Fri, Oct 4, 2:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: No Need for LuxPose, Reality..Just do it in Preview mode!!!!!

josterD ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 9:46 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 2:24 PM

I see people fighting about render engines and programs. Personally i dont even care about  Rendering. So i don't even use rendering.

Maybe good for backgrounds but i dont really care. I use the lowest settings, so that i can render in 1 minute.

Preview mode is the way to go. I mean who cares. I dont care about rendering.

These days Preview mode is better than ever. It's near render quality so why waste time rendering.

You can add shadows by hand painting them later.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 9:53 AM

I say this is the nicest possible way....are you a little "simple"? Hand paint shadows?

Dang, what year is this? ;o).

Laurie

Malysse ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 10:20 AM

I find it's easiest not ot even bother with the preview image. Just compose a scene then make a quick copy of it with Playdough (use lots of colours for best effect). Place a box with a pinhole near the Playdough models and shine a light on it. then you can just trace the scene that's now projected on the back of the box with a crayon (or felt tip if you can afford the Pro version).

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 10:24 AM

Quote - I find it's easiest not ot even bother with the preview image. Just compose a scene then make a quick copy of it with Playdough (use lots of colours for best effect). Place a box with a pinhole near the Playdough models and shine a light on it. then you can just trace the scene that's now projected on the back of the box with a crayon (or felt tip if you can afford the Pro version).

Laurie

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 10:27 AM

Quote - I see people fighting about render engines and programs. Personally i dont even care about  Rendering. So i don't even use rendering.

Maybe good for backgrounds but i dont really care. I use the lowest settings, so that i can render in 1 minute.

These days Preview mode is better than ever. It's near render quality so why waste time rendering.

I appologise for this in advance :) 

"Are you from the Past?"

John

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 10:30 AM

But seriously :) if thats the level you are happy with then all power to you.  Do I want the Lux Renderer?  Not particularly, and not for $80 (im not a platinum member), and certainly not enough to learn Daz Studio.

I shall be waiting to see what the lads here come up with for Poser.  Even then it will only really be to keep up with other vendors, in the promo pics arms race :)

Gotta make them promos look good ;)

John

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

samhal ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 10:55 AM

:)

Give me BluRay over DVD, HDTV over TV, 12 megapixels over 1.3 megapixels, HiRes rendering over Preview mode...you get the idea...but to each their own.

Just sayin'.

:)

i7 6800 (6 core/12 thread), 24 GB RAM, 1 gtx 1080 ti (8GB Vram) + 1 Titan X (12GB Vram), PP11, Octane/Poser plugin, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Oh, and a wiener dog!

Raindroptheelf ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 11:04 AM · edited Wed, 01 September 2010 at 11:10 AM

I am sorry, I can not help feeling that person is a Windup Merchant.

Who in their right mind would render in Preview MODE and even be happy with it?

Handpainting Shadows?
By the time one has handpainted the Shadows the Render on highest Settings will have done a great job lol.

Edit : just looked and josterD does not even have one single Picture in the Gallery, makes one wonder. hmmm

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 11:21 AM

personally I'm shifting to rendering using Dust Bunnies.

ima70 ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 11:23 AM · edited Wed, 01 September 2010 at 11:24 AM

Even I don't agree with you JosterD, I respect your personal taste, deserve respect since you did a respecful statement of your preferences, if you enjoy doing things that way then go on :-)

(Just in case, I don't use sarcasm nor irony, that's my true opinion)

geep ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 11:25 AM · edited Wed, 01 September 2010 at 11:28 AM

Quote -  I am sorry, I can not help feeling that person is a Windup Merchant.

Handpainting Shadows?
By the time one has handpainted the Shadows the Render on highest Settings will have done a great job lol.

Edit : just looked and josterD does not even have one single Picture in the Gallery, makes one wonder. hmmm

Maybe still hand painting .... dare I say it ...... shadows? :lol:
(sorry, couldn't resist)

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

ghelmer ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 11:36 AM

Quote -

But then you'll need a lot of Windex to clean the painted shadows of the monitor screen when you want to do another picture!!  PITA if you ask me!!!  

