Sun, Oct 6, 11:20 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 28 10:18 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Site Breach Information

JeniferC ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 11:36 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 11:15 AM

As many of you already know, yesterday Renderosity experienced an illegal intrusion to our website which redirected our members and visitors to another website that was trying to sell products or services. Immediately, our technical staff took action to restore the site to its normal operations and to prevent further intrusion. Today, our technicians are actively working to identify any additional vulnerabilities and fortify those areas.

Protecting your information is Renderosity’s number one priority, and we can assure that no personal financial data can be accessed from our system in two ways. First, credit/debit card information is not stored in our database. Renderosity only stores what is called blind card info that is the first two digits and last four digits of an account number. The security codes on the backs of credit/debit cards are also not stored. The second way we assure security is that card information being processed for transactions is heavily encrypted. Passwords and US vendor’s social security numbers have a two tiered level of encryption to keep those items secure.

I will make an additional post at the end of the day to update you on the additional progress our security team has made.

I appreciate everyone who contacted us to make sure we were aware of the problem.  Of course we were, but it’s always reassuring to know that our members are also looking out and care for the well-being of our community.

Best Regards,
Jenifer Carey
Renderosity Vice President

JenX ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 11:44 AM

Thanks for the update, Jenifer!!  :)  We all appreciate it!

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

anitalee ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 11:54 AM

Thanks, but you should warn people to scan their systems, as the hijack not only moved people to another page it tired to infect the home computers as well.  Norton blocked the intrution to my computer and gave me an intrusion blocked message.

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 11:55 AM

Aye, Diolch Yn fawr Cariad...

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 11:56 AM

Thanks Jenifer. Glad I was able to help some folks regain their access in a small way in the mean time.

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 12:03 PM

Yay for programmers! Programmers are the best! All love to the techies of the world! Saving the day is what they're best at! Hugs and free beer & saki for all the geek-types that keep the machinery running and protect us all from the nefarious ne'er-do-wells of the dark places! Hoorah!

Hmm? Why, yes, as a matter of fact, I am in software development. Thank you for noticing.

😄

BerdacheBear ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 12:04 PM

Thanx, Jennifer. This is an added "security blankie" for th ose of us who encountered the situation. Stacey did a great job of responding -- faster than lightning -- to those of us who contacted Renderosity about a situation which I'm sure everybody found frustrating. Along with the security of customer card info, I'm assuming any account info transmitted by PayPal is also protected? Props to the Rendo Tech Team, StaceyG, and you for your handling of this nerve-wracking situation.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 12:42 PM

Now would be the perfect time for everyone to update their passwords with new ones.

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 12:50 PM

Quote - Now would be the perfect time for everyone to update their passwords with new ones.

Thats  great tip should be written like this :

Now would be the perfect time for everyone to update their passwords with new ones

😉

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

bobbystahr ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 12:51 PM

Whew...well I thought y'all were on the ball...I just never noticed...seems to have not affected me on  Google Chrome...

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Dave-So ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 12:53 PM
Online Now!

so that means things are not all fixed and ready for us to use yet?

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

BerdacheBear ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 1:03 PM

Yeah, changing yer password's a grrrrreat idea -- 'specially appropriate reminder for those of us older (age-wise) members suffering from CRS! I just finished doing it. Thanx for the memory nudge.

mattymanx ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 1:13 PM

Change my password??? 

But what is the hackers want to go into my account and buy me something? ;P

BerdacheBear ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 1:19 PM

Matty: Cute! Probably wouldn't want to "buy you" anything you'd be interested in, though. Unless you're interested in them buying you a "headache."  :tt2:

mattymanx ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 1:41 PM

Quote - Matty: Cute! Probably wouldn't want to "buy you" anything you'd be interested in, though. Unless you're interested in them buying you a "headache."  :tt2:

Hey all they need to do is look at my wishlist to know what to buy (with someones stolen CC! )

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 1:45 PM

Quote - > Quote - Now would be the perfect time for everyone to update their passwords with new ones.

Thats  great tip should be written like this :

Now would be the perfect time for everyone to update their passwords with new ones
😉

THANKS! I'LL TRY TO REMEMBER THAT TRICK. :tt2:

TheBryster ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 2:39 PM
Forum Moderator

*Aye, Diolch Yn fawr Cariad...

