Mon, Sep 9, 5:53 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 08 12:29 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Missing Poll

Tessalynne ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 4:43 AM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 4:13 PM

Just got my September 1 newsletter and clicked on the link to the exe file poll, only there is no poll to vote on, just a description of what the poll is supposed to be about?  Did it get lost?

Silke ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 5:09 AM

Yep, I don't see a poll either.
And I think the Mac users really don't like exe files. :)

Silke

Bea ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 5:33 AM

I found it but I did go to the home page and that took me to it without any problem.

MAKardel ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 5:35 AM

Don’t found the poll link too. And: Yes, I am a Mac user and don’t like exe-files, cause I can’t use them for anything.

MAKardel ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 5:41 AM

Quote - I found it but I did go to the home page and that took me to it without any problem.

Thanks, but if I go to the home page, I only find a link to the Buyers Poll that linked me to the same site without any poll – looks line the newsletter. There is only a link to the annual survey that works, not to the working buyers poll. Or does it mean the same ...?

MAKardel ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 5:44 AM

Uh, now I found. > Annual Survey >> Buyers Poll. Why so comlicated?

Bobbie25 ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 7:38 AM · edited Wed, 01 September 2010 at 7:45 AM

Well its not just exe  files .There is dmg files made just for mac ppl as well.

========================================================
Typing Advisory :
Read at your own risk! May cause
dizziness, naseua,drooling, and temporary blindness.
Surgeon General recommends running the txt through a spell checker.

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 9:00 AM

I think this is a fabulous idea...dmg for mac users, exe for win users, and if rendo leaves the door open for the buyer to have a choice of zip still, this will broaden the amount of buyers as well

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 9:00 AM

Quote -  Uh, now I found. > Annual Survey >> Buyers Poll. Why so comlicated?

Whats so complicated?

thaaksma ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 9:37 AM

I apologize for all the confusion people are finding in this article.  The idea of this article is to get a feeling from Renderosity's buying community if they would find it beneficial to have pc related .exe files and mac related .dmg files.  At the end of the article there is a place for the buyer to vote yes or no.

Please keep in mind that for customized directories, the user will have to ability in these installers to specify their personal folder destinations.

I've checked the newsletter link and all seems to work well in directing traffic to this article.

Thanks,
Tim

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 9:42 AM

Oh good deal =)

Tessalynne ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 4:58 PM

Okay, well I'll have to go check again, going from the home page only took me to the same info page.  I have to go and at least vote my resounding NO to this idea.  Content in executable files is a major pain, its the only thing that I really don't like about DAZ content.  There is too much click through when installing things, no way to preview the files to make sure they got put into the proper structure (mistakes happen all to frequently) and all the newer system security features really don't like them.  sigh  If it isn't broke, why 'fix' it.

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 4:59 PM

They are NOT changing it...they are adding to the zips. The buyer will have a CHOICE of zip OR exe

AnnieD ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 5:01 PM

When I go to the poll this is what I see at the end of the article:

**"Before any decisions are made to offer these MarketPlace enhancements, we wanted to make sure we gave you the opportunity to answer the following question. Thank you for your continued support and loyalty!"

**There is NO "following question"...however there is the opinion box for everyone to use...soooo.....is that what we are to use?  the opinion box to leave a msg.?

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 5:04 PM

There should be a spot to vote above all of the comments...right under the actual poll question.

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 5:05 PM

The question is actually right under that statement...maybe try a different browser?

Tessalynne ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 5:57 PM

There is no following question, only opinion boxes and this is using Firefox 3.6.8 and firefox is the browser I always use here, so is this the issue, some of us are not getting the actual poll question?

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:09 PM

file_458570.jpg

here

AnnieD ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:32 PM

I still can't get it..I'm using IE

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

AnnieD ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:37 PM

I wonder if the confusion over the meaning of the poll is due to many of us not having access to the question?

[Stuart Chase]

Hawkins-GraFX ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 7:09 PM

Thanks for the screen shot propschick however, I dont see that when I go to the article.

The Poll question isnt there.

Firefox 3.6.8

Hawkins-GraFX ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 7:11 PM

Same thing when using IE 8.

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 7:12 PM

I see it in firefox and IE

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 7:23 PM · edited Wed, 01 September 2010 at 7:30 PM

I much prefer zip files.  If RO wants to introduce the option of zip or .exe I'm ok with that. I just don't want to see RO go all .exe. It's a PITA installing Daz stuff, all that clicking!!

In addition to that, not everyone installs things to the main poser library. I for one use a multitude of external runtimes located on a different hard drive.

Also, anyone who uses Poser knows that you don't just install or unzip anything directly into your runtimes. At least not if you expect to be able to find it and use it again.  Just because the vendor may name their folders one thing, or in many cases, a different name for each library folder, doesn't mean that I want to use those names!

Currently with DAZ .exe files, I install them to a folder on my desktop, just like I unzip .zip files to my desk top, then go through the folders, rename and sort and then move the folders to the appropriate runtime.

If RO wants to offer .exe files, that's great.  So long as it's only an option and not being forced on everyone. I would rather download and use .zip files than to work with .exe files especially if the are like DAZ .exe files which is click after click after click in order to extract the file.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

nruddock ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2010 at 2:14 AM

Quote - I see it in firefox and IE

For me, whatever browser I use, the poll only appears when I'm not logged in.
The HTML for the poll just isn't there when I am logged in, so I'm thinking that it's setup to show only under certain conditions, e.g. visiting the page via the email or being on the list of those sent the email.

Bea ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2010 at 3:11 AM

I don't think I got the email I was just reading the front page and saw the poll there

AnnieD ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2010 at 3:32 AM

Quote - > Quote - I see it in firefox and IE

For me, whatever browser I use, the poll only appears when I'm not logged in.
The HTML for the poll just isn't there when I am logged in, so I'm thinking that it's setup to show only under certain conditions, e.g. visiting the page via the email or being on the list of those sent the email.

Well now...I'm not sure how I feel about this.   I decided to try logging out to see if the poll question would be there and guess what?  It IS there.  But when I log back in it is NOT there???

Sumbody got some splainin to do Lucy!

[Stuart Chase]

Bea ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2010 at 6:42 AM

Have you taken the poll? 

AnnieD ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2010 at 9:37 AM · edited Thu, 02 September 2010 at 9:39 AM

No..I haven't been able to because the question has never been available to me.

I can take it now...but I have to be logged out and do it as a "visitor"....instead of a "member"

[Stuart Chase]

thaaksma ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2010 at 11:04 AM

It appears as though some people were not able to cast their vote for various reasons.  The issue has since been resolved so please, feel free, to re-visit this page in question to cast your vote!  We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience.  Thanks.

nruddock ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2010 at 12:27 PM

Quote - The issue has since been resolved ...

So what exactly was the problem ?

3dstories ( ) posted Sun, 05 September 2010 at 6:45 AM

I voted "no" with explanation, but I am using Firefox, and the pol question at the bottom wasn't there. It wasn't a matter of misreading.

Nowhere else does it say that Renderosity is adding the *.exe option, and keeping zip.

I would have changed my vote, but I will still probably opt for zip.

Exe's are faster, but I get concerned about everytime MSFT upgrades windows whether they change something and then the exe won't work. With a zip there are enough other vendors that I feel I will be able to unzip files no matter what. Also I like being able to preview readme's and contents.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.