Mon, Sep 9, 5:18 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 12:14 am)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Adding A Smile

EagleWing1000 ( ) posted Wed, 14 April 2010 at 8:02 AM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 5:15 AM

file_451218.JPG

I'm trying to add/copy the smile from the left to the photo on the right and I'm struggling, adding cutting the smile out is not the problem, however creating the wrinkles is where I'm having the problems, I can't see an easy way to effectively achieve the wrinkles (as seen on the left) without spending the next week using the burn and dodge tool. Can anyone assist?

Dell XPS M1730
Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 2.6Ghz
500GB (2x 250GB) RAID 1 Sata HDD
4GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTX SLI

gammaRascal ( ) posted Tue, 20 April 2010 at 12:12 AM

file_451593.jpg

It can be done. More to the point, it can be done better with good source and destination material. The straight-on smile just doesn't jive with the angle-on destination - plus you have to do more than paste the smile and wrinkles, you have to fix the nostrils to sell the smile - given the destination file is also highly compressed, it makes marrying the source a little more time consuming. Color-correction not withstanding. 

EagleWing1000 ( ) posted Wed, 21 April 2010 at 5:06 AM

Quote -  It can be done. More to the point, it can be done better with good source and destination material. The straight-on smile just doesn't jive with the angle-on destination - plus you have to do more than paste the smile and wrinkles, you have to fix the nostrils to sell the smile - given the destination file is also highly compressed, it makes marrying the source a little more time consuming. Color-correction not withstanding. 

thanks for the reply, much appreciated.
What you did there looks very good. did you copy the pixles of the cheek wrinkles aswell as the mouth to get that result? Also what do you mean by "color-correction not withstanding"?

Regards,
EW

Dell XPS M1730
4GB RAM

gammaRascal ( ) posted Wed, 21 April 2010 at 5:12 AM

The wrinkles did come along for the ride. 

I color corrected the source-cut to better match the destination which made blending the two a lot easier. Without some kind of correction it would have made the blending of two that much more difficult. I also added a gradient layer effect on the cut to help sell the shade of the destination-face.

EagleWing1000 ( ) posted Wed, 21 April 2010 at 5:16 AM

gotcha, I understand. will give it a go and post back. thanka again Twisted_Symmetry.

Dell XPS M1730
4GB RAM

EagleWing1000 ( ) posted Wed, 21 April 2010 at 6:02 AM

file_451663.jpg

OK here's what I got, what do you think?

Dell XPS M1730
4GB RAM

gammaRascal ( ) posted Wed, 21 April 2010 at 6:08 AM

Looks a little small'ish to me. Plus the smile is straight-on while the face is angled - you have to compensate for that by distorting/warping the smile.  

You tweaked the nose, ya? I think you pulled too much from the tip making the nose look like a fat nose rather than just pulling the nostrils - to give the impression that the cheeks are pulling on the nostrils.

Maybe others would have a different opinion, but that's how I did mine (which is still subjectively good/bad)

EagleWing1000 ( ) posted Wed, 21 April 2010 at 6:27 AM

file_451664.jpg

OK, I enlarged the smile and warped it more than I already had. thanks for the feedback :)

Dell XPS M1730
4GB RAM

pauljs75 ( ) posted Mon, 26 April 2010 at 10:47 AM

Becoming friends with the liquify tool couldn't hurt either, even if you aren't stuck using an old version that doesn't have warp. (It takes a bit of practice, but it's possible to change an entire facial expression with that one.) It looks like you got it close enough already though, so this advice is a bit late.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

EagleWing1000 ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2010 at 5:12 AM

Quote - Becoming friends with the liquify tool couldn't hurt either, even if you aren't stuck using an old version that doesn't have warp. (It takes a bit of practice, but it's possible to change an entire facial expression with that one.) It looks like you got it close enough already though, so this advice is a bit late.

Thanks for the advice anyways and yeah I agree, though I've found if you push things too far with liquify in proportion, to where there is obvious stretching, then the clone stamp tool is then needed., thanks.

Dell XPS M1730
4GB RAM

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.