*Gwyn!! You creep!! Stop calling the ladies "Darling" :lol:

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Richardphotos ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 3:09 PM

did the large influx of "members" online at one time have something to do with the hacking? at one time I noticed 9255 users online at once along about the same time as hacking went down

Kinouk ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 3:17 PM

JeniferC ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 3:59 PM

As with many companies that maintain a large database, Renderosity is often the target of hackers. We have monitoring in place that helps us identify possible illicit uses, threats or attempts to hack our site. This monitoring helps us stop intruders before our system can be compromised in most cases; however, this incident was a little different which caused a slight delay in our detection. By slight, I mean about 15 minutes, our tech guys and monitoring they’ve setup is rather sophisticated. The area of vulnerability was patched, and we have reviewed of our system to ensure your Renderosity visit isn’t inconvenienced again. Also, we have made a modification to our system to provide a new level of general security.

The redirect pages that we had seen did not try to install people computers; however, Norton and other anti-virus software (depending on the settings) would have given people intrusion warnings based on the fact that the redirect was going to a domain name other than renderosity.com. Of course, we always advocate frequent virus scans, and that’s a precaution members who were redirect may want to take.

Password changes are not really needed either. We have a duel layered encryption on them, but then again changing passwords regularly is always good….just like virus scans. So please feel free to take that additional security step if you’d like.

No, the high number of people online didn’t have anything to do with it. Renderosity has been increasing in traffic and in search engine crawlers. So that large number of people online (at 9255) that you noticed was because of Google and yahoo crawlers.

I’m very sorry for the inconvenience you all experienced yesterday, and I appreciate the support that so many of you have shown.  

For those of you who asked us to extend our coupon that ended yesterday, since the redirect interfered when you were trying to use it, we have extended this coupon for you. This 15% off coupon ($25 min) is extended to tomorrow night (Tuesday, the 15th) at 11:59 pm system time. Please make sure you copy the code (20100612B15P25) and paste it in the coupon box, and press the “Apply” button.

Thanks,
Jenifer

BerdacheBear ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 4:05 PM

Renderosity ROX!!!

bobbystahr ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 4:05 PM

** "F****or those of you who asked us to extend our coupon that ended yesterday, since the redirect interfered when you were trying to use it, we have extended this coupon for you."

Way t go Admin.. ...

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

gillbrooks ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 4:07 PM

Quote - Aye, Diolch Yn fawr Cariad...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gill

Rapierman ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 4:26 PM

....and I took the additional action of submitting the suspect website ("MyBookFace", in this case) to McAfee for further testing when this whole thing began.

I'll say it again:  The 'Rosity folks were all over this like white on rice.  Kudos for the oustanding job.  :thumbupboth:

The Rapierman:  Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 4:27 PM

Quote - Aye, Diolch Yn fawr Cariad...

FFS.  You owe me a new keyboard, mate.  :lol:

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

thefixer ( ) posted Tue, 15 June 2010 at 2:16 AM

FFS.  You owe me a new keyboard, mate.

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

TallPockets ( ) posted Tue, 15 June 2010 at 2:01 PM · edited Tue, 15 June 2010 at 2:02 PM

No, the high number of people online didn’t have anything to do with it. Renderosity has been increasing in traffic and in search engine crawlers. So that large number of people online (at 9255) that you noticed was because of Google and yahoo crawlers.

Welcome TallPockets! Tuesday, June 15, 2010 1:50 PM CST. 4028 artists currently online

StaceyG: HELLO! THANKS to your WONDERFUL staff for fixing this issue so promptly! MUCH appreciated. I, too, was hit with this REDIRECT to BOOKFACE as mentioned by some above.

I've been here a few years, to the CHAGRIN of some, and could not but notice the drastic JUMP in 'viewers' online. For years, it's about 4,00 maximum. Then, a short time ago, it DOUBLES to 8,000+?

Now, it's BACK to regular viewings numbers once again.

I haven't notice any real increase in viewers up until just recently. It's been steady for a long time. Then, it suddenly DOUBLES?

I take you at your word that it had nothing to do with the above issue.

The dramatic up and down viewing numbers simply doesn't make common sense.

But, then again, MANY here feel the same about DUMB old TallPockets. WINK.

HUGS!

My BEST to you and yours and THANKS again!

TallPockets

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.