Fri, Oct 4, 5:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Photography Forum Challenge - April 2010 "Less is More"

MrsLubner ( ) posted Wed, 21 April 2010 at 7:06 PM

Like Alfred Hitchcock... the shadowed profile of mystery...LOL

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

wild_child ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 5:41 AM

file_451709.jpg

Thanks Clive, PJ, helanker.

Clive - Nice mysterious shadow there. Care to unfold the mystery?

My Fourth and last image.

MrsLubner ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 8:09 AM

You have incredible instincts for balance in your composition. Lizards don't usually have personality that comes through but the way you've done this, you've written in a great one for it.

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

Meisiekind ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 1:57 PM

I am speachless!!!! What amazing art posted here in the past week or so that I have been away! Every single entry is so super cool!!!

Thank you so much PJ for standing in for me!!!! You know how much I appreciate it!
(Oh, and I'm sure that banana was especially for Chip!!! hehehe...)

Guys and gals - you all rock... Let's see some more!!!!

Hugs!!!

"To me, photography is an art of observation. It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them."

Elliott Erwitt

MrsLubner ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 5:32 PM

Yea!  Carin's back!!! :-)

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

TomDart ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 7:17 PM

file_451741.jpg

Carin, PJ does well, carries a big stick, folks listen.

My better example is the image in my gallery Easter Rose, the first one to come up if you visit my gallery for a peek..

This one might be less but I wonder and what do you think...the concrete block at the left seems to belong but it totally competes with the dock.  Without the block, I see the dock. With the block, I see the block first and the dock is secondary.  Interesting how that works.

TomDart ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 7:27 PM

file_451745.jpg

Here 'tis the other version..I think this works better.

MrsLubner ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 9:24 PM

Ya know, Tom, there is an aesthetic value to the second shot that is clean and organized. It definitely has appeal but... the first one is imperfect in composition. For me, its the imperfection that intrigues me...

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

TomDart ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 9:48 PM

PJ,  I think similar thoughts were in me at the time and that is why two uploads.  I do like the first one, even if off balance.  It is not so sterile as the second...for each to choose.

Meisiekind ( ) posted Fri, 23 April 2010 at 2:52 AM

I know she carriers a big stick Tom!!! I'm so scared of her and also listens when she talks!!

Tom - I also love the second one better for all the reason you and PJ mentioned! Well done!

"To me, photography is an art of observation. It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them."

Elliott Erwitt

auntietk ( ) posted Fri, 23 April 2010 at 9:08 AM

Welcome back, Dierbaar!    Ek mis jou vrek baie!

I like the version with the block, Tom.  I saw the dock first, but the block held my attention at the same time.  Sort of like having Sunday dinner at grandma's and the pie is sitting right there on the sideboard staring at you.  To my eye, the block adds an anchor.  Also, when you left in the block, you cropped the picture off center, which I like better than the more symmetrical crop without the block.  I think it's a personal preference difference ... both versions are excellent!

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."  ...  Robert Capa

BobKemper ( ) posted Fri, 23 April 2010 at 2:09 PM

On Tom's photos: (full size)

In the photo without the block I find my eyes bouncing around all over the place looking for something. I should be focusing on the dock, but somehow it doesn't seem to lock me in. For the one with the block I see the block first, but it seems to help put everything else in place. They're both great photos, but if I was going to hang one of these on the wall at home or work I'd go for the one with the block.

Thank you for uploading these two right behind each other. I don't think I'd have caught on to the effect if they weren't together.

BobKemper ( ) posted Sat, 24 April 2010 at 12:59 PM

file_451801.jpg

Less Is More, more or less.  :-)

Meisiekind ( ) posted Sat, 24 April 2010 at 3:58 PM

Funny - I just saw this in the galleries and thought - it will be great for the challenge... and here it is! Well done indeed!

Elliott Erwitt

kgb224 ( ) posted Sat, 24 April 2010 at 5:08 PM · edited Sat, 24 April 2010 at 5:09 PM

file_451810.jpg

Here is my entry for  The More Or Less Photography Forum Challenge.

Meisiekind ( ) posted Sun, 25 April 2010 at 1:22 AM

Christo, welcome to the forum with this perfect image! What a wonderful shot with the perfect reflection! It looks like a Acacia flower! Well done!!
Looking forward to see more of your "less is more" images here!!!

Elliott Erwitt

TomDart ( ) posted Sun, 25 April 2010 at 6:55 AM

Christo, well done.  :  )  This single flower with reflection is a beautiful view  this Sunday morning.

kgb224 ( ) posted Sun, 25 April 2010 at 8:08 AM

Quote - Christo, welcome to the forum with this perfect image! What a wonderful shot with the perfect reflection! It looks like a Acacia flower! Well done!!
Looking forward to see more of your "less is more" images here!!!

Thank You Carin.

kgb224 ( ) posted Sun, 25 April 2010 at 8:09 AM

Quote - Christo, well done.  :  )  This single flower with reflection is a beautiful view  this Sunday morning.

Thank you my friend.

Meisiekind ( ) posted Mon, 26 April 2010 at 5:39 AM

file_451906.jpg

Since I have seen all the wonderful entries so far, I actually feel a bit hesitant to enter my last two images... But hey - I'm brave!!! ![](http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/art/emoticons/lol.gif)

This image I have actually captured in Namibia. This is jackal tracks on the beach. (Sorry Tara - I know you entered a similar shot... But great minds think alike!!)

