Mon, Sep 9, 5:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Carrara Animation Formats

Thelby ( ) posted Fri, 28 May 2010 at 10:04 PM · edited Sun, 01 September 2024 at 5:10 PM

I just purchased Carrara 8 Pro upgrade from 7 Pro. I then opened a 5 second animation that I had created in 7 Pro so I could see how much faster the x64 Carrara 8 Pro render engine is, 2 hrs 12 mins 47 secs in 7 Pro and 2 hrs 06 mins 21 secs in x64 - 8 Pro, but the one thing I noticed is that I can no longer render the "Quicktime" format. Anyone know why DAZ dropped that format from animations???

I would rather be Politically Incorrect,
Then have Politically Correct-Incorrectness!!!

bwtr ( ) posted Fri, 28 May 2010 at 10:33 PM

QuickTime is STILL not available in 64bit.
(NOT the fault of Daz)
Load the 32bit version of Carrara 8 and all works as normal.
Brian

bwtr

Thelby ( ) posted Fri, 28 May 2010 at 10:40 PM

Ah Ha. thanks for that. I did download the 32 bit version but did not install it. Guess I will have to now as "Quicktime" is the native format my producers want, although I could run it through After Effects or Premier to accomplish that!!!
Thanks Again!!!!!

bwtr ( ) posted Fri, 28 May 2010 at 11:51 PM

file_453596.jpg

As you can see, I have been spoilt with a very good computer setup. I find so many restrictions/limitations with 64bit Carrara8---with only 4gb of ram even slower rendering than 32bit.

I am sticking with 32bit for the time.
Brian

bwtr

GKDantas ( ) posted Sat, 29 May 2010 at 5:01 AM

Always the good point to render an animation is save frame by frame. There are two reasons why do this:
1- if the computer or softer crash you can still continue to render from where it stoped.
2 - You got always the first version of the animation, so you can compress in any format that you like.

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sat, 29 May 2010 at 8:07 AM

As GKDantas said you can render to individual frames and use your favourite video editing software and output to any format that you like.  However I could also see how you might want to quickly output to a video without doing the extra steps.

Thelby ( ) posted Sat, 29 May 2010 at 1:29 PM

Yeah, it's the TV Station I work for are stuck on Quicktime and so any of my work for them has to be in that format. Preferably I would render to Sequenced Tiff or Photoshop.
@ bwtr Brian, all the times I have seen and with my own experience with other apps. A 32 bit piece of software will render the same scene faster on a 64 bit system than that same system will render the same scene with the 64 bit app, but only up to a point and that is where the RAM can not keep up with scenes weight; meaning the scenes polygons, lights, caustics, SSS, etc........ and I personally have not built anything of that scale even though my heaviest scene to date was 140 billion polygons. And that scene rendered faster in 32 bit that in the 64 bit app. So I will probably do as you and use the 32 bit Carrara 8 Pro for now.  
I have an HP - Canadian Q6600 with 8 Gbs of OCZ Gold RAM and a cheap, albeit very good 1Gb 9500 GT driving my graphics.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sat, 29 May 2010 at 8:30 PM

I did some render tests using 32bit software on 64bit O/S and did not see any increase in performance.  But than again it wasnt Carrara.

Thelby ( ) posted Sat, 29 May 2010 at 10:11 PM

Quote - I did some render tests using 32bit software on 64bit O/S and did not see any increase in performance.  But than again it wasnt Carrara.

Yeah, the only speed increase comes from a fast system. One like Brians should do nicely. 64 bit just offers more RAM for larger and better scenes.

KageRyu ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2010 at 12:11 AM

You could always compress the frames to quicktime through any good video software (After Effects, Premiere, Virtuadub even) for the TV station, then you have the best of all worlds.  Even on my slow single-core, final compression of the frames takes almost no time even for 9000+ frame sequences (about 5 minutes to compress from Virtuadub).

The New HD Toaster from Wamco toasts bread more evenly and acurately than Standard Toasters. Take advantage of the FULL resolution of your bread and try one today, because if your toast isn't in High Definition, you are not getting the most of your toast!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.