Wed, Oct 23, 12:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 4:45 pm)

Subject: Removing unwanted polys

Apple_UK ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2010 at 1:53 PM · edited Wed, 23 October 2024 at 12:26 AM

I used sculpris to make a sphere then twofaces4 to make the inside visible ( I don't know who made twofaces4 but he is my hero), now I would like to remove the exterior polys so the inside of the sphere can be visible and to half the poly count. Any idea please ?

ockham ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2010 at 2:00 PM · edited Sat, 26 June 2010 at 2:00 PM

If the goal is to have a sphere that's visible from the interior in Preview mode,
couldn't you just take the original single-layer sphere and import to Poser
with polygons reversed?

(Use the "Flip Normals" option on the OBJ import dialog.)

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2010 at 2:09 PM · edited Sat, 26 June 2010 at 2:11 PM

Yeah this is the kind of thing you want to fix before importing to Poser.  I don't know Sculptris but the thing you want to do is get the normals (the "outside-ness" of a polygon) facing the way you want, rather than using something like that twofaces utility (which as you've discovered, really only doubles the polygon count).  Then import that.  It's a real pain to try to fix this kind of thing strictly in Poser, much easier to just not import it in the first place.

I get the idea you're trying to do something like this?
http://sites.google.com/site/fleshforge2/Home/free-stuff/renderroom-prop

If so, you probably want to set the object display style for the sphere to "Outline" once you have the sphere placed, so you don't have trouble seeing what's going on while setting the scene up.

My Freebies

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2010 at 2:48 PM

Just make a sphere in Wings, go to object mode and Invert. That will make a sphere with the polys facing toward the inside.

Laurie

Apple_UK ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2010 at 3:05 PM

OMG! it is sooooooooooo easy I feel a fool for asking now: thank you ockham. I had just never read the import oprions.

Thank you also pjz99 and LaurieA

stimuli ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2010 at 4:11 PM

ooo glad I read this......never knew what "flip normals" was for =)

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2010 at 4:26 PM

It's useful to be aware of the "Normals Forward" property for materials; sometimes you don't have the option of fooling with the geometry, or it just isn't worth the trouble.  "Normals Forward" forces the renderer to treat any polygon facing the camera to have its "outsideness" oriented towards the camera.

My Freebies

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2010 at 4:27 PM · edited Sat, 26 June 2010 at 4:27 PM

Is the goal to have a previewable environment sphere that takes equirectangular projections? Or is it to learn to import interior spheres?

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2010 at 11:07 PM

Quote - Just make a sphere in Wings, go to object mode and Invert. That will make a sphere with the polys facing toward the inside.

Laurie

Ohh thanks Laurie, I knew I had done this a while ago, but could never figure out how to do it again!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 27 June 2010 at 7:57 AM · edited Sun, 27 June 2010 at 7:59 AM

I'm still trying to understand the goal.

For example, if you want an inverted sphere, you use the Poser sphere and reverse the normals with the group tool. No modeling is required, no importing is required.

If you plan to scale it up and use it for an environment sphere for equirectangular images, then you have a bit more work to do and I'd be happy to explain how, should it be necessary and you refuse to use my free one. I've only ever seen two that were absolutely correctly modeled and UV mapped correctly all the way to the poles. One was by Mec4D and posted in a thread where we were discussing how these work, although hers had a tiny hole at the pole. The other is mine, and is available for free, and has been used by hundreds of Poser users, perhaps even thousands. Hard to tell.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 27 June 2010 at 8:31 AM

Maybe it was an exercise :)

My Freebies

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.