Fri, Sep 20, 9:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: New to Poser, and a few other questions.

kreidas123 ( ) posted Wed, 09 June 2010 at 6:55 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 9:46 AM

Good evening all.
I was interested in doing what you guys and gals do...so I'm experimenting with the Poser software. But it seems very overwhelming, especially since I'm a total newbie to this world. Is there a specific tutorial website, books, etc that one can obtain to garner more knowledge about Poser? Currently using Poser 8.

Other questions - I've seen some of these annotations, such as A1, V4, etc. What do they mean? And also, how exactly does buying stuff in Renderosity work?

I know this may be very bad questions to ask, but please bear with me - I'm definitley listening and willing to learn.

Thank you very much and have a good night:)

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 09 June 2010 at 7:08 PM

Ya might take a look around here. If there's anything Poser, the doctor knows ;o).

Laurie

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 09 June 2010 at 7:19 PM · edited Wed, 09 June 2010 at 7:19 PM

Hello and welcome to your new addiction/drain on your cash/waste of time/source of frustration.

The advice given by Laurie is spot on; Doc Geep has fantastic tutorials, ranging from very basic to fairly advanced.

Alternately, you can ask specific stuff here on the forum.  We won't laugh; we were all newbies once.  There are also a bunch of links pinned near the top of the forum, relating to Poser questions and answers.

The abbreviations you mentioned are related to the figures used in Poser.

V1, V2, V3, V4 = Victoria.  Different versions (for the most part not compatible with each other) have been released by DAZ.  The latest flavour is V4.

Other figures are:

Aiko, Aiko 3 (there wasn't a 2) Aiko 4

Stephanie, Stephanie Petite (aka SP3 or S3)

In fact, there are tons of them.

Since you're completely new to Poser, I suggest you go to DAZ, get an account there and download all their base figures, which are free.  There are no morphs included with the later models (they have to be bought separately) and the majority of them have no textures but it's a start. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

kreidas123 ( ) posted Wed, 09 June 2010 at 8:00 PM

Thank you very much, I will do as you folks suggested:)

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 09 June 2010 at 8:09 PM

I know this is asking you to swallow a lot too, but you might also want to look at the plethora of information supplied by Acadia. She's got everything pretty much all wrapped up as to what's out there ;o).

Read the posts by Acadia here.

Laurie

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 09 June 2010 at 8:19 PM

Welcome.  Check your sanity at the door, for once you proceed, you will never be the same.

geep ( ) posted Wed, 09 June 2010 at 8:49 PM

@ LaurieA & Paul

Thanks. 😄

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 09 June 2010 at 8:57 PM

Yer welcome, mate.

My Store

My Gallery

kreidas123 ( ) posted Wed, 09 June 2010 at 9:43 PM

I am officially afraid...LOL. And all this because of a wish I wanted to do with this program and site, LOL:)

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 09 June 2010 at 10:14 PM

Don't be afraid...lol. Seems like a lot, but it really is....lmao.

Laurie

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Wed, 09 June 2010 at 10:45 PM

Be afraid. Be very afraid. For the longevity of your sanity, be seriously concerned. But what you'll learn here will change you completely. Yes, it can too.

I read a book a long time ago by Betty Edwards: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. It changed the way I saw things. Poser and Blender3D and shader-building with BagginsBill and Python has changed the way I see things 3D.

It will change you, but - I warrant - for the multi-faceted.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

KimberlyC ( ) posted Wed, 09 June 2010 at 11:29 PM

Welcome!! Feel free to ask any questions! :)

thefixer ( ) posted Thu, 10 June 2010 at 1:47 AM

The above advice is all very good and comical in some respects, if true...

I will however issue a voice of warning.....This software/addiction can become overwhelming where it can easily take over your whole life to the detriment of what is really important to you, such as the people you love etc....Don't let that happen whatever you do.
Enjoy the ride, but keep your perspective...

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Thu, 10 June 2010 at 1:58 AM

Wow guys!  Way to scare the newbies!  Sheesh. Welcome to a very time consuming, and possibly costly hobbie Kreidas. Don't let the scary people scare you too much.   If you treat the hobby as a hobby and not an obsession, you'll do fine. It's when it crosses over, which for a lot of us it has, to obession that's when you can worry. That's when you take a break. It's time for a road trip! 

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 10 June 2010 at 2:05 AM

Quote - Wow guys!  Way to scare the newbies!  Sheesh. Welcome to a very time consuming, and possibly costly hobbie Kreidas. Don't let the scary people scare you too much.   If you treat the hobby as a hobby and not an obsession, you'll do fine. It's when it crosses over, which for a lot of us it has, to obession that's when you can worry. That's when you take a break. It's time for a road trip! 

And you said what we just said. 😕 With a few extra smilies thrown in. :rolleyes:

Metaphor of Chooks

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Thu, 10 June 2010 at 2:07 AM · edited Thu, 10 June 2010 at 2:08 AM

Quote - > Quote - Wow guys!  Way to scare the newbies!  Sheesh. Welcome to a very time consuming, and possibly costly hobbie Kreidas. Don't let the scary people scare you too much.   If you treat the hobby as a hobby and not an obsession, you'll do fine. It's when it crosses over, which for a lot of us it has, to obession that's when you can worry. That's when you take a break. It's time for a road trip! 

And you said what we just said. 😕 With a few extra smilies thrown in. :rolleyes:

And it was less scarey wasn't it? :tt2: I think this forum has strayed too far from smilies, don't you?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 10 June 2010 at 11:26 AM

Oh, I dunno.  You can read my sig line as a built in, all purpose smiley, anyhow.

I really don't think my response was scary, though.

Maybe if I'd said something like:

"Welcome to Poser, kid.  You ain't gonna learn nuthin', 'cept how to cry."

Now, that would be kinda worrying.

Heh.

My Store

My Gallery

Xase ( ) posted Thu, 10 June 2010 at 2:44 PM

Quote - Oh, I dunno.  You can read my sig line as a built in, all purpose smiley, anyhow.

Heh.

Except you would have to say that in Vincent Price's voice to be really scary :biggrin:

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 10 June 2010 at 5:19 PM

Quote - > Quote - Oh, I dunno.  You can read my sig line as a built in, all purpose smiley, anyhow.

Heh.

Except you would have to say that in Vincent Price's voice to be really scary :biggrin:

No I wouldn't.  Trust me on this.  :biggrin:

My Store

My Gallery

kreidas123 ( ) posted Thu, 10 June 2010 at 9:38 PM

I wouldn't think that this hobby would be as addictive...as....internet gaming? LOL.

KimberlyC ( ) posted Thu, 10 June 2010 at 9:58 PM

Quote - I wouldn't think that this hobby would be as addictive...as....internet gaming? LOL.

:laugh: You'd be surprised. :P

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 10 June 2010 at 10:37 PM

Oh, you'd be so surprised...lol

Laurie

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 10 June 2010 at 11:17 PM

Oh, you'd be incredibly surprised... heheheheh

...just in case you get into shader-writing, it's worse than an addiction, it becomes an obsession.

Metaphor of Chooks

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 10 June 2010 at 11:18 PM

or modeling, Like Laurie... sheesh! Hours become seconds, fueled only by coffee or energy drinks... take your pick. Me, it's Diet V. (gotta watch out for secretarial spread - happens when you don't have washing to peg that day)

Metaphor of Chooks

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.