Fri, Sep 20, 6:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Need help finding a car

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Thu, 27 May 2010 at 5:08 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 6:43 AM

Hi all;
I need help finding a particular car model. A 1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback. Whatever3D found me a very low poly mesh which I used years ago in an old P4 render but I would like a better one if there is one out there.
This was the first car I ever bought. My actual first car was a 61 Dodge Phoenix I got from an uncle half a country away that crapped out on him when he came to visit. Nothing like being gifted someone else garbage.
Free or pay I don't care though free, would of course; be a kinder option. I would prefer a Poser compatible format but I'll get it converted if I have to. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks...
pdg...

ockham ( ) posted Thu, 27 May 2010 at 5:35 PM

A whole lot of cars are now available in Google SketchUp format.  You should be
able to find them ... well, through Google.   The SketchUp format won't work in Poser,
but you can convert them with the Pro edition of SketchUp, which you can download
for a limited trial.

The conversion is quite easy, and the OBJ model that comes out is nicely usable
in Poser.

The Backaruda seems likely to have a model, but I'd be really surprised to
find a '61 Dart.  Those weird backward-finned critters weren't even popular when new. 
(Excellent cars, though.)

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

drewradley ( ) posted Thu, 27 May 2010 at 5:58 PM · edited Thu, 27 May 2010 at 5:58 PM

http://www.sharecg.com/v/39498/Poser/Plymouth-Barracuda

Now Playing
My Insomnia Presents
Blue Defender

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Thu, 27 May 2010 at 6:34 PM

Quote - http://www.sharecg.com/v/39498/Poser/Plymouth-Barracuda

Thanks but I've seen this. It is a 70 notchback or a 71 hemi cuda. Can't really tell but it's probably the 71. Hemis seem to be the most popular form on the net. The 69 fastback is the one I'm looking for. I have seen a 69 rag top somewhere though. Again, thanks for looking.
pdg

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Thu, 27 May 2010 at 6:46 PM

Quote - A whole lot of cars are now available in Google SketchUp format.  You should be
able to find them ... well, through Google.   The SketchUp format won't work in Poser,
but you can convert them with the Pro edition of SketchUp, which you can download
for a limited trial.

The conversion is quite easy, and the OBJ model that comes out is nicely usable
in Poser.

The Backaruda seems likely to have a model, but I'd be really surprised to
find a '61 Dart.  Those weird backward-finned critters weren't even popular when new. 
(Excellent cars, though.)

That's what a Phoenix is. A Dart. I loved the push button torque flite tranny. Semi auto. No park. Just neutral and a hand brake. Liquid filled speedo on top of the dashboard and not a straight edge anywhere on the car. Inside or out.  1/3 split bench seat on my 2 door. Get in on the passenger side the driver and crawl accross the back seat kids. Daddy gets the good seat and it doesn't move for you.

"Backaruda" LOL hehehehehe I remember that add.

Thanks. I'l check out the Google thingy and see what I can come up with.
pdg...

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 27 May 2010 at 7:00 PM · edited Thu, 27 May 2010 at 7:00 PM

the Free Sketchup will also export to Collada and there are extensions (aka Ruby's)  to export to OBJ here www.sketchucation.com/extensions-index/  and to LWO here shaxam.com/files/lwo_export-0.0.6.zip , also the Beta of the UVtools forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php (register and sign in to download) exports to OBJ very well indeed.

(Ruby's run just fine on both Free and Pro versions of Sketchup)

drewradley ( ) posted Thu, 27 May 2010 at 7:00 PM · edited Thu, 27 May 2010 at 7:01 PM

The  way I convert sketchup models is with the demo version of Sketchup Pro. This gives you 8 "anytime" hours you can use for converting. I've converted several hundred this way and still have about 3 hours left on my demo time.

Anyway, here is a link to the 'cudas they have there:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?q=Plymouth+Barracuda&styp=m&btnG=Search&reps=2

Now Playing
My Insomnia Presents
Blue Defender

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 27 May 2010 at 7:01 PM

....why get the demo when you can just install a Ruby for free and use that?

drewradley ( ) posted Thu, 27 May 2010 at 7:02 PM

Quote - ....why get the demo when you can just install a Ruby for free and use that?

