Fri, Oct 4, 5:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Photography Forum Challenge - May 2010 - "Shadows"

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Tue, 04 May 2010 at 11:49 PM

file_452331.jpg

Oh man, I can't believe time has gone so fast. Seems like I just read the info on April's challenge and here is the May challenge. (I'll blame it all on having to do my taxes!!!!)

Love the silhouette, Flannelman, and the dogs and human shadows. Still trying to figure yours out kbrog, part butterfly, part kissing chickens?

Anyway, I just happened to be out at the Joliet Iron Works Historic Site this morning and was intrigued by some of the soft shadows the nearby trees cast on the remains of the old furnace stacks. So here is a shot of that..

Actually the whole place was rather fascinating and I'm planning another walk around there soon.

And just a litte FYI via Wikipedia if you want to know more about the site. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joliet_Iron_and_Steel_Works

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

So where do they go when a photograph leaves you speechless? 

Meisiekind ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2010 at 1:28 AM

kbrog - Welcome to the challenge!! What a cracker of a shot! Is it a dragon?? I love it and it is perfect!

LovelyPoetess -  Isn't is scary how time actually flies. This is already week 19 of 2010!!! And I guess if you are having fun with taxes, time even goes quicker!! Hehehe...
What a beautiful image you have placed. I love the softness on the rather harsh and worn stone! A very fresh idea!!!

It is a beautiful sunny day today here after 2 weeks of solid rain! So hey, maybe I can catch a shadow or two!!!

"To me, photography is an art of observation. It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them."

Elliott Erwitt

dochtersions ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2010 at 1:58 AM

Good morning (for me the clock says so ;-))

Kim (bkrog) I guess this are shadows of very big and wonderful shells.
anyway a stunning picture.

LovelyPoetess, this is an interesting place, also for 'playing with shadows', looks great.

Next time I hope to drop a shadow here too :mellow: (it's the first day without rain today)

Seeyou
Mies.

babuci ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2010 at 4:58 AM

file_452355.jpg

I see this every morning. The sun shines through a lace curtain and hits a wardrobe.

seeyus  T

dochtersions ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2010 at 5:59 AM

Just beautiful, Babuci.
To see this every morning.
Now we can enjoy it here too ;-)

auntietk ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2010 at 8:51 AM

Oh Tunde, the windows in your house must all be so beautiful!  I can't believe you've held out on us with this one!  LOL!  It's my favorite so far.  Gorgeous!!

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."  ...  Robert Capa

Meisiekind ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2010 at 9:34 AM

file_452362.jpg

Most amazing image Tunde! What a sight to wake up to!! Well done!

I have decided to upload an ass and his shadow - a bit of a lighter mood!!

"To me, photography is an art of observation. It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them."

Elliott Erwitt

kbrog ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2010 at 10:50 AM

Meisiekind - Nice Ass!  Shadow that is.  ;D

Yes that is a Oriental jade Dragon casting a shadow on the wall behind my fireplace mantel. Daytime using a flashlight.

bmac62 ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2010 at 11:00 AM · edited Wed, 05 May 2010 at 11:11 AM

Carin - Isn't he cute peeking around the corner at us. Nice crisp shadow in the bright African sun.
Tunde - Like the colors and your tilt that I haven't seen in awhile :)
Yvonne - Wow...didn't know about the Joliet Iron Works...would make a great place to poke around.
Kim - I've spent time looking...I'll bet you didn't do those shadows with your hands and fingers ;-)
Helle - Like your Easter Island Head complete with subtle shadows.
Flannelman - Your doggie reminds of a one eyed Jack. Stark shaddow looks great. 

Bill:)

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes."

Meisiekind ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2010 at 11:17 AM

LMAO @ Kim!!!! He is quite a cutie - the ass I mean!

Thanks Bill - yeah, the African sun cast wonderful shadows - when it shines!!!! We had 2 solid weeks of rain, but today was sunny! Yay!!!

