Mon, Sep 23, 1:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 12:42 pm)

Subject: Posersystem backup

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Sat, 07 August 2010 at 6:56 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 1:24 PM

Hello.
It looks like I might have to perform a complete system format as Im getting blue screen problems occasionally,Whats the best way to back up all my poser runtime so that its easy to reinstall after.

p

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sat, 07 August 2010 at 7:30 PM

Since the runtimes aren't dependent of anything like registry entries ect, simply copy your runtime to some other media and once you've formatted your system and reinstalled Poser, copy thee whole runtime(s) back.

Personaly have all my Runtimes on an external disk with a mirror of that disk made quite frequently. Good thing too, because my Po0ser harddisk just gave up the other day - and I was lucky to have an almost up to date copy of it all. I'm right now making a backup of my backup on a fresh disk L

But in short. Copy your runtime folder(s) to something like an external drive, reformat, plug in the drive and copy it back :)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Sun, 08 August 2010 at 12:49 AM

Thanks trekkieGirl
,I got,it
I do exactly the same with my backups,helps me sleep peacfully at night:)

p

Netherworks ( ) posted Sun, 08 August 2010 at 1:41 AM

If you are on Poser 7 or higher, you may want to also copy your preference files.

Their location varies depending on your flavor of windows.

Easy way to find them is run this script (copy, save as PrefsLocation.py):

import poser
prefsPath = os.path.split(poser.PrefsLocation())[0]
print prefsPath

saibabameuk ( ) posted Sun, 08 August 2010 at 2:06 AM

Hi got all that and have also backed up on external hard drive- however reformat? I do not understand reformat due to my  computer short failings would you be so kind as to explain this .

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Sun, 08 August 2010 at 3:13 AM

Re format is a disire to or find it nessacery to erase all the data from your hard drive/drives and then to restore that data to the clean hard drives,
Reasons for this could be that your commputer has problems and is running/ badly or not running at all.or you have decided to install a new operating system/motherboard etc .if you are installing a new operating system then you would only need to re format the drive where your operating system will go.

Im sure there must be other reasons Ive missed but I hope this helps.

Personally I hate to perform this task.:)

p

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Sun, 08 August 2010 at 3:19 AM

Quote - If you are on Poser 7 or higher, you may want to also copy your preference files.

Their location varies depending on your flavor of windows.

Easy way to find them is run this script (copy, save as PrefsLocation.py):

import poser
prefsPath = os.path.split(poser.PrefsLocation())[0]
print prefsPath

That was my next question ,thanks,how do I write all that--import poserprefsPath = os.path.split(poser.PrefsLocation())[0]print prefsPath--like this??

P

fishak ( ) posted Sun, 08 August 2010 at 4:48 AM

If your partitions are set up right, his is a simple procedure that should take no longer than 20 minutes to a couple hours, depending on how many terabytes you have on the drive. (a RAID array can hold many TB of data, and take much longer to transfer than a single 120GB drive) 10 to fifteen minutes if you only need to wipe the OS partition, which is most likely.

You should have a minimum of 2 partitions. One for your OS and programs, and one for all your data and runtimes. You need at least 2 partitions on your backup drive. One for your data and runtimes, and one for your images.

Simply backup all your data (includes runtimes), write across your hard drive with a bootable erase program like HDDerase, restore your OS/programs image, Create a new partition for your data on the clean drive, and copy all your data back. Of course you don't need to worry about copying your data back if you only had to wipe the OS/program partition.

Obviously this assumes you keep valid images of your OS/programs from a time when you were trouble free. If you don't, you will have to re-install everything from scratch.

Also, if your computer isn't set up like this, and it has your data in the OS partition, but it is running trouble free, you can still set it up right. Simply copy all your data to another place to make room for a Data partition, make sure everything is present and OK in the secondary place, delete all your data from the OS partition (by data, I mean only personal data and runtimes- not program data), shrink the OS/Program partition to make room for , and create a Data partition, than copy your data to the new partition. You will have to point Poser to the new runtime directories, since the drive letter won't be C anymore.

A couple things to remember: Images are fragile, so they must be originals, and never moved or defragmented, or they won't be reliable. For this reason, it's best to make a 40- 50Gb partition on the inside edge of your HDDs to store a few snapshotsin each drive. Tell your defrag tool to leave your image partition alone.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.