Sun, Sep 22, 2:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: Poser Pro 2010 makes Posette look good!

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Fri, 16 April 2010 at 3:42 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 2:34 PM

file_451391.jpg

Sorry for getting excited so late...

Poser Pro 2010 came today and I have been playing. I knocked out a quicky render with Posette wearing a freebie skin from Happyworldland which I got from Posette Forever, and some hair I made for her. I didn't expect much but the quality of the render blew me away. I have never got Posette to look this good. The renderer in Poser 2010 must be an improvement over Poser 8. I am pleased.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch

drifterlee ( ) posted Fri, 16 April 2010 at 3:43 PM

She looks good!

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 16 April 2010 at 3:51 PM

Oh, dph is gonna give ya a big smooch for using his girl! LOL

Laurie

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 16 April 2010 at 3:54 PM

looks bad without the shadows.

with all due respect you could do this kind of render in poser 7

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Fri, 16 April 2010 at 3:57 PM

I like her too Laurie, but I struggle to get her to look remotely lifelike. This texture is not a re-map. It is an original low-res Posette texture. I may be able to use her more now, which is great, since she is quite efficient to work with.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 16 April 2010 at 4:31 PM

Oh, I know it's not a remap, but it's definitely Mr. Hoadley's favorite ;o). Not mine tho...lol.

Laurie

Marque ( ) posted Fri, 16 April 2010 at 9:21 PM

I think you did a good job. Posette is still around...check your check yourself out line recently? Posette is at Target, Walmart and Home Depot, showing you how to use the self checkouts. You brought back some pleasant memories with that texture for her. I remember going to Happyworldland myself to get some decent stuff for her, before all the newer textures and models came out. Stay excited...that's how good renders get done.  8^)

Eric Walters ( ) posted Fri, 16 April 2010 at 10:11 PM

Posette Metacreations. my old friend! How could I have forgotten her!?

As Laurie mentioned- check DPHoadley's work in updating and remapping dear Posette!

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Sat, 17 April 2010 at 12:18 AM

My main use for Posette is in scenes with several figures. I have to be sparing with her, since she doesn't do African very well and my images have to be representative of the South African population (over 80% African). She gives you a good shape for the poly count.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

LadyElf ( ) posted Sat, 17 April 2010 at 1:14 AM

Ah Posette :)  I knew her well many years ago.

She looks really good in that render ;)

I miss using her, she has a sweetness that Vicki never had. 

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 17 April 2010 at 4:11 AM

Quote - looks bad without the shadows.

with all due respect you could do this kind of render in poser 7

.... P6....5.....even 4.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Sat, 17 April 2010 at 5:04 AM

I might not be from this planet, for I don't like beer , soccer and I don't like posette ;)

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Sat, 17 April 2010 at 9:04 AM · edited Sat, 17 April 2010 at 9:08 AM

file_451433.JPG

Of course the image could be rendered in earlier versions of Poser, I think some people are missing the point. To make it clearer, here is a comparison. On the left, rendered with Poser 8. On the right, with Poser 2010. Same scene, same light, same settings.

To my eye, there is an unsightly bulge in the eyebrow in the Poser 8 render, as well as a funny pink stripe where her lips meet. The skin looks less even. Shadows are more noticeable, and shadows could be desirable.

Having done this, I didn't think it would be necessary to also render the scene in Poser Pro (I don't have seven) and possibly with the Poser 4 renderer. That would definitely have required different lighting and settings so the comparison would not be so clear anyway, since  my  low skill level with the older versions would contaminate the results.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Sat, 17 April 2010 at 10:43 AM

In P2010 there is gamma correction checked by default in the render settings.Maybe that's the difference.