Because I didn't know about that and was typing my response the same time. :)

Now Playing
My Insomnia Presents
Blue Defender

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 27 May 2010 at 7:11 PM

fairy nuff :)

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Thu, 27 May 2010 at 7:49 PM

Quote - the Free Sketchup will also export to Collada and there are extensions (aka Ruby's)  to export to OBJ here www.sketchucation.com/extensions-index/  and to LWO here shaxam.com/files/lwo_export-0.0.6.zip , also the Beta of the UVtools forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php (register and sign in to download) exports to OBJ very well indeed.

(Ruby's run just fine on both Free and Pro versions of Sketchup)

I've downloaded the works and a couple of models so I'll have my work cut out for me tonight. Thanks for the help.
pdg

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Thu, 27 May 2010 at 7:54 PM

Quote - The  way I convert sketchup models is with the demo version of Sketchup Pro. This gives you 8 "anytime" hours you can use for converting. I've converted several hundred this way and still have about 3 hours left on my demo time.

Anyway, here is a link to the 'cudas they have there:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?q=Plymouth+Barracuda&styp=m&btnG=Search&reps=2

Right on. Thanks. There are a few 68s there which will fit the bill nicely. The differences between 68 and 69 are minor and won't matter for the render I have in mind. I appreciate the help. Thanks again.
pdg

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Thu, 27 May 2010 at 10:32 PM

Quote - > Quote - ....why get the demo when you can just install a Ruby for free and use that?

Because I didn't know about that and was typing my response the same time. :)

As it turned out I have had to install the time limited Pro version of SketchUp 7.1 None of the obj, dxf, or 3ds Ruby plugins work on the new free version 7. I did however have some success with the lwo exporter Ruby mentioned above. It messed up the materials though and in order to re-do the UVs I would have to convert it to obj anyway so why bother with all the conversions when the Pro version did what I needed in a few seconds.I don't think I'll be shelling out my hard earned ducats if my 8 hours ever gets used up however.

Thanks to all for the assistance. Render to the gallery tomorrow sometime.

pdg

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 27 May 2010 at 10:34 PM

eh?
I'm using them on the free version...? latest install....

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Thu, 27 May 2010 at 11:13 PM

Quote - eh?
I'm using them on the free version...? latest install....

Both the obj exporters I've found go off into Neverland and I've had to close the program after 5 to 7 minutes. They both pump out the jpg textures for the model but not the actual models themselves. The plugins I've tried were ObjExporter.rb and obj_export_1.1.rb  The lwo exporter you suggested did work to a point. It converted the model correctly but the material zones/groups whatever were totally screwed and the material zones would need to be reworked. If  UVMapper or Roadkill could read lwo it would be a different story but remapping material zones in Poser isn't for me if I can help it.. The dxf exporter flipped polygons all over the place so forget that one.

The time limited Pro version of SketchUp kicked out the obj, mtl files, and texture jpgs in about 2 seconds flat and that works for me. I will of course put real shaders on the vehicle in the mat room but having the UV maps all set up makes that job a whole lot easier.

As I said above; I won't be purchasing the software as it is not a necessity on a retired man's budget but I will muck about with it and will try to get the free version working with the obj converter if it turns out I want to continue using it in the future. I do appreciate your help. Thanks.

pdg

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 27 May 2010 at 11:15 PM

ah.

Ruby is Slow..... painfully so at times (I've known TIG's excellent OBJ importer take 30 mins or more to bring a model in.....)

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Thu, 27 May 2010 at 11:26 PM

Quote - ah.

Ruby is Slow..... painfully so at times (I've known TIG's excellent OBJ importer take 30 mins or more to bring a model in.....)

That may be the problem. I'm on Win7 and after a while I get program is not responding messages. Sometimes I guess ya just gotta be patient.
pdg

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.