Tue, Oct 22, 2:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 1:40 am)

Subject: Warlord of Mars

nekkidchikken ( ) posted Wed, 21 April 2010 at 7:15 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 2:24 AM

Just finished re- reading the Edgar Rice Burroughs martian book series and it inspired me to look for any Poser figures that might be modelled after it. None of the usual haunts turn anything up, so I'm probably out of luck, but I thought I'd check.

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Wed, 21 April 2010 at 7:40 PM

what you looking for? red skinned egg laying chicks?

nekkidchikken ( ) posted Wed, 21 April 2010 at 7:50 PM

Ha! That part I can handle... And many others. But there are a lot of creatures that I couldn't even begin to reproduce. Fifteen foot hideous looking green "men" with 4 arms, tusks... Animals...

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Wed, 21 April 2010 at 8:06 PM

These might help http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/0/beasts-of-mars?item=10050&cat=&_m=d

nekkidchikken ( ) posted Wed, 21 April 2010 at 8:16 PM

Yes! Those are pretty close to the descriptions in the book. Now... the hideous 4 armed green man with the tusks.

Thanks, Ghostsofmacbeth!

Larry F ( ) posted Wed, 21 April 2010 at 10:46 PM · edited Wed, 21 April 2010 at 10:49 PM

There is or was a large 4-armed male figure over at RDNA sometime back.  I thought of Tars Tarkas et al when I first saw him - months ago.  So the 4-armed types ought to be relatively easily realized, but what I tend to think might be more difficult would be credible thoats and my all time favorite ERB Martian creation (Aside from the incomparable Dejah Thoris mind you) - the BANTH!

The ONLY credible version of him/her/it I have ever seen was drawn by Frazetta and, er, frankly speaking I don't know why no one (Peter Jackson, James Cameron, et al) has not jumped on this fabulous bandwagon.  

Best of luck with that - one of my all time favorite and long lost youth passions!

Larry F

nekkidchikken ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 4:49 AM

Same here... And the Frazetta covers are what I remember more than anything. He was a master of the genre then. Yep, the Daz figures would serve well as thoats and Woola, but the banth is a necessity.

And I, too, can't believe the series hasn't been pulled up and made into a movie - especially with cgi.

dphoadley ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 5:14 AM

"And I, too, can't believe the series hasn't been pulled up and made into a movie - especially with cgi."

Could have something to do with ERB Inc. keeping a tight leash on Copyright and publication.  One of the reasons why there was such a dearth of his books in circulation for many years, until certain companies started publishing is works by in spite of copyright objections. 
dph

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

nekkidchikken ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 5:31 AM

Maybe. But the audio version of these books are in the public domain at libravox.org. Free. I just listened to them on my ipod.

davepriceless ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 7:54 AM

Sorry, can't help on the 3D model front, but there was a Princess of Mars film released (or perhaps escaped would be a better word) in 2009. Straight to video job I think starring  Traci Lords.

More info here:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1531911/

There is a big budget version of John Carter of Mars in the works for 2012, which looks like it may be a better production.

More info here:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401729/

Good luck with the hunt.

Larry F ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 8:36 AM · edited Thu, 22 April 2010 at 8:40 AM

Well, davepriceless, that looks interesting.  Thanks for sharing that.  Don't know what it'll be like, but it certainly looks like a promising start.  I'll see it.

Somehow, I can still see "visions" of what Peter Jackson or James Cameron could do with that baby.  Of course, in Avatar there were some horse like steeds that made me think of thoats.  Even my wife, not an ERB fan, remarked on it.

Money spent on some of those creatures in CGI would probably be very well spent.  Thoats charging over the Martian plains, super ferocious banths, and sundry other denizens of the red planet, ought to be great eye candy to say the least..

I think there might be a general perception of John Carter as Tarzan on Mars, which MIGHT hurt it a little bit, and they do have similar names (Tarzan is John Clayton).  Anyhow, some of my favorite characters of all time.

jerr3d ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 12:10 PM

Kaor,  little did ERB realize the nightmare he was giving 3d artists with all those multiple-limb polygon quadrupling creatures!

Roy G ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 2:39 PM

I would dearly love to see the Edgar Rice Burroughs martian books done with an Avatar budget. I read the series when I was in high school and just about couldn't put them down.

dphoadley ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 2:44 PM

Thuvia with the phantom bowmen was one of his best, possibly even THE best of the whole series.
dph

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

Gareee ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 3:10 PM

For the most comprehensive poser barsoom info, go hunt down a thread in Daz's commons.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 4:40 PM

pixar plans to do one of the series AFAIK.  2012.
they'll go with what worked for jackson and cameron - live actors and 3d models with mocap.

jerr3d ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 4:41 PM

Quote -

The ONLY credible version of him/her/it I have ever seen was drawn by Frazetta and, er, frankly speaking I don't know why no one (Peter Jackson, James Cameron, et al) Larry F 

Ya if they make a movie Frazetta's designs would be impossible to top.  (OT James Cameron had BETTER BE working on Battle Angel Alita like he said he was gonna! )

nekkidchikken ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 6:51 PM

"There is or was a large 4-armed male figure over at RDNA sometime back.  I thought of Tars Tarkas et al when I first saw him - months ago. "

Just checked it out. Body looks perfect but the horns would have to go and of course no tusks... Worst part is, the site says the figure is "no longer available anywhere at this time..."

Darn! So we have an acceptable thoat and an acceptable calot...

By the

nekkidchikken ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 6:51 PM · edited Thu, 22 April 2010 at 6:52 PM

"There is or was a large 4-armed male figure over at RDNA sometime back.  I thought of Tars Tarkas et al when I first saw him - months ago. "

Just checked it out. Body looks perfect but the horns would have to go and of course no tusks... Worst part is, the site says the figure is "no longer available anywhere at this time..."

Darn! So we have an acceptable thoat and an acceptable calot...

By the way, the way, the comprehensive thread over at Daz was great, but disappointing as several green men were rendered but none offered for sale or for free.

wrpspeed ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 8:53 PM

i think andrew stanton (pixar/disney) is currently working on
a john carte of mars picture. i am not sure if it is 3d or not yet.

Larry F ( ) posted Fri, 23 April 2010 at 1:30 AM

Now THAT is worth looking into. 

Hope that other shoe doesn't drop and we find out it is a musical!  LOL!  Just kidding.

I think.

jerr3d ( ) posted Fri, 23 April 2010 at 9:11 AM

i remember reading somewhere about the Pixar project also.  But the Barsoom movie has been in production since 1970 by about 5 studios i think x.x

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 24 April 2010 at 12:13 AM

you can pick up the Mars series for free at Project Gutenburg (sp?)...I've been shamlessly raiding it for a week now...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.