Mon, Sep 23, 5:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 8:55 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Joystics, Pads, and other 3D controllers

BlackHarmo ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2010 at 8:27 AM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 5:28 AM

Hi,

I'm curious, do any of you guys ever use joysticks, gamepads or even 3D controllers of any kind when modeling? In your experience do these accessories, especially those with programmable features, really bring some confort or speed of use in 3D CG ? And of course, if you think so, would you have any specific model to recommand?

-Jordi- ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2010 at 8:55 AM

I use a graphics tablet and a mouse with a scroll wheel at the same time. I think it's the best combination. I doubt more that sophisticated devices may offer an advantage.

R.P.Studios ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2010 at 9:10 AM

Same here. Wacom and a Razer... all an aspiring artist needs :D

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.

-Jordi- ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2010 at 12:13 PM

Razer looks like an awesome mouse. I use a Hewlet Packard of 1080 ppi, but before that it was a cheap mouse, but always look for one that is big (my hand is wide) and has a wheel that scrolls smoothly, because that is very important in Hexagon and other apps. A rough scroll is horrible.

My tablet is a Packard Bell. My wife uses a Wacom. I like my Packard Bell because it is really fast and accurate, although Wacom's pen looks more solid and good in general.

The monitor I use is an AOC of 17'', I recommend AOC because they are pro monitors at affordable prizes.

Also, I use Magic Formation as software to open apps. I constantly open and close many apps while working, so it helps me a lot. My pc is very hacked at a software level.

R.P.Studios ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2010 at 12:22 PM

I got lucky enough to be stuck in Malaysia for 2 years wher i got all my electronics. I would NEVER use anything else. Razer is the way to go. Laser mouse is fabulous. I have precision up to 1/4 of an inch off the surface. And any surface works(even a mirror) , Teflon feet. It's really nice piece of hardware. i got the bluelight razer copperhead. It is midpriced. Not to bad at the time. the Wacom unfortunately doesent see near as much action as it should. :(

My wife hates both :D

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2010 at 12:26 PM

I use a Belkin N52te Speedpad www.n52te.com/  on my Left hand
I have it programmed for each program I use.. wouldn't be without it.   on my Right is my Wacom graphie 4 and my Logitech MX Revolution mouse.

-Jordi- ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2010 at 12:30 PM

Oh, it looks impressive Kaibach!

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2010 at 12:32 PM

trust me.. it's worth it...  the only trouble I have is when I try using it on programs I've not programmed it for yet.. reaching for it is automatic LOL

-Jordi- ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2010 at 12:50 PM

http://tokyodownstairs.blogspot.com/2008/03/magic-formation.html

If you draw a circle with it, configurable shortcuts open. It is a great time saver! Something similar to what you say happens to me with this. Whenever I'm on another person's computer, I instintively draw circles on the screen waiting Magic Formation to open, LOL!  

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2010 at 1:15 PM

I have a space nav here.. got it for the Wife and her Second Life playing.. she did'nt get along with it..

and I tried it out.. but I prefer the N52 over it. the Spacenav is just to twitchy.

pauljs75 ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2010 at 10:45 PM

I use a Wacom for painting and occasional toying around with sculpting apps. (Sculptris at least.)

I do think it'd be cool if some 3D app out there would let me use any ol' off-the-shelf analog gaming/sim joystick (like my Logitech Attack III) to navigate modeling space. That would be awesome for any large-scale projects. I don't see any logical reason why that couldn't be made to work. (And while providing better control than keyboard or mouse based navigation, because it's analog and I could adjust the rate at which I fly through the environment. It really shouldn't be much different than slew mode in the MS Flight Simulators or UFO in Flight Gear. If you ever used either flight sim, you'd quickly understand how useful that could be.)

Unfortunately, I haven't really seen a 3D app that supports a joystick in the (seemingly obvious) way that I envision it.

Oh wait - there may be a 3D software I know of that uses a joystick, but not for navigation. I haven't really used Daz Studio - but doesn't their "puppeteer" function also support using a joystick as an input method? (I remember watching some vid on YouTube or something.)

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2010 at 11:27 PM

it's easy enough to do tho. there's several apps that will translate joysticks into Keypresses like Xpadder www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Xpadder.shtml

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.