Fri, Sep 20, 7:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: VTC question for Mark

pisaacs ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2010 at 7:30 AM · edited Sun, 21 July 2024 at 1:21 PM

Any ETA for the VTC Carrara 8 course?

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2010 at 7:47 AM

Thanks for your interest. I'm finishing off another title at the moment so I don't have a specific ETA. 

To be honest, while there are some new features in C8, they are not "core" features but "accessories". The true core improvements have been 64 bit processing but that's a transparent improvement. 

The C7 tutorial is still extremely valid for C8. I've actually recommended to VTC to do what's called a "QucikStart" which covers basics plus new features. This is because C7 and C8 at the core level are identical. If they approve that, it will be a shorter series.

So if you are looking for an in-depth look at Carrara, both the C6 and C7 options are good. If you elect to use the online subscription and have a little time, you can go through both for a lot less then buying the actual DVDs. Just a thought. 

Mark

pisaacs ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2010 at 8:06 AM

Thanks Mark. I wanted to buy the DVD. I'm always forgetting exactly how to do something if I haven't done it in a while. Maybe I'll go for the '7' then. I'll do the monthly for '8' at some later date.

woodcarver2 ( ) posted Thu, 03 June 2010 at 7:12 PM

Mark
I have a question for you . I have the VTC Carrara 6 pro verison and was wondering . should I go and get the Carrara 7 pro VTC tutorials or should I just wait for the VTC 8 Carrara version.  I have had it for some time and keep looking at it and running it when I get stuck "which seems to be a lot of the time"  But Carrara 8 looks so good to me that I really want to learn how to use it and all the new goody's that are in it.  from the videos  and  all that I see it really looks like they hit a home run with this version

Thanks Mark for the good tutorials

woody2

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Fri, 04 June 2010 at 5:35 PM

C7 would still suit you pretty well.

The new features are pretty easy to pick up. Puppeteer is fall-down easy to use. There are some nuances to God-rays and IES profiles but these are definitely "finesse" types of additions If you are wanting get expanded control and understanding, the C7 tuts will be good. 

Since the new features I would categorize as advanced usage, they may be showing up on my Dark Arts page for free. ;-)

Mark

woodcarver2 ( ) posted Fri, 04 June 2010 at 7:13 PM

Mark thanks for getting back to me so fast. I guess that I should get the VTC  carrara 7 disk then. and Hope that you are right that some of the new stuff will show up on your Dark Arts page.

thanks again
woody2

todd71 ( ) posted Wed, 07 July 2010 at 10:51 AM

Why VTC and not Lynda.com?

just curious...:)

but, yeah I was wondering when the new training was coming out as well..i really enjoyed the 7 class you did...

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Wed, 07 July 2010 at 11:33 AM · edited Wed, 07 July 2010 at 11:36 AM

I'm finishing another title at the moment so as soon as I'm done, I think VTC will cut me loose on Carrara 8.

Both Lynda and VTC are excellent tutorial providers.  There are a couple of things I like about VTC, They are willing to support non-major software with tutorials - like Carrara -  and their terms are better for the authors (this of means they pay better, but that translates into tutorials I'm willing to spend more time on which ultimately rewards the viewer)

I've spoken to several authors that have provided tutorials  for both Lynda and VTC and their consensus is VTC is simply nicer to work with because they allow more freedom for authors in creating tutorials and are also more flexible in scheduling. The scheduling is a big thing since creating tutorials are not the "main" job of any of the authors. 

VTC also has more robust offering of business applications too, whereas Lynda is more narrowly focused on creative/creation software. So, my feedback from viewers that subscribe to VTC is that they get good stuff for Carrara and other CG packages but also have viewed some tutorials for business software they use at work since many Carrara users are not full-time artists or in the CG industry . 

Just the crazed ravings of a lunatic madman...

Mark

todd71 ( ) posted Wed, 07 July 2010 at 11:45 AM

VTC was the first place I'd come across once upon a time ago and they were awesme, but Lynda.com is definitely geared closer to what I want and the instructors at Lynda (like Deke) are definitely the masters in their field. At VTC I was coming across guys that just didn't seem to really know the software, or maybe just how to teach it, as indepth as I was looking for.

Yours was definitely one of the best and I sat watching it and just saying yes, YES, YES!

I was like he should be on Lynda.com!...lol...

I have to go back an rewatch 7 now and take notes.

But, thanks for your insights and your training they really are very helpful.

FALCON2 ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2010 at 3:53 AM

Mark,

I enjoyed your Carrara 7 series - its a in-depth introduction to the software - picked up a ton of little usage tricks and guidelines that really helped me dig even deeper into the program and had a delightful set of "Doh!" moments when confronting things like modeling in Carrara (coming from a LW background it was a huge change) - and your tutorials were spot on.

As for VTC -- having a blast with them and their odd and expansive categories.

AF

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.