Mon, Sep 9, 6:48 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Can Poser use a transparent background?

radstorm ( ) posted Mon, 26 April 2010 at 1:18 PM · edited Mon, 12 August 2024 at 5:08 AM

Hi everyone, I was wondering if the newer versions of poser can do this. I mean perhaps and animation of  the G2 people, animals, etc only. So they could be layered on top of another avi movie of moving scenery, and so on?

i/e movie in/on a movie, etc

thanks

papillon68 ( ) posted Mon, 26 April 2010 at 3:42 PM

I don't know if it can be done also with avi's, but on Mac platform you can render the animation in Quicktime format with the alpha channel (Million of colors +).
Hope this helps.

visit my blog:  www.alessandromastronardi.com

My Rendo Store

radstorm ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2010 at 1:37 AM

Thanks for the tip..will give that a try :)

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2010 at 4:32 PM

You could always render as a series of stills (that's a good idea in any case because you can restart it from the last scene if it crashes or something) and save those as PSD, TIFF or PNG, all of which contains the alpha channel. Poser's usual grey background is an alpha channel by default. Whenever that's visible, it can be used as an alpha mask.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

adh3d ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2010 at 11:00 AM

I think that if you render your animation against a white background and you have no light in the scene, you get your scene like a black silhouettes, then invert the result sequence and you'll get a alpha channel of your render. I don't try it but I think it can work.

adh3d website

radstorm ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2010 at 12:23 PM

Thanks so much for all the tips.. The main reason I want to do this, is cut down render times of doing a competed scene. My theory is, just render the character, animation, then do an overlay using a non-linear movie editor containing the backgrounds. This would really cut down render time, and not have to sacrifice as much detail.

Perhaps even using real movie footage.

Of course plotting the character's walk or action path would still require some planning.

adh3d ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2010 at 3:50 PM

And why don't put the background movie like a background in poser like avi background or image sequence ?

adh3d website

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2010 at 4:04 PM

Quote - And why don't put the background movie like a background in poser like avi background or image sequence ?

While this certainly can be done, it suffers from the problem that you can't see the background movie until it's rendered... and that makes it hard to make sure everything is placed correctly according to the background.. say you have someone walking along a road.. well as you can't see the road (on the movie) chances are you may end up walking on what is beside the road. Unless of course the background movie is shot from an absolute static place 

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

adh3d ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2010 at 5:55 PM

I can see the background in the preview mode , I use to use image sequence instead an avi file, try it.

adh3d website

radstorm ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2010 at 8:49 PM

I guess any way you try it..it will need a lot of calculation. I did try the avi bg..and as trekkie said..you cant see it until you render.. Have not tried it as image sequence yet..but once again wont that just put the load right back on poser? Poser isn't exactly noted for being ram or render time friendly. 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.