KimberlyC ( ) posted Sat, 17 April 2010 at 11:24 PM

Wow.. not bad. :)

dphoadley ( ) posted Sun, 18 April 2010 at 12:06 AM

Quote - Oh, dph is gonna give ya a big smooch for using his girl! LOL

Laurie

Smooch! Smooch! Smooch! Smooch! Smooch! Smooch! Smooch! Smooch! Smooch! Smooch! Smooch! Smooch! Smooch! Smooch! Smooch! Smooch! Smooch! Smooch! Smooch! Smooch! Smooch!...

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Sun, 18 April 2010 at 12:57 AM

Phew, I'm breathless!

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Paloth ( ) posted Sun, 18 April 2010 at 1:15 AM

I just noticed that the eyebrow geometry is visible in both renders, though much more prominent in the Poser 8 render. This shouldn't be happening. It seems the eyebrows don't have an alpha map to remove the unnatural edges.

There is a more washed out appearance in the second render. It is generally brighter and might replicate a decent airbrush painting if you used white lights and got rid of the light shining up the nostrils. 

Incidentally, I've been noticing eyes with the realism of a watercolor painting even in some renders of the latest figures from Daz. I'm not sure of what is causing that. I doubt that it is intentional. 

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

dphoadley ( ) posted Sun, 18 April 2010 at 4:51 AM

file_451499.jpg

Posette has an eternal beauty about her that always enchants me anew.  Here is my Sophie Marceau morph of her, for my Firelight series.  I found a better hear to use with her than what I had before.

Rendered in Poser Pro 2008.
dph

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Sun, 18 April 2010 at 5:26 AM

That looks really great, very delicate and that hair is perfect.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

dphoadley ( ) posted Sun, 18 April 2010 at 5:35 AM · edited Sun, 18 April 2010 at 5:37 AM

Here you also see how a very GOOD V3 texture can enhance even what is now considered a lo-rez mesh (albeit, at the time of Poser 4, Posette was considered to be Hi-rez!).  Since I'm not looking for photorealism in my renders, but rather illustration, Posette does quite nice for me.  If I want more, I can always use my Viki2 remap, or even V3; but I prefer to work with Posette. -call me perverse, call me old-fashioned, call me a caveman, -for me those are compliments rather than criticisms.
dph
PS: and in Poser Pro 2010, you can try the morph brush to smooth the eyebrows a bit, so that their geometry shows up a bit less!

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 18 April 2010 at 6:49 AM

You have not truly rendered in comparison with both P8 and PP 2010.  Timberwolf has pointed out a significant feature which is omitted in P8: gamma correction.  If you would like to make the skin texture better in both situations, apply BB's VSSPR3 Prop to Posette and rerender with raytraced lighting at lower intensities.

dphoadley ( ) posted Sun, 18 April 2010 at 7:14 AM · edited Sun, 18 April 2010 at 7:15 AM

file_451503.jpg

Dork looks pretty good too, textures in modern M3 textures, and rendered in modern versions of Poser! This is Dork with my Stephen Dillane morph for my Firelight series. Rendered in Poser Pro 2008 dph

jerr3d ( ) posted Sun, 18 April 2010 at 11:20 AM

Nice to see there is still interest in Posette.  She's one of the few 3d models that Poser came with that i actually liked.  I think i still have some of her images lurking in my gallery ^ ^

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Sun, 18 April 2010 at 11:24 AM

I must try the morph brush on those eyebrows.
And what you have done with Dork is truly remarkable.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Eric Walters ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 1:24 AM · edited Mon, 19 April 2010 at 1:26 AM

OK I';ll bite!

Since you asked to be called a Caveman- DP you are a CAVEMAN! Please keep being one- :-) It is fun to see my old french friend Mademoiselle Posette!

I still feel like a CAD for breaking up with her to spend more time with Vicky, :-) Then I dumped her for Vicky 2, then 3, and now 4.2. How shallow! I am glad they are not yet programmed with AI and emotions- then I would really feel guilty! Vicky 10?

BTW: I have been around long enough to remember what a BREAKTHROUGH Posette and Dork were!

