Fri, Sep 20, 1:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Poser 6 animation help needed.

UVDan ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 12:23 PM · edited Mon, 05 August 2024 at 7:56 AM
Forum Moderator

How do I set this scene up so that the brain shown follows the hands?  Or that I can move the brain and the hands will follow along?

When the brain is selected and I try to use the set parent feature, the alien figure and it's hands does not appear among the choices,  I only get the universe, ground, lights, and cameras to choose from.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

drewradley ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 12:37 PM

Open the Hierarchy editor and click on the brain and drag it to one of the hands. If that doesn't work, there is something wrong with either the alien or the brain. Is the brain a figure by chance? To get it to parent to both hands, you need to turn on IK for the other hand, delete all the key frames for all the arm parts (just that one) then set the other hand to be parented to the brain from Object/Change Parent. Then go back and delete all the key frames again. Now the brain should be a child of one of the hands and the other hand is a child of the brain. Simply move the parent hand and both the brain and the other hand should move. Alternatively you can use the brain and make both hands a child of it in the same way as making one. Then when you move the brain, both hands should follow.

Just be mindful that this method often causes joint "popping" if you move it too much.

Now Playing
My Insomnia Presents
Blue Defender

UVDan ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 12:48 PM · edited Fri, 20 August 2010 at 12:51 PM
Forum Moderator

Thanks, the brain is a prop.  IK is greyed out for the alien figure.  I cannot turn it on for hands or feet.  I cannot drag anything in the Hierarchy editor.

drewradley ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 12:59 PM · edited Fri, 20 August 2010 at 1:03 PM

You can set up IK for it in the Hierarchy editor easily enough.  Look for "IK chains" under the alien's body parts and click on it. That should un-gray out the "Create IK chain" button. which you then click and name it Left Hand (or Right). Then you should have a new IK chain available to you. Now simply drag the parts of the arm starting with the collar (or whichever part is furthest from the hand) and drop it onto you new IK chain. Repeat until you finish with the hand. Now you should have IK available in the Figure/ Use IK menu.

Save just before you do this as sometimes this can cause unexpected results if the figure isn't properly set up and this process is not undoable.

Don't know why you can't drag in the hierarchy editor. Perhaps that's new in 7 but I don't think so. Test it out with a primitive such a ball. If it works with the ball, then there is something wrong with your brain - and I mean that in the nicest way possible :)

Now Playing
My Insomnia Presents
Blue Defender

UVDan ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 1:02 PM
Forum Moderator

Thanks.  I was finally able to drag the brain to the right pinky in the Hierarchy editor, now it follows the right hand.

drewradley ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 1:06 PM

Quote -   Thanks.  I was finally able to drag the brain to the right pinky in the Hierarchy editor, now it follows the right hand.

Excellent. Just don't stick that pinky out like a proper Brit drinking tea when he goes to eat it otherwise it will move out as well. LOL

Now Playing
My Insomnia Presents
Blue Defender

UVDan ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 1:27 PM · edited Fri, 20 August 2010 at 6:38 PM
Forum Moderator

Thanks for your help.  I could not get the other arm to IK correctly so I just tried to key frame it to follow along.

drewradley ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 1:32 PM

What is he doing to that brain? Talk about screwing with someones mind... :)

Now Playing
My Insomnia Presents
Blue Defender

lesbentley ( ) posted Sat, 21 August 2010 at 6:10 PM

file_457978.TXT

Attached above is the text of a pz2 (pose) file that should add arm IK chains to most figures. I say "most" because it assumes that the figure uses the standard naming convention for body parts, a few may not. The IK chains are loaded in the 'off' state, you will need to turn them on from the Figure menu.

UVDan ( ) posted Sat, 21 August 2010 at 10:46 PM
Forum Moderator

Thanks.

markschum ( ) posted Sat, 21 August 2010 at 11:07 PM

try parenting the brain to one hand.
then parent the other hand to the brain.
turn ik on for the hand parented to the brain.

move the hand to which the brain is parented, the other should follow.

UVDan ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2010 at 12:42 AM
Forum Moderator

I cannot get the brain parented to the hand.  The hand does not show up in the list.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2010 at 6:53 AM

I wonder.. is the hand called something else? I can't see why it shouldn't show up in the list, especially not if the pinky does...

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

UVDan ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2010 at 4:31 PM
Forum Moderator

I am sorry.  Yes it does show up in the hierarchy editor.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.