Sat, Sep 21, 10:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Monitor calibration hardware...

kenmo ( ) posted Wed, 12 May 2010 at 1:09 PM · edited Sat, 03 August 2024 at 8:25 PM

I use a dual monitor setup on my photo editing and digital painting computer. I also do some 3D rendering and 3D modeling...

I would like to calibrate both of my monitors. On one monitor the images look a little darker and not as vibrant...

My monitors are a 22 inch Acer X223W and a 19 inch Acros 19 F-419...

I thinking on purchasing a Spyder 3 Express  or pantone Huey as they are only about $99 to $109... I've tried software calibration and I never get satisfactory results....

Any opinions or thoughts on these devices? Will it work with a dual monitor system?

Thanks

Ken

inshaala ( ) posted Wed, 12 May 2010 at 2:44 PM · edited Wed, 12 May 2010 at 2:44 PM

you will always get differences in tone / contrast between manufacturers / models - but it will give you a better result.

Check that your vid card can deal with multiple profiles, and also make sure your editing programmes are also working with those profiles.  It is a massive headache to set it all up - my lightroom and photoshop still give me overly warm renderings of photos despite the screen output being neutral...

My main advice would be to do it over a weekend, this isnt something to do one evening after work...

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

andytw ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2010 at 12:36 PM

Attached Link: http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2010/01/07/Datacolor-Spyder3-Express/p1

There is a review of the Spyder 3 Express at the attached link, apparantly it doesn't support dual monitors. You would need to spend a bit more on the Spyder 3 Pro for that.

I believe you will also need to buy the Pantone Huey Pro for multi monotor support rather than the standard version.

kenmo ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2010 at 3:49 PM

Are you suggesting I need to buy both the Spyder & the Huey? I thought they are competing products?

Thanks kindly for the replies....

Ken

inshaala ( ) posted Fri, 14 May 2010 at 2:34 AM

No -  Either the Spyder 3 Pro or the Pantone Huey Pro.

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

Meowgli ( ) posted Fri, 14 May 2010 at 11:55 AM

I use a Spyder 3 pro and it does the job very well. Definitely a worthwhile investment, and an absolute must if you sell your images.

Adam

Adam Edwards Photography

kenmo ( ) posted Fri, 14 May 2010 at 5:02 PM

Thanks kindly....

Does it do luminance?

Meowgli ( ) posted Sat, 15 May 2010 at 4:56 AM

No worries.... not quite sure what you mean by that but it's all pretty much automated. You just reset your monitor to factory standards before starting, adjust the brightness and contrast to the correct levels using on-screen guides proided with the hardware, then leave it to do the rest. :)

Adam Edwards Photography

watapki66 ( ) posted Mon, 17 May 2010 at 10:15 PM

I use the datacolor spyder pro 3 with a dual monitor setup with no problems or issues! I've used the spyder for a number of years and have upgraded to new models, very easy to use!   My calibration is perfect with an epson 7800 printer when the paper is properly profiled.  Highly recommend the spyder3pro! mark

thundering1 ( ) posted Mon, 31 May 2010 at 3:22 PM

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/465156-REG/X_Rite_EODIS2_i1Display_2_Colorimeter_Monitor.html

Every lab I've worked in had an X-Rite color meter, so I went ahead and got the X-Rite color calibration hardware. Went middle of the road on price - there's cheaper, and certainly more expensive, but this little puppy ($189 in the US) works like a charm and was easy to use.

I can't see why it wouldn't work for dual-monitors, but then again, I haven't tried - I use single widescreen monitors for my workstations.

I've heard god things about the Spyder 3 as well.

Hope this helps-

-Lew

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.