Thu, Sep 19, 8:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 3:46 am)

Subject: What's the secret to making good dynamic clothing?

Cyberwoman ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 6:54 PM · edited Sat, 27 July 2024 at 1:22 AM

I've downloaded some really good dynamic clothing; my own attempts at modeling it... not so good. So mostly I make conforming clothing, which is fine except that I've got a project coming up that I'm going to need to make dynamic clothing for. Is there anyone who has more experience with dynamic clothing than I do who can give me some design tips? I've heard that objects with lots of little modeled details like buttons, belt loops, etc. don't make good dynamic cloth--is that true?

~*I've made it my mission to build Cyberworld, one polygon at a time*~

Watch it happen at my technology blog, Building Cyberworld.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 7:11 PM · edited Fri, 27 August 2010 at 7:12 PM

Quote - I've downloaded some really good dynamic clothing; my own attempts at modeling it... not so good. So mostly I make conforming clothing, which is fine except that I've got a project coming up that I'm going to need to make dynamic clothing for. Is there anyone who has more experience with dynamic clothing than I do who can give me some design tips? I've heard that objects with lots of little modeled details like buttons, belt loops, etc. don't make good dynamic cloth--is that true?

Dynamic clothing, especially clothing with lots of details, requires a little more thought and planning than conforming perhaps. Seams and hems and buttons, etc. must have their own group and not be welded to the rest of the clothes.

Rigid groups normally don't have problems so long as they are not touching the article of clothing below. Float them just a tiny, tiny bit above the main clothing mesh. Rigid groups are used for things like buttons, buckles and things that don't normally flex but need to stay hard. Soft-decorated groups are good for things like seams, pockets, etc. where the item needs to move with the underlying clothing but not pass through it. Constrained groups keep items in place, such as necklines or spaghetti straps that you don't want sliding down the shoulders during a simulation.

Laurie

Cyberwoman ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2010 at 12:37 AM

Okay, thanks! That's good to know. As it turns out, I might be able to get away with making only one part of the clothing dynamic and having the rest conforming... I'll have to experiment. There's always something new to learn!

~*I've made it my mission to build Cyberworld, one polygon at a time*~

Watch it happen at my technology blog, Building Cyberworld.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.