Someday V4,2 will be looked on with disdain by alll those V7 users- with her realistically translucent and pliable skin and automatic animation- point her in a direction, specify speed and she walks runs, and climbs over obstacles automatically....

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 2:10 AM

file_451538.jpg

*"Someday V4,2 will be looked on with disdain by alll those V7 users- with her realistically translucent and pliable skin and automatic animation- point her in a direction, specify speed and she walks runs, and climbs over obstacles automatically...." * And the heathen old-fashioned Caveman that I am, I'll probably still be rendering with Posette!

Here's a preview of my next scene in my Firelight series.
dph

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 6:03 AM

If that is your next scene, I think you better tone down the lighting considerably.  It is way overlit.

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 6:35 AM

It's supposed to be overlit.  There's a bright fire in the fireplace, contrasting with the total darkness of the rest of the room.
dph

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 8:27 AM

Well I think Posette still has the best legs of all the Poser ladies.
I downloaded your V3 remap for her dph, a good texture never hurt anybody.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 9:25 AM

And actually, Dave, the scene looks very nice.  My compliments.

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 10:56 AM

file_451555.jpg

Here is a revised render of that scene.  I toned down the firelight to an extent, but not by too much, as I want Posette's lovely face to still be visible.  Tell me which one is better. dph @ Nanette Tredoux: Please forgive me for hijacking your thread.  Hope you liked the smooches!  Tell me which PosetteV3 you downloaded (there are two, one with genitals, and one without).  The one with genitals is MAT posable, but the one without isn't, it's textures have to be applaid by hand in the MAT room. Yours truly, David P. Hoadley

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 10:59 AM

file_451556.jpg

Here she meets her paramour for the 1st time, hope he doesn't like like a degenerate.  Maybe I need to work on his expressions a bit more. dph

WandW ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 12:26 PM

I think he just needs a bit more light on his face.

The shot of her in the doorway is really lovely. :wub:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 12:48 PM

I prefer the second render although there is still too much lighting in the scene.  If you want to bring out her features, you may consider using a shadowless spotlight to her face.  The red should be toned down, it's way too overpowering.  Decrease the diffuse_value.  The same with the degener....er....gentleman.  Either there is too much diffuse color for the chair and wooden table or their shaders are plugged into the wrong node.  Wow, where did he get that magnum bottle of wine?

dphoadley ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 2:25 AM

file_451705.jpg

Here again is a closer view of my Heroine from my Firelight series.  She's supposed to be stylized on the face of French Actress Sophie Marceau, and though she falls a bit short of that goal, I still like my end results.  When you actually try to base the face upon that of a real person, I do think that you achieve a bit more character than otherwise.  Posette is sophisticated enough to achive believable character, while being non-realistic enough to steer clear of the 'Uncanny Valley' effect.  She falls somewhere between the unreal realism of the more heavy weight behemoth figures, and the 2D Anime cartoons: overall to me, she's very pleasing to the eye. dph

Mogwa ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 12:10 PM

That is incredible. If I had not been told that was the dork, I would never guessed what the figure was.

Quote - Here she meets her paramour for the 1st time, hope he doesn't like like a degenerate.  Maybe I need to work on his expressions a bit more.
dph

dphoadley ( ) posted Fri, 23 April 2010 at 9:31 AM · edited Fri, 23 April 2010 at 9:35 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Attached Link: Firelight-2d: The Illicit Liaison: 1st Tryst (Nudity)

Come see the latest installment of my Firelight series: Remapped and Retextured Posette & Dork in intimate surroundings!!! Now tell me that my MUST use only High-End DAZ figures for this kind of work. Now, this has all been done with Poser Pro 2008 and Photoshop layer manipulation.  I'm sure with Poser Pro 2010 and IDL, I could get even better results. dph

Apple_UK ( ) posted Fri, 23 April 2010 at 12:01 PM

DHP, your Possete rendert may not have photo realism but it does have the charm of impressionism, and as such works very well for me

