Tue, Oct 22, 1:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Animation

Welcome to the Animation Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Animation F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 6:34 am)

In here we will dicuss everything that moves.

Characters, motion graphics, props, particles... everything that moves!
Enjoy , create and share :)
Remember to check the FAQ for useful information and resources.

Animation learning and resources:

[Animations]

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Looking for a Video Editor

yarp ( ) posted Sun, 15 August 2010 at 12:49 AM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 11:07 PM

Hi,
I am looking for a video Editor that would let me add subtitles and pictures overlay.
So far I have tried VideoPad (shareware), Video Edit Magic (Shareware)  and VirtualDub (free) but they don't really fit my needs.
The goal is to edit videos to make tutorials.

I don't want to put more than 50/60$, but I could make an effort for an outstanding tool.

What tool do you use or would you recommend ?

Yarp

Yarp - author of P3DO Organizer for Poser

yarp ( ) posted Sun, 15 August 2010 at 12:57 AM

As usual just after posting this thread I stumbled on a page with a list of Video Editors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Premiere_Elements

And an offer for Adobe Premiere Elements at only 69$:
http://www.adobe.com/products/premiereel/  (expire on Monday) 

Premiere was among the first on my list before I realized it cost 1000$.
Your opinion is still welcome but now I have to take a decision today.

nemirc ( ) posted Sun, 15 August 2010 at 1:02 AM

I don't really know about Premiere Elements as I've never used it (and I don't even know how it looks like nor how it works).

There's a free (I think?) open source video editor called Cinelerra. You may wanna look for that one. I've never used it either, though but at least it's free.

nemirc
Renderosity Magazine Staff Writer
https://renderositymagazine.com/users/nemirc
https://about.me/aris3d/

yarp ( ) posted Sun, 15 August 2010 at 4:31 AM

Hi nemirc, thanks for the tip. It is free and apparently does the trick but it's a Linux only software.
As for Premiere I am giving up. I don't like Adobe products much, they are heavy and not user friendly. And Premiere is 1 Gb and addons weight 3 GB, so I prefer not even trying it.

I just need to add some text to a video. I thought there would be a simple tool to do that.

nemirc ( ) posted Sun, 15 August 2010 at 10:02 AM

What about the old not-so-good movie maker? :-/

nemirc
Renderosity Magazine Staff Writer
https://renderositymagazine.com/users/nemirc
https://about.me/aris3d/

yarp ( ) posted Sun, 15 August 2010 at 12:36 PM

In fact I never really gave it a try mainly because I don't really know what I can do with it. In the mean time I dropped a mail to my friend GKDantas, because he is doing some video tutorials.

He is using Camtasia Studio to edit his videos but he told me about a cute little video editor called  BB FlashBack. I just gave BB FlashBack Standard a try and this is exaclty what I was looking for.
The main limit is that it is not able to load existing movies (You have to work with Captures made by BB FlashBack).But I can live with that. I can add Captions and even images overlay, this is cute.

I am aware this editor is only dedicated to screen capture and web upload but It appears to do that just fine (and simple). That's all I need at the moment.

Cost 65$, I am buying it. Youtube, here I come :)

Thanks for your assistance nemirc.

markschum ( ) posted Sun, 15 August 2010 at 2:25 PM

www.videohelp.com and check out the tools section. Some free, some shareware and commercial are listed. I liked sony vegas movie studio which was about $80 . Premier elements is guite good but like photoshop elements is a cut-down version of the full application.

yarp ( ) posted Sun, 15 August 2010 at 3:07 PM

Thank you, this is a very comprehensive website.
There are for sure another couple of good candidates here.
Damn, I was stuck on BB FlashBack, but it is worth giving the others a chance.

I am sure Premier is good, but I never felt comfortable with Photoshop, not even with Acrobat Reader. So I prefer giving my money to another company.

btw Vegas Movie is now 100$.

yarp ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2010 at 5:04 PM

I have been testing about 10 Editors and reviewing about 20 others.

The short list is now BB FlashBack and Vegas Movie Studio.
In order to make movies no doubt I would select VMS, but for tutorials purpose it is less obvious. Text editing in BBFB although not as rich as VMS has interesting features. And I am lacking a Text Box style in VMS.

I am hesitating between the 2.

Question to markschum
how would you add text box to your text in VMS. By adding pictures overlay under your text or is there a plugin to do that ?
The difficulty I see if I have to add pictures overlay is to synchronize the pictures (duration, fading, deformation) with the text.

vinhseo125 ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2010 at 10:12 PM

Thanks your sharing so much !!!  VitoryMotorCars

yarp ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 5:22 AM

The final choice is BB FlashBack. Again this is for tutorial purpose video editing, I wouldn't select it as a movie editor.

The utlimate software as a tutorial video editor, would be Camtasia (as recommended by GKDantas). But the price is far over my budget 300$ vs 65 Euros for BBFB).

lovenu ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2010 at 2:34 AM

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.