Sat, Sep 21, 7:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Help needed: applying textures to terrains. Also, 'Free Stuff' help needed.

Batsarse ( ) posted Sat, 14 August 2010 at 6:08 AM · edited Fri, 09 August 2024 at 11:53 PM

file_457553.gif

I've just started getting back into Bryce 6.1 after a long period of doing other things, mainly because my last PC went up like a Roman candle (it took ages to get rid of the smell of smoke!) and I've gone very rusty.  I posted a thread a while back on the subject of creating a convincing lunar surface for a model of the Space 1999 Eagle transporter that I've built, but the thread now appears to be gone.  I've got a terrain of the lunar surface that I built by following the guide that a member posted for me, but I was never able to complete the job thanks to the death of my PC.  Now I'm trying to, and I'm stuck.

I've got the terrain sized 1024 x 141.16 x 1024 and it looks good, with lots of nice craters, but none of the Bryce texture presets looks 'moony' enough.  I have a photo of the surface of Mercury that I'd like to apply to it, but the photo is a .jpg, not a .mat, and I can't remember how to either apply it directly to the terrain, or else convert the jpg to mat.  If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it.

Also, I'm considering giving the Eagle model to the Free Stuff section of Renderosity, but I'm not really sure how to go about it.  The Eagle is built out of primitives and there's a lot of them: it/s 20.3mb in size and this includes the 'paintwork', which is also primitives, thanks to my above-mentioned problem with textures.  I've been a member of Renderosity, on and off, since about 2001 and I really want to give something back to the community, so if someone can give me a Noob's Guide to doing this, that would be great too (pic of the Eagle enclosed - command module is the wrong shape but, with primitives and terrains, it's the closest I could get!).

RobertJ ( ) posted Sat, 14 August 2010 at 6:39 AM

Edit 2d pictures and apply a picture to your terrain. Start playing and fiddeling from there.

BTW: That is some jawdropping modelling, nice work.

Robert van der Veeke Basugasubasubasu Basugasubakuhaku Gasubakuhakuhaku!! "Better is the enemy of good enough." Dr. Mikoyan of the Mikoyan Gurevich Design Bureau.

Batsarse ( ) posted Sat, 14 August 2010 at 7:50 AM

Thanks  for the reminder.  I completely forgot about Leo and the 2D image editor (d'oh!) 
However, I've managed to lose the information I had on how to build a lunar surface in the terrain editor too, so a reminder there could be handy too :)

bobbystahr ( ) posted Sat, 14 August 2010 at 11:09 AM

Attached Link: missing link

is this the one?

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 14 August 2010 at 11:26 AM
Forum Moderator

Nice modelling!

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.