Mon, Sep 23, 11:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 8:55 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Shuffling through the Roman ruins of yesterday's software

MidnightCarnival ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2010 at 10:33 AM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 11:27 AM

It looks like there was some massive 3D party a couple of years back and then seventy five percent of the world stopped what they were doing, picked up and left.

I'm coming across a good amount of 3D sites, forums and software that have all been abandoned and forgotten only to have left their digital footprints in cyberspace.

Everything that I'm finding and considering to be 'the next big thing' has all been yesterday's news.

But some of these lost in limbo programs are pretty friggin' sweet.

I'm swimming through a digital graveyard of abandoned projects and software. So what are today's 3D artists biding their time with? What is actually 'current' right now? Just Sculprtris?

ronviers ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2010 at 10:44 AM

maya max houdini realflow modo pftrack boujou fusion composite nuke mental ray renderman zbrush mudbox...

-Jordi- ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2010 at 12:20 PM

DAZ's Hexagon for everything, modeling and UVs.

Elke ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2010 at 1:55 PM

Cinema 4D.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2010 at 3:20 PM · edited Mon, 05 July 2010 at 3:22 PM

Cinema 4D has a good discount for Carrara and modo users right now ($500 off on one of their packages XL?).  Byrce and DAZ Studio might even be on their list.  Version 12 must be getting ready for release soon.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

MidnightCarnival ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2010 at 11:57 PM

realflow
 pftrack
boujou fusion composite
nuke
mental ray

Thank you, Ronviers. I've never heard of these before! 

Off I go again! Mwahahahahahahahahaha!

MidnightCarnival ( ) posted Tue, 06 July 2010 at 12:10 AM

I've just heard of this recently as well but it looks to involving and time consuming

http://secondlife.com/

markschum ( ) posted Tue, 06 July 2010 at 12:20 AM

realflow is a very nice , but expensive particle system that is great for simulating liguids.
mental ray is 3dsmax default renderer from memory.  

Sorry but second life is a bit old news too.   

I stopped keeping track a few years ago, cause there is just no spare cash to buy stuff with.

I use Lightwave 8 for modelling and animation and some higher end rendering.
I have a copy of realflow from a magazine cover that I play with if I am really bored
and use a mix of carrara and Poser for my own entertainment mainly.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 06 July 2010 at 12:42 AM

Quote -  I've just heard of this recently as well but it looks to involving and time consuming

http://secondlife.com/

It's the 2000's version of the 1990's ActiveWorlds.
http://www.activeworlds.com/

Both will eat up your week, building worlds.

ronviers ( ) posted Tue, 06 July 2010 at 9:36 AM

Fusion and Houdini may still offer the non-expiring learning editions. If so you should get them asap - maya discontinued its learning edition and that may be the trend. Both products are excellent and can provide a good foundation for 3d and visual effects. Eyeon’s youtube channel alone will keep you busy for weeks.
It is often the most expensive software that has the best documentation and 3rd party learning resources available.

Good luck

Warlock279 ( ) posted Tue, 06 July 2010 at 2:40 PM · edited Tue, 06 July 2010 at 2:40 PM

Maya discontinued its learning license because AutoDesk bought Alias, in fact, in that regard, I'm a bit shocked they've allowed ModTools to continue since their purchase of SofImage.

..........grumble grumble...evil autodesk empire...grumble grumble...............

Core i7 950@3.02GHz | 12GB Corsair Dominator Ram@1600mHz | 2GB Geforce GTX 660

Lightwave | Blender | Marmoset | GIMP | Krita

ronviers ( ) posted Tue, 06 July 2010 at 2:50 PM

Adsk bought Alias in 2006 and released Maya PLE 8.5 in the 2007. PLE 8.5 continued to be available until around the end of last year.

Warlock279 ( ) posted Tue, 06 July 2010 at 10:22 PM

Haha, ya I know...and I'm sure they've no intentions of doing away with ModTools anytime soon, since its fills in nicely where GMax used to [and to a lesser extent the now defunct Maya PLE]. None of that lessons my disdain for Autodesk any tho. 

Core i7 950@3.02GHz | 12GB Corsair Dominator Ram@1600mHz | 2GB Geforce GTX 660

Lightwave | Blender | Marmoset | GIMP | Krita

kenmo ( ) posted Wed, 07 July 2010 at 1:14 PM

Quote - Cinema 4D has a good discount for Carrara and modo users right now ($500 off on one of their packages XL?).  Byrce and DAZ Studio might even be on their list.  Version 12 must be getting ready for release soon.

Do you have a link to the offer at Maxon? I went to their website and could not find this offer....

Cheers

infinity10 ( ) posted Wed, 07 July 2010 at 1:15 PM

I just read that 3Dvia is useable on iPhone....  perhaps 3D apps are moving into mobile space ?

Eternal Hobbyist

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 07 July 2010 at 7:25 PM

Quote - > Quote - Cinema 4D has a good discount for Carrara and modo users right now ($500 off on one of their packages XL?).  Byrce and DAZ Studio might even be on their list.  Version 12 must be getting ready for release soon.

Do you have a link to the offer at Maxon? I went to their website and could not find this offer....

Cheers

In the US online store I found this latest info.
http://www.maxonshop.com/us/gp/products.cinema4d.odyssey

MidnightCarnival ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2010 at 4:28 AM

Have signed up for the Fusion PLE but they're not sending me the link to the download.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.