Fri, Oct 4, 2:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: OT: If DAZ users have Reality and Poser Users will have Something too for Lux

josterD ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 1:15 PM · edited Wed, 04 September 2024 at 9:33 PM

Hey guys
DAZ Users have reality now. and poser users are working on something too that will use Lux renderer.

Then there won't be any diffierence anymore. Any program that we have will be the same.
And we will be a happy community. That's good

Just wanted to share that

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 1:24 PM · edited Sat, 28 August 2010 at 1:29 PM

My, but you have a lot of faith in people...lol. I suppose that's a good thing. You must be young ;o). It'll wear off before too long....

Laurie

JenX ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 1:30 PM

I would love for that to be true.  

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

DarrenUK ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 1:54 PM

Depends how each exporter handles different element. Also there will always be users who prefer the controls etc of one over the other. There are things that Poser does better than Daz Studio and (ready to wash my mouth out with soap) vice versa. As the programs develop and people create new add-ons there will still be differences. I mean not all artwork created in Poser looks the same, it depends on what the person uses and how they use it.

Why do the programs have to be the same for everyone to get on?

I once met someone who used Daz Studio who I got on with. Wonder whatever happened to whats-his-name? ;-)

Daz Studio 4.8 and 4.9beta, Blender 2.78, Sketchup, Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev SR5 on Windows 8 Pro x64. Poser Display Units are inches

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 2:46 PM

for the kind of work they're putting into their luxrender exporter, they should be allowed to sell
it IMVHO.  maybe shareware at $19.95 american.  then it would be a better deal than the daz
exporter.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 2:56 PM · edited Sat, 28 August 2010 at 3:01 PM

Quote - for the kind of work they're putting into their luxrender exporter, they should be allowed to sell
it IMVHO.  maybe shareware at $19.95 american.  then it would be a better deal than the daz
exporter.

But they aren't. They are keeping it in the spirit of open-source, just like those who created the exporters to LuxRender for other programs. One will be able to modify and/or improve the code of LuxPose if they wish or port it to other renderers. This is what the programmers intended. For some, it's more about the challenge than it is about money ;o). Personally, I don't fault anyone for wanting to make money, but that's not what got this going....lol.

Laurie

markschum ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 4:42 PM

Have you seen the Daz newsletter on Reality plugin ?. $79.95 now discounted. I have to add that thats probably fair for the person who worked it all out and wrote the plugin but its way out of my price range.

ghelmer ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 5:23 PM

How is this "OT"?????  It's 100% pertinent to Poser.  IMHO it is borderline spam as there are already a few valid posts about LuxPose! 

We should just concentrate on the other posts like LaurieA's wishlist & general questions posts!!  

Hope your throat is feeling better Tebop!!

G

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 5:36 PM

Quote - Have you seen the Daz newsletter on Reality plugin ?. $79.95 now discounted. I have to add that thats probably fair for the person who worked it all out and wrote the plugin but its way out of my price range.

And mine, for a plugin ;o). But if he can get it, I wish him well.

Laurie

Jcleaver ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 6:00 PM

I can say I have bought the plugin, as i wanted something I can use with either DS or Poser.  I know, I'm ambidextrous, so to speak.

The plugin is OK, but has some issues.  The main one is the belief of the author that people don't want a complete exporter.  What i mean is he left things out on purpose because he wanted to make it a 1-click solution.  It isn't 1-click by any means.  Bumps/displacement is not handled correctly, if at all.  There are some interface issues, but that is to be expected.

On the plus side, it does a decent job with almost all scenes providing that you are willing to work on the materials inside the plugin window.  For instance, most materials are glossy, and high gloss at that.  Everything tends to reflect like a mirror, even brick walls.

Overall, it is pricey, but at least while on sale it is worth it to me.  But i can't wait for LuxPose to be finished.

adp001 ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 6:10 PM

Silly question perhaps, but because I do know nothing about DS: What happens with Poser materials (all the sweat skins one can buy) if loaded into DS?

Jcleaver ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 6:14 PM

Poser materials do not work in DS.  I don't think you can even try to load one.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 6:47 PM · edited Sat, 28 August 2010 at 6:48 PM

Quote - Silly question perhaps, but because I do know nothing about DS: What happens with Poser materials (all the sweat skins one can buy) if loaded into DS?

Only the most basic things convert well from Poser to DS and what I mean by that is think Poser 4 - only the most basic reflection, specular, transparency...pretty much only those things that are on the root node in Poser versions higher than 4. If a procedural shader is used in Poser, it won't show up in DS except for maybe the diffuse color and gloss.

Laurie

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 8:19 PM

Quote - How is this "OT"?????  It's 100% pertinent to Poser.  IMHO it is borderline spam as there are already a few valid posts about LuxPose! 

We should just concentrate on the other posts like LaurieA's wishlist & general questions posts!!  

Hope your throat is feeling better Tebop!!

G

I believe he felt it was OT because of his optimism which is QUITE OT for the Poser Forum. :tt2:

My Freebies

ghelmer ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 8:45 PM

I believe he felt it was OT because of his optimism which is QUITE OT for the Poser Forum. :tt2:

Ah!!!!  I see!!!  Good point!   I used to be harsh optimistic to the point of niavety, but the forums changed me!!  LOL!!  Totally just kidding BTW!!!

