Thu, Oct 3, 2:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 7:30 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Poser does not render imported double faced polygons Correctly

gtrdon ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2010 at 8:40 PM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 12:20 PM

I am trying to learn how create some of my own content so I am attempting to model in Lightwave 3D ver 9. Everytime I build something using the create double face Poly tool.
It gives me  blotchy textures in the renders in Poser... Is this normal?? Or will I have to create
two different objects to have a inside and outside view of my objects?

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2010 at 8:44 PM

Poser has never been good at double sided polys.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2010 at 10:00 PM

Poser hates two sided polys. I know it's a pain in the butt. bit if you're modeling something thin like clothing, you'll have to make the cloth one sided and just stick to two sides at the clothing openings. If you're making something like a vase or vessel of some sort, you'll have to add enough thickness so that Poser renders it correctly. If the inside and outside are too close together, Poser does a horrible job.

Laurie

gtrdon ( ) posted Sun, 21 March 2010 at 1:38 PM

Thats what I thought... Thanks for the Tips
gtrdon

Cage ( ) posted Fri, 23 April 2010 at 7:36 PM · edited Fri, 23 April 2010 at 7:37 PM

file_451777.jpg

Have you tried checking "Normals_Forward" where the option is available, on your material shader nodes?  The attached shows a quick test, using the Poser two-sided square prop.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Tue, 25 May 2010 at 11:26 PM · edited Tue, 25 May 2010 at 11:33 PM

I came across this problem a while ago ( http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2787184 - the initial topic was rather vague, but quickly focussed on double-sided polygons).

"Normals Forward" didn't resolve the problem, although it did have an effect - pictures 6 and 7 in my post at the end of the other thread hopefully explain the effect better than my words could!

Using a displacement map to separate the faces was also suggested, but I didn't get round to trying that.

I also had the same strange Poser render artefacts when I accidentally created two duplicate faces (in this case DAZ|Studio also had render artefacts).

The 3Dcheapskate* occasionally posts sensible stuff. Usually by accident.
And it usually uses Poser 11, with units set to inches. Except when it's using Poser 6 or PP2014, or when its units are set to PNU.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and HiveWire3D flavours (the DeviantArt and CGBytes flavour have been discontinued).

gtrdon ( ) posted Wed, 26 May 2010 at 9:20 PM

I just was notified per email that this post was still active. When I came back I realized that my post to thank Cage did not show up.  I must fogot to hit send....So a belated "Thank You" to Cage. Your solution "Normals_Forward" fixed my problem.
3dcheapskape Your results are rather puzzling to me. I guess maybe one of the more gifted 3D experts my have some ideas...Hopefully they will re read  this post.

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Wed, 26 May 2010 at 11:10 PM

"Your results are rather puzzling to me"
I just re-read my last post on that other thread and it puzzled me too!
It wasn't very well written - rather garbled.
I think it was a late-nighter (I'm on GMT+6)   :oS

The 3Dcheapskate* occasionally posts sensible stuff. Usually by accident.
And it usually uses Poser 11, with units set to inches. Except when it's using Poser 6 or PP2014, or when its units are set to PNU.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and HiveWire3D flavours (the DeviantArt and CGBytes flavour have been discontinued).

wolfie ( ) posted Mon, 07 June 2010 at 4:09 PM

The problem is that polygons "technically" can't be double sided.  Either the normal is in, or its out, its not both. The double sided poly issue stems from making two identical polys, meaning both polys use the same vertexes, each with opposite normals.  This results in two polys in EXACTLY the same space.  Many applications just fry their brains trying to render two objects in the same exact space but facing opposite directions.  This typically results in the herringbone pattern as is exhibited by poser.  The application tries to figure out which of the polygons is closest to the camera.  The correct answer is NEITHER because they exist in the same position in virtual space but many applications' programming isn't set up to handle this condition.

What should happen is that when an app finds two polys that are exactly the same distance from the camera, it should default to rendering the one with normals more facing the camera, if that still results in a non-answer it should render the first one in the poly list and discard the 2nd one.

markschum ( ) posted Mon, 07 June 2010 at 9:30 PM

Why are you using double sided polys ? its not required in Lightwave although it is an option.

gtrdon ( ) posted Tue, 08 June 2010 at 9:00 PM

markschum
Why are you using double sided polys ? its not required in Lightwave although it is an option.

Because you can build objects that are not transparent from inside such as walls, clothing during Open GL view and  preview. It eliminates having to create another surface inside... Besides Cages fix (normals Forward)seems to do the trick ..

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 13 June 2010 at 8:00 PM

It also doubles your poly count on export...

My Freebies

Tucan-Tiki ( ) posted Wed, 07 July 2010 at 4:11 PM · edited Wed, 07 July 2010 at 4:13 PM

or poke a hole somewhere in your mesh causeing it to become one sided.

I had this problem importing models out of truespace to poser, what I did was poke a hole in the mesh in a spot by deleting one polygon from the whole mesh i was ab le to make it one sided, but I had to find a spot where i could put the hole where it would not be seen.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.