Elliott Erwitt

aksirp ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2010 at 2:06 PM

Hello Tunde, wonderful warderobe with shadows on, you have every morning sunshine?
love the warm color of wood and the sunshine and shadow on very much!!!
greetings from clouds and rainy days..
Priska

aksirp ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2010 at 2:12 PM

sorry all, made a mistake have send twice time the same... would send my congratulations to the nice ass of carin, he is so lovely, and his shadow so clear, must be very sunny at your place!
have a good day and thank you for the idea, love it
priska

dochtersions ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2010 at 3:10 PM

How awesome, Carin. So lovely (shadow)!

babuci ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2010 at 5:44 PM

@ Tara, thank you.
@Carin, love the shadow of the humble animal.
@Bill, if I have a chance I will tilt. Sometimes suitable most of the time not but I am a rule breaker...lol.
@aksirp, well we do have lots of sunny day at a moment, but trust me the time will come when we will have rain only. This is australia and I love it.

seeyus  T

babuci ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2010 at 6:05 PM

file_452380.jpg

I was experimenting with backlit (flash). Like how is turned out.

seeya  T

auntietk ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2010 at 6:15 PM

Oooohhh!  My favorite, Tunde!  Light and glass.  The shadows are A-1.  Gorgeous work!

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."  ...  Robert Capa

babuci ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2010 at 8:02 PM

lol...and where is yours. You so good at glass and shadows...

seeya  T

auntietk ( ) posted Wed, 05 May 2010 at 10:33 PM

file_452403.jpg

I went through my files from Saturday (which was in May, so it counts for the challenge!!) and found one for you.  This is the ceiling on the ferry.

MrsLubner ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2010 at 12:07 AM

file_452408.jpg

OK, Flannelman revved my engines too... got out and took this one. I have several pots of plants under my gazebo but I have a brick wall they cast shadows on - not wood.

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

MrsLubner ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2010 at 12:09 AM

file_452409.jpg

And if that's not enough... I also discovered the late afternoon light gave a blaze to one side of my tall cactus but left the other side in total darkness. Turned the camera sideways for this one...

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

babuci ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2010 at 1:18 AM

@Tara. Fascinating to see a soft shadow on the ceiling along with a bright yellow lights.

@Pj. Lovely shadow of your garden on the wall. Like nature doing its own picture. ...and I love the cacty spikes.

seeyus  T

prutzworks ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2010 at 1:58 AM

file_452414.jpg

woodies

minder is meer

helanker ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2010 at 2:04 AM

WOW I cant begin to say how i enjoy all this. I cant go into every one, but i love what i see in here.

aksirp ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2010 at 2:35 AM

prutzworks: i like the very clear shadow of your woodies!
auntietk found even shadow over the hads... there is shadow everywhere if there is light!
even the small cactus pin makes shadows, oh, i will try to take  more pictures  of  this theme... 

prutzworks ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2010 at 2:46 AM

thanx,  imo this month a very interesting theme, wit very cool entries

minder is meer

Meisiekind ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2010 at 2:47 AM

@ Tunde - trust you to get shadows in color!!! Brilliant - I love it!

@ Tara - oh my friend - trust you to look up and find a wonderful shot!!! great lines and shadows and a perfect shot for the challenge!

@ PJ - I'm glad you got some encouragement!!! Love the shadows on the wall - reminds me of a song! The cactus is divine with the wonderful light on one side and the complete dark shadow on the other!!

@ Martin - oh yes - I love this. The diagonal lines also add some dimension to the woodies' shadows! Very cool indeed!

Gosh - this is so much fun! We've had sun since yesterday - so now I need to get out and take a pic or two!!

Wel done all!!!

Elliott Erwitt

prutzworks ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2010 at 5:03 AM · edited Thu, 06 May 2010 at 5:05 AM

file_452418.jpg

shadow of a transparent curtain on a tiled floor and some photoshop filters

minder is meer

MrsLubner ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2010 at 8:07 AM

Love that effect, Martin.

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

dochtersions ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2010 at 8:16 AM

Oh, what a fantastic pictures.
I was so far not succeeded, and now I see all these stunning ones, I dare hardly, ha ha.
Congratulations on your great results everybody., I love to look at them.
Till soon ,
Bye, Mies.

prutzworks ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2010 at 8:19 AM

dankjewel Mies, suk6

minder is meer

dochtersions ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2010 at 8:24 AM · edited Thu, 06 May 2010 at 8:27 AM

file_452422.jpg

Do you know what those two flower pots here, are doing together?

dochtersions ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2010 at 8:33 AM

file_452423.jpg

**This is my music stand, with a foot stool there, for when I play guitar. You also see the reflection of the windows.

Say it with: "music in the shade."

hey, hey!,
just play
now I am fast away
(LOL) Mies.**

MrsLubner ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2010 at 9:11 AM

Those are wonderful shots and they infer the reality behind the shadows so very well. 