Elliott Erwitt

Meisiekind ( ) posted Mon, 26 April 2010 at 5:41 AM

file_451907.jpg

My last entry here is just an autumn leaf that I have captured on my lawn yesterday! I found it quite strange that it was lying there all on its own - as if to say... snap me for the challenge!! Hehehe...

Elliott Erwitt

auntietk ( ) posted Mon, 26 April 2010 at 8:47 AM

Great shots, Dierbaar!  I love the jackal tracks in particular.  They're so sharp and clear!  We don't have jackals on the beach here, so this is also "locally exotic" to me!  :)

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."  ...  Robert Capa

babuci ( ) posted Mon, 26 April 2010 at 11:57 PM

file_451944.jpg

Geez so may great pictures. Pj I was not ignore your encouragment but my lung decided to go for a short hospital visit. Just got back 2 days ago. Here is a simply food shot. I only eat a cheese only...lol.

seeyus  T

Chaosphoto ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2010 at 12:31 AM · edited Tue, 27 April 2010 at 12:31 AM

file_451945.jpg

I had but a moment to decide how to take this picture as we zipped past in a boat. Should I take the whole house or just the window. In the end I decided "less is more" without even realising it

Chaosphoto ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2010 at 12:44 AM

file_451946.jpg

Thought I might put a second image in. A young lady a photographed  a while back in colour. I was just messing around and got rid of the colour then got rid of just about everything else in the image except her eyes and to a lesser extent her lips. I'm not exactly experienced with portraits but I do like the result so maybe some of you might as well :).

babuci ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2010 at 12:49 AM

@ Chaosphoto
Lots of colors on the window shot and a very good thinking to get just a close up instead of the full house.

The mono is so impressive with a minimal dark highlight.

seeya  T

Meisiekind ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2010 at 1:14 AM

Tunde - wonderful choice and awesome image!

Martin - welcome to the challenge my friend! The window is WOW... I agree with Tunde - grabbing just the window was the correct choice! And the portrait - incredible mono! Very well done on both accounts!!!

Elliott Erwitt

auntietk ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2010 at 8:34 AM

Love the high-key portrait work, Martin!  That rocks!

Charberry ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2010 at 11:36 AM

That portrait is really nice.  It puts more emphasis on her facial features, with a hint of the rest.  Love it.

Art By Charlene
http://www.artbycharlene.net/

evielouise ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2010 at 4:58 PM · edited Tue, 27 April 2010 at 4:59 PM

file_451978.jpg

Bought some baby clothes and just took a picture it sure looks like one fat baby with the size allowed though:lol

Meisiekind ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2010 at 2:25 AM

Very cute... I love little girl clothes! Welcome to the challenge!

Elliott Erwitt

babuci ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2010 at 7:22 AM · edited Wed, 28 April 2010 at 7:23 AM

file_452007.jpg

Some cold abstract...Blur created by zooming while shooting.

seeyus  T

micturn ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2010 at 7:35 AM

I really should check this thread more often! Some amazing work here

Meisiekind ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2010 at 8:26 AM

Tunde - wow - what an amazing result! I love what you did! The depth that you have created is just amazing!

Micturn - please join the fun and learning experience! Looking forward to seeing you post here!!

Elliott Erwitt

auntietk ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2010 at 9:14 AM

That's awesome, Tunde!  Very cool.

evielouise ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2010 at 11:02 AM

file_452010.jpg

thank you for accepting the dress picture: I believe I can do another?? love that one babuci~ just  took one of my paper weight

Meisiekind ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2010 at 11:06 AM

Cool - I love the bubbles in the glass!
Fun eh??

Elliott Erwitt

babuci ( ) posted Thu, 29 April 2010 at 1:14 AM

Thank you Ladies!

seeyus T

dochtersions ( ) posted Sat, 01 May 2010 at 2:14 AM

Hello everybody <3

It's a pity, i did' not receive any message from here the last weeks '(
I thought nobody had post anything at all.
But that's a big mistake. Now I see such beauty's to admire.
Congratulations from here, to all those superb photographers.
Stunning art to look at.

Wishing you all a sunshine weekend, in all kind of 'way's'.
Greetings from Mies.

Meisiekind ( ) posted Sat, 01 May 2010 at 2:19 AM

Thank you Mies!
Be sure to check in tomorrow when the new month's Challenge should be up and running!
Have a great weekend too!
Carin

Elliott Erwitt

evielouise ( ) posted Wed, 12 May 2010 at 8:57 AM

file_452755.jpg

ok as of this pass mothers day when all the men cooked for us ladies here is a meat dish chicken ,pork,steak,yummy!~ taken by yours truly;

aksirp ( ) posted Sat, 29 May 2010 at 1:09 PM

file_453632.jpg

hi friends! less is more - i try it ![](http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/art/emoticons/wink.gif)

evielouise ( ) posted Sat, 29 May 2010 at 1:17 PM

Thank you
Is this over ??
did the fat lady sing

lol for your health!!......keep smilng

Meisiekind ( ) posted Sat, 29 May 2010 at 1:19 PM

Lovely!

Elliott Erwitt

aksirp ( ) posted Sat, 29 May 2010 at 1:43 PM

thank you ladies, dont know if it is over...
have a nice sunday!!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.