Sorry but this seems like yet another TROLL topic from topic creator.  It was Tebop's constant "Corky from Life Goes On" OT posts that turned me off the forums a few years ago and it seems like he's back with new name!!

Gerard

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 11:40 AM · edited Wed, 01 September 2010 at 11:41 AM

Hmm in another thread you wrote
"
"Ok so I've been planning my movie for some time. But i haven't started."

and you also said:

"but i want to try animation because i love doing animation. Yet I'm not the type that wants to just waste alot of time doing it.

...and now you say :

"so why waste time rendering.
You can add shadows by hand painting them later."

A 10 second animation at 30 FPS is 300 frames .
are you going to  hand paint shadows on 300
images????

LOL!!!

My website

YouTube Channel

ghelmer ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 11:47 AM · edited Wed, 01 September 2010 at 11:49 AM

Just wanted to chime in OT and say "Hi" to wolf359!!  Long time no see!!  Your 2010 character physics reel is awesome!!  I loved the part where Vicky got creamed by the falling barrels!!  Knowing of course your Vicky dislike!!  And the part where the little piggy had the seizure was cool too!!  [edit: ah he got hit by a ball!!]
Honestly I wish I had your focus for animation and Poser'ing!!!

Great work there!!  

Gerard

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 11:58 AM

Vicky got creamed by falling barrels?? I might have to check that out....

Laurie

icprncss2 ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 12:28 PM

Quote - I see people fighting about render engines and programs. Personally i dont even care about  Rendering. So i don't even use rendering.

If you have enough talent to hand paint the shadows properly, why are you even bothering with 3D?  Why don't you just hand paint the entire scene from scratch?

When you say later, how much later?  How many 1 minute renders have you actually finished?  Not just the hand painted shadows but all the other little details.

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 12:31 PM

Quote - Just wanted to chime in OT and say "Hi" to wolf359!!  Long time no see!!  Your 2010 character physics reel is awesome!!  I loved the part where Vicky got creamed by the falling barrels!!  Knowing of course your Vicky dislike!!  And the part where the little piggy had the seizure was cool too!!  [edit: ah he got hit by a ball!!]
Honestly I wish I had your focus for animation and Poser'ing!!!

Great work there!!  

Gerard

Hi there
Thanks for the kind words!!!
those clips were alot of fun to make.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 12:34 PM · edited Wed, 01 September 2010 at 12:35 PM

Quote -  I am sorry, I can not help feeling that person is a Windup Merchant.

Handpainting Shadows?

Windup Artist would be a better description. ;)

I have nothing in my gallery too you know. :tt2:

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

moogal ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 2:38 PM

If preview had shadows and bump/normal mapping, I could almost get by with it.  I have been asking for improvements to the preview since Poser 5.  Would love to see Poser catch up to iClone in this respect.

momodot ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 3:46 PM · edited Wed, 01 September 2010 at 3:59 PM

I think JosterD is right on! For years I just exported Previews. I use Poser for the purpose it was originated... as a quick way to establish a painting to be done IRW or in digital painting. I still use Poser without lights frequently: just plugging textures into the ambient sometimes with an edge blender for shading. "Hand painting-in the shadows" in Photoshop is trivial... select the object, float a copy, fill, deform, blur. I would love a version of Poser that optimized the preview and did not bother with any other rendering. I would love a Preview-Only version of Poser even if it had restrictions such as only three lights, limited shader support, etc.

Working preview-only can result in serious productivity gain. It can also make a qualitative difference when people focus on subject matter and composition rather than get bogged down with simulated lighting effects. I think a "Poser 9" that was more like a game rendering engine then a faux Max or Maya would totally rock. There are games such as Spore and All Points Bulletin that allow wonderful dynamic figure design with rigging on the fly etc. A Poser universe that was plug-and-play would be so awesome. Be great for animators, be great for graphic novelists, be great for old-style painters like me.

Some artists use Poser for the same reason artists have used cameras and projectors for the last 150 years and Camera Obscura and Lucida long prior that... fast way to lay out compositions and fix proportions and forshortening before getting down to the business of painting. As for pure CGI I think a lot of people focused more on subject matter and content with Poser 4 while now people spend a lot of time fine tuning "render-realistic" renders that could be done easier with a high end render engine but don't say a lot as images. Poser 4 had a distinctive toonish look that set it apart from both other CGI and traditional RW media. Now it often looks like failed photorealism with a creepy uncanny quality.

