Fri, Oct 4, 3:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: uninstalling ONLY x64

R.P.Studios ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2010 at 5:07 PM · edited Wed, 31 July 2024 at 12:00 PM

is it possible as Photoshop apparently was designed by NASA and likes redundancy... most if not all of my plug ins do not work with 64 bit, so i see no point in having it on my system. Can I do it ?

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.

retrocity ( ) posted Thu, 06 May 2010 at 9:41 PM

as it installs both versions without a prompt to the user, i'm not sure they can be separated easily.

i haven't had the joy  (or problem) with this issue, but i'll look deeper.

scott

SWAMP ( ) posted Fri, 07 May 2010 at 4:15 PM

No, you can’t uninstall just PS 64-bit in the normal way (aka: programs/uninstall).

I did see if just temporarily deleting the folder containing the 64-bit version had any ill effects.
Photoshop CS5 32-bit and Bridge did open and run as usual, BUT that is not to say some problem can or will appear later on down the line.

My advice is to just keep the64-bit version on.

It’s not Photoshop that is being redundant, but the third-party plugin makers dragging their heels.   

In the near future, most of the major players (Nik, onOne, etc.) will have compiled their plugins for 64-bit, and you really want to take full advantage of that.

chuck

R.P.Studios ( ) posted Fri, 07 May 2010 at 4:23 PM

I meant redundant by installing BOTH versions of Photoshop... is this due to the nature of the many many plugins and lack of compatability ?

FYI, i tried to uninstall it and it took all my fonts and forced me to do a system restore...not good on a 3 week old machine :(

SWAMP ( ) posted Fri, 07 May 2010 at 5:56 PM

I understood what you were getting at, and yes it is for the reason that many plugins are not 64-bit compatible (yet).

The problem (for the third-party guys) was CS4 was 64-bit for PC only and not ready for 64-bit Mac users.
They had to wait for CS5 (which supports both 64-bit OS’s) to see what they had to work with for their recompiling.

As a side note: My personal opinion is that maybe around PS CS7, Adobe won’t even offer Photoshop in a 32-bit version.
They are already moving that way with both the new CS5 versions of After Effects and Premier Pro being only 64-bit.

Oh… and sorry to hear about your unsuccessful uninstall attempt.

Adobe products do such a deep system install, that when you mess around with them, they commit Hara-kiri.

chuck

retrocity ( ) posted Fri, 07 May 2010 at 9:03 PM

yeah as swamp mentioned you can do a "pseudo" uninstall by dumping the folder, but you won't really find a problem until you try to use plugin that isn't supported by the 32bit version and the app crashes.

i'd leave both and just deal with the loss of drive space (about 500mb i think...) . 

L8r
scott

R.P.Studios ( ) posted Sat, 08 May 2010 at 3:31 AM

Yeah, this is what i chose to do, i just think it is odd thats alll... but upon this thread i guess it makes sence. I am using CS4, and theres a ton of plug-ins i wouldnt so without

how is the new CS 5 for HDR conversion ?

lindans ( ) posted Wed, 26 May 2010 at 10:53 AM

Why don't you just use the 32bit version of Photoshop you can then use all your plugins, that is what I do, works fine. You might have to associate all your files in Bridge so that it opens automatically in the 32 bit version as opposed to the 64 bit version.

Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face. I am a traveler of both time and space ....Kashmir, Led Zeppelin

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.