Mon, Sep 9, 6:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Using .pz2 to apply materials to main and also conforming figure

papillon68 ( ) posted Sun, 25 July 2010 at 3:39 PM · edited Wed, 24 July 2024 at 7:41 PM

Hi, yes the title says it all: I would like to create (and I don't know if it's possible) a .pz2 that assign a material to the main figure and another material to the conforming figure.

I tried reating a .pz2 file with this structure, but it only seek and change materials in the main figure:

{
version
{
number 4.01
}
figure
{
   mat figure 1
   {
   }

mat figure 2
  {
  }

}
}

visit my blog:  www.alessandromastronardi.com

My Rendo Store

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sun, 25 July 2010 at 3:43 PM

hmm.. IIRC, You can make a call inside a PZ2 that triggers another PZ2. Not 100% sure how it's done though, but a lot of things is possible with Poser's file format :)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 25 July 2010 at 3:53 PM · edited Sun, 25 July 2010 at 3:54 PM

Can't be done with a simple pose file, as there is no mechanism to refer to more than one figure.

Your only hope would be to have the PZ2 launch a Python script which applies the appropriate MatCollections to whatever figures it determines as being the "right" ones by inspecting the scene content.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sun, 25 July 2010 at 3:57 PM

Hm. But some files can call other files, right? Or can they only call a python script? I was certain they could also call another Poser file...

You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA

ockham ( ) posted Sun, 25 July 2010 at 4:07 PM

PZ2's can call other PZ2's, but as nruddock says, there's no way for the called pose file
to know which figure it's supposed to use. 

It's easy in Python, if you're willing to have the PZ2 call a script.  (I think some folks
may be newly allergic to this, after the 'Wet Look' fiasco that was discussed recently....)

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sun, 25 July 2010 at 4:28 PM

aaah so that's where I got it wrong. You can use a pz2 to call a pz2 - but you can't tell it which figure to apply it to. That makes sense : ) Well at least I wasn't imagining things completely!  :)

and I agree, i'd be wary of a pose file calling a script if I wasn't aware of what said scrip did.

Especially if it was calling a PYC that you can't open up and look at.

papillon68 ( ) posted Sun, 25 July 2010 at 5:31 PM

Thanks guys. I know how to do that in Python, but then that would not work in Daz Studio ...

visit my blog:  www.alessandromastronardi.com

My Rendo Store

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 25 July 2010 at 6:04 PM

Quote - ... but then that would not work in Daz Studio ...

For D|S, you'd have to use it's scripting to do the same thing (i.e. as the solution requires scripting, there isn't a universal answer).

wdupre ( ) posted Mon, 26 July 2010 at 3:23 AM · edited Mon, 26 July 2010 at 3:25 AM

Quote - > Quote - ... but then that would not work in Daz Studio ...

For D|S, you'd have to use it's scripting to do the same thing (i.e. as the solution requires scripting, there isn't a universal answer).

Actually in DS you can select both figures and apply one mat pose to both at the same time. if you have such a mat pose with all the materials for both the figure and the conformer and a python script to apply it to both, than you can just instruct the user to select both figures and DS will just ignore the script call and apply all the materials (though if its more than a very simple material setup you would still want to provide a separate DS material preset in any case).

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 26 July 2010 at 4:21 PM

This is simply not safe in Poser, as there is no sanity checking for whether materials set by pose will match what the object actually has.  If the wrong item is selected, it won't do anything useful and will add garbage to the save file as materials are silently created for that object but don't actually do anything, since the new materials don't match any polygon selections.  Setting by script is a lot more sensible, because at least you have the option of testing whether the object has appropriate materials zones already present.  As a bonus, your script could actually examine figure name and look for specific ones, although figure name can be changed after loading or when using Edit->Duplicate.

My Freebies

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.