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

auntietk ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2010 at 9:12 AM

Excellent entries, everybody!  This is a great challenge.  What fun!  I'll keep my eyes peeled for more!

wild_child ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2010 at 12:08 PM

file_452428.jpg

WOW!! Fantastic shots.

My humble entry, hope it qualifies. :)

Meisiekind ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2010 at 1:28 PM

@ Martin - I love the effect of the curtain on the floor and the postwork is super cool!

@ Mies - WOW - wonderful! It looks like the potplants are "holding hands"!!! I love the image with the music stand and all the different shadows in play!!!

@ wild_child - welcome to the Challenge! Super entry. I love it. You can throw two more in!!! Looking forward to seeing more from you!!

Today was such a busy day, but I am catching up - slowly but surely!!!

Elliott Erwitt

aksirp ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2010 at 2:19 PM

to wild child: not humble at all, very intresting!
to Mies: sunny place for playing guitare!
thats realy fun with you all!

helanker ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2010 at 5:03 PM

file_452443.jpg

Man,  what am i going to do the rest of the month?  This is my last already and I had difficulties choosing between 3 images I made lately.

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2010 at 8:42 PM

Wow, so many more neat images! Funny how when we look shadows pop up everywhere.
Gotta give a real thumbs up to the green drinks & their shadows, nice work Tunde.

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2010 at 9:00 PM

file_452454.jpg

I found these structural shadows interesting (and all the greenery creeping across the bridge)

Meisiekind ( ) posted Fri, 07 May 2010 at 2:05 AM

@ Helle... LOL... Poor you for having to make such a tough choice! Your image is superb! I love the shadow of the tree in the window and the the reflection of the branches at the top!
Great one!

@ LovelyPoetess - Marvelous lines and shadows casted by the bridge! So well seen!!!

Man - I need to get out this weekend!!!

Elliott Erwitt

prutzworks ( ) posted Fri, 07 May 2010 at 2:15 AM

@ Mies: are that sanseverias? looks if they are blossoming
@ Helen: cool shades on that blinds
@ wild-child: cool backlight shot, great contrasts
@ LovelyPoetess: cool looking structures

minder is meer

auntietk ( ) posted Sat, 08 May 2010 at 11:55 AM

file_452543.jpg

Mandy's shadow on a map of Kansas.  We were at a park on the Missouri River. 

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Sat, 08 May 2010 at 1:02 PM

Ha! Now why do I get mental images of striped-legged ladies on bicycles after looking at this photo?  😕

dochtersions ( ) posted Sat, 08 May 2010 at 1:13 PM · edited Sat, 08 May 2010 at 1:16 PM

Quote - @ Mies: are that sanseverias? looks if they are blossoming

Yes, Prutzwork, this are Sanseverias, but without blossom.
That was a joke from me.

I have also taken the shadow of an mysterious thing, that I found in our garden.
I put it between that two pots.
(Perhaps that mysterious thing can in that other topic be placed.
Then you can guess what it is. I know now what it is, ha, ha!!)

btw, I don't like Sanseverias, but that are the only ones how will grow there in that place.

Oh, the other pictures are also very great.  
Love the curtains, that bridge, the cute dog.  

I have 2 others shaddows, but, don't know which to choose.  
We will see.  

Great weekend to your all!!  
 Mies.

dochtersions ( ) posted Sat, 08 May 2010 at 1:21 PM

Help :blink: !
I again did something wrong. Everything is become to big in the write-window.
Maybe someone can change this for me.
I try to cancel, and do it new, but without good result.
I'm sorry.:ohmy:
mea culpa ;-) Mies.

Meisiekind ( ) posted Sun, 09 May 2010 at 2:19 AM

Awww Tara - you have captured Mandy!!! I assume you two have become thick as thieves!!! Wonderful shadow of the pooch and I love the KANSAS in the image! Great one!!!!

Elliott Erwitt

kgb224 ( ) posted Sun, 09 May 2010 at 2:55 AM

file_452572.JPG

Here is my shadows capture. Me and my daughter went atop The Complex Roof to capture sunset.

Meisiekind ( ) posted Sun, 09 May 2010 at 3:22 AM

Welcome to the challenge Christo! This is such a cool image - perfect for the challenge! Great one my friend.. Looking forward to see more!!
:-)

Elliott Erwitt

micturn ( ) posted Sun, 09 May 2010 at 4:51 AM

file_452575.jpg

Sorry I'm late :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.