Gerard

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

pzrite ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 9:28 PM

I was just on the verge of buying "Reality", but then a tiny voice in my head (which sounded oddly like my wife's voice) said, don't do it, it's a lot of money and you got bills to pay.

But the thing that really stopped me from buying it was that I realized it was not really any better or produce different types of renders than the setup I use now:  I export Poser scenes into Vue 8 and I can pretty much get a whole variety of quality renders including the type that "Reality" does.
I know it's a different render engine, but the results are pretty similar.

I realize not everyone has Vue, so then Reality is a cheaper option for DS users.  But for me, it would just be redundant, repeating myself, duplicating the process.....etc.

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 11:23 PM

Not to mention Carrara and Bryce as well! DS3 can directly send your scene into Bryce and Carrara can load Poser Content. BOTH are cheaper options than Reality....

My Freebies

josterD ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 12:43 AM

So you guys are saying Lux  render is not really that impressive or dififerent than Vue?
I thought they were hyping it up cause it is supposedly really awesome.

I was starting to get excited but it's not worth it?

I dont have Vue.. but i used it before. And i was thinking Lux would be better

Jcleaver ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 12:50 AM

I have to honestly say that Lux is impressive with architectural models.  Not so much organic.  As to Reality, it is OK, but I think LuxPose will be better, only because of the devs wanting to make an exporter that can take full advantage of Lux, whereas Reality's dev doesn't want to do so.

I have Vue also, and i love that too.  Vue is better at some things, and Lux is better at others.  When ver 9 of Vue Infinite arrives, it will have one of the main features I like about Lux, and that is the ability to control lighting after it renders

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 2:26 AM

Quote - I have to honestly say that Lux is impressive with architectural models.  Not so much organic.  As to Reality, it is OK, but I think LuxPose will be better, only because of the devs wanting to make an exporter that can take full advantage of Lux, whereas Reality's dev doesn't want to do so.

I have Vue also, and i love that too.  Vue is better at some things, and Lux is better at others.  When ver 9 of Vue Infinite arrives, it will have one of the main features I like about Lux, and that is the ability to control lighting after it renders

Lux is still in it's early stages though & Vue has been around for a few years. If it survives the "stigma" of being associated with Poser it'll get better. Some misguided people still see Poser as the Red-Headed step child of 3D. ;)

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 4:00 AM

Quote - So you guys are saying Lux  render is not really that impressive or dififerent than Vue?
I thought they were hyping it up cause it is supposedly really awesome.

I was starting to get excited but it's not worth it?

I dont have Vue.. but i used it before. And i was thinking Lux would be better

I'm not saying any such thing. I haven't even TRIED Lux Render because I don't feel like commiting any time to something so new and under developed and also because I DO have Vue, Bryce and Carrara if I need better renders.

I'm certainly not knocking something that's free. I'm just saying that it's not the only game in town for Poser users just as Reality isn't the only game in town for DS users and certainly not the cheapest game for DS  users.

My Freebies

ice-boy ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 4:13 AM

Lux render is very special compared to other renders that we are used to.

i suggest that all of you watch a lot of youtube videos and read a lot of info before you download Lux.

i would also not suggest to use Lux for animation if you dont have a hgue computer with GPU. noise is always part of Lux.

pzrite ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 7:24 AM · edited Sun, 29 August 2010 at 7:25 AM

I think the distinction should be made here:  LuxRender is free.  "Reality" is not.  "Reality" is the bridge between Daz Studio and Lux Render and IMHO is kind of on the expensive side.  For me it crosses the line of buying it and not being able to afford it (or justify buying it).

What I said originally is that I already own Vue and with the right setup, I can get renders that match (or come very close to) the renders created using "Reality".  Plus Vue allows me other types of renders as well.  And with the addition of SkinVue, Poser figures take on that extra shine.

The renders I've seen of Poser figures using "Reality" all seem too flat.  It's like just taking the figure map, laying it out flat, and lighting it equally.   This is good for some renders, but as I said Vue gives me the option to create other types of renders as well.

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 8:05 AM · edited Sun, 29 August 2010 at 8:07 AM

"The renders I've seen of Poser figures using "Reality" all seem too flat.  It's like just taking the figure map, laying it out flat, and lighting it equally.   This is good for some renders, but as I said Vue gives me the option to create other types of renders as well."***

To be Fair the DAZ plugin works with the free version
of D/S 3.x
So for only  $80 USD you can have a decent exporter
for sending your poser content to the free LUX render.
But LUX is really better suited for sterile architectural
& Product renders IMHO. and most naked/semi-naked Mike&Vickies
Look rather "Odd" in a truly realistic physicaly correct environment.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

R_Hatch ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2010 at 3:17 AM · edited Mon, 30 August 2010 at 3:17 AM

The only way they'll look correct is when/if someone develops a set of maps that work with LuxRender's way of doing things, and probably also for LuxRender to get SSS.

Also, for those wishing to do animation, SmallLuxGPU is in development, which uses the GPU to render, rather than the CPU, which makes for significantly faster renders. Provided, of course, that you have a fairly decent GPU that supports OpenCL (newer ones do much better). That's not a typo, btw.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.