Python in P7 and above.

The simplest way to fix things up for P6 is to add the following lines at the very beginning of the script :- True = 1 False = 0

If you get the same error from other scripts just do the same thing.

IsaoShi ( ) posted Sat, 17 April 2010 at 6:44 PM

Strange... I don't even have that particular code in my (working) VSS scripts. We must have different releases. Still, if the above fix works then no worries.

IsaoShi ( ) posted Sat, 17 April 2010 at 7:10 PM

(I had an old version of vss.py, from May 2008.)

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Sat, 17 April 2010 at 7:25 PM · edited Sat, 17 April 2010 at 7:26 PM

nruddock, that fixed it.  Thank you so much!

IsaoShi, thanks for letting me know I don't need to worry about that message.  I wouldn't have if it were the only thing, but I wasn't sure if it was part of the real problem or not.

Thanks, everyone!**

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.