Apple_UK ( ) posted Fri, 23 April 2010 at 12:01 PM

DHP, your Possete rendert may not have photo realism but it does have the charm of impressionism, and as such works very well for me

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sat, 24 April 2010 at 7:07 AM

'DHP, your Posette render may not have photo realism but it does have the charm of impressionism, and as such works very well for me'

I agree. While razor sharp realism is always impressive, it sometimes seems to be almost an end in itself. Whether it's nostalgia for childhood storybooks or an appreciation of some of the new animated films, I find that a softer more illustration like look is very effective and appealing - especially if you're telling a story. I remember when they started producing photo illustrated comics. The novelty wore off quickly and I realized that they weren't nearly as engaging as the illustrated ones. That's not to say that you can't tell a good story with virtual digital photos, it's just a different esthetic.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

radstorm ( ) posted Mon, 26 April 2010 at 1:21 PM

Posette still rocks :)

dphoadley ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2010 at 12:58 AM · edited Tue, 27 April 2010 at 12:59 AM

@Apple_UK;
'DHP, your Posette render may not have photo realism but it does have the charm of impressionism, and as such works very well for me'

Thank you  Apple_UK, impressionism works very well for me! :biggrin:

@lmckenzie;
I agree, the naivety of the drawn comics has more appeal.

@radstorm;
Posette not only still rocks, she also ROLLS!  And I juz luv 'er rock & roll! :lol:
dph

radstorm ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2010 at 1:48 AM

yeah dp..I still use posette often..mostly as a stunt double for the more complicated characters in animations

I think with all the tools we have now..posette could be improved upon and still be in the running, as you have shown. :)

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2010 at 1:50 AM · edited Tue, 27 April 2010 at 1:51 AM

David, your work with Posette is very instructive for me. I learn from it and it inspires me. The level of realism in your images is very effective, they could be paintings rather than photographs. In fact I am tempted to post-process one of them with an impressionist filter just to see how it looks. The style is appropriate for the period of this story.

I have the manual-texture PosetteV3. Where can I get the mat-poseable one?

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

dphoadley ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2010 at 2:37 AM

Quote - David, your work with Posette is very instructive for me. I learn from it and it inspires me. The level of realism in your images is very effective, they could be paintings rather than photographs. In fact I am tempted to post-process one of them with an impressionist filter just to see how it looks. The style is appropriate for the period of this story.

I have the manual-texture PosetteV3. Where can I get the mat-poseable one?

Tell me which one, and I'll be happy to send you the original Psd to work with.  As for PosetteV3, you could open the object file in a text editor and rename the MAT zones to conform with those of V3.  OR, I can do it for you, and send you the revised object.
dph

SeanMartin ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2010 at 12:00 PM

To return to the OP for a moment...

I know exactly what you mean about the change in render. I felt the same rush when I saw the difference between the P4 engine and Firefly.

And later today, when I get home from work, I'll post some of my old work with the dork, if anyone's interested.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

dphoadley ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2010 at 12:15 PM

Quote - To return to the OP for a moment...

I know exactly what you mean about the change in render. I felt the same rush when I saw the difference between the P4 engine and Firefly.

And later today, when I get home from work, I'll post some of my old work with the dork, if anyone's interested.

We're interested!  Of course we're interested!!!
dph

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2010 at 12:25 PM

I used to use Claudio for the Dork, long after M2 was out ;o). I used Eve for Posette for a long time too.

That being said, while I might use Dork or Posette for a background figure, I wouldn't use them for much else with nicer figures being available. I've got a decent machine, renders without many problems, so there's no reason I can't use a newer, higher res/smoother model :o). There are alternatives to Daz and Poser content figures that are really nice to work with and get great results :o).

Laurie

SeanMartin ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2010 at 5:03 PM

file_451980.jpg

Well, a few pieces that I found of my work for the poor beleagured Dork.

SeanMartin ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2010 at 5:03 PM

file_451981.jpg

And another.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.