Just IMHO

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 3:54 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

file_458563.jpg

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

momodot ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 3:58 PM

Wow! Some people seem really touchy about how other people play with their toys :)

umblefugly ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 4:01 PM · edited Wed, 01 September 2010 at 4:02 PM

Quote - I find it's easiest not ot even bother with the preview image. Just compose a scene then make a quick copy of it with Playdough (use lots of colours for best effect). Place a box with a pinhole near the Playdough models and shine a light on it. then you can just trace the scene that's now projected on the back of the box with a crayon (or felt tip if you can afford the Pro version).

Unfortunately I can only afford the 3 crayon child set (The Lite Version) with only the primary colors. :(

momodot ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 4:04 PM · edited Wed, 01 September 2010 at 4:06 PM

I guess some of you guys think painting with a limited palette is stupid too when there are so many colors. Good to know. Artistic merit is strictly proportional to CPU power. I'll jot that on a post-it. It isn't the skill of the artist but the size of the brush!

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 4:10 PM

Quote - Wow! Some people seem really touchy about how other people play with their toys :)

Wow!  Despite being here for the best part of 10 years, some people still don't understand me or my sense of humour.

I don't give a rat's ass what anyone does with their copy of Poser.  Far as I'm concerned, they can dip the CDs in paint and roll them on the floor.  I thought the pic would give some of you a laugh.  My mistake.

My Store

My Gallery

momodot ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 4:16 PM

Wow! You don't know how unpleasant it is to have a picture of Jamie Lee Curtis or whoever that is in your face without the courtesy of a content advisory!

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 4:21 PM

Quote - Wow! You don't know how unpleasant it is to have a picture of Jamie Lee Curtis...

:lol: !!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Vestmann ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 4:22 PM

The title of this thread indicated that LuxPose or Reality is not necessary because Poser's preview renderer should suffice.  This whole topic is "silly" down to the bone.  I sometimes use only the preview renderer when I need a reference for Photoshop but to imply that the preview renderer is the be all, end all of Poser is "silly" to say the least and invites all the sarcastic remarks that have surfaced so far.

If someone is content with using only the preview renderer, that's fine by me.  But don't say all the bells and whistles are unnecessary.  That's just silly.

Vestmann's Gallery

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 4:24 PM

Quote - ...Jamie Lee Curtis...

Awesome!  I'll never be able to think of either of them in the same way now. :lol:

My Store

My Gallery

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 4:42 PM

....what picture of Jamie Lee Curtis????

ghelmer ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 4:47 PM

I LOL'd from your pic Sam!!  Totally appropriate for the situation and with language advisory ticked so I wasn't offended at all!!   :P  Unlike when I clicked on the homepage gallery link of one of the above posters and was greeted by a full page (poser pic) of nekkid man and exposed man stuff!!  That was unpleasant having that in my face sans warning!!! 

Gerard

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 4:52 PM · edited Wed, 01 September 2010 at 4:52 PM

Quote - ....what picture of Jamie Lee Curtis????

Um, Tommy Lee Curtis? Jamie Lee Jones? Wha???

I thought the pic was hilarious ;o).

Laurie

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:39 PM

OP has posted sevl. vids at youtube IIRC, but it's common for forum users to post no gallery
renders. e.g. it took me 9 mos. to post my first one this year.  I mostly post renders in forums.

p.s I would like somebody who can use luxrender to render the new sponza atrium.  the old
sponza atrium came with some versions of vue, but the new atrium has more detail and colour.

momodot ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:49 PM · edited Wed, 01 September 2010 at 7:04 PM

ghelmer, that is me I think who put the nakkid man parts in your face and I'll fix it... I thought the nudity flag would catch it but not on the Homepage I guess. I even have the image of a guy in jeans but no shirt nudity flagged but it didn't cross my mind that folks might be not expecting the full montey on my Homepage. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Sorry :)

Silly is a strong way to put it. Maybe the OP thinks she/he is doing a service pointing out to newbies the possibility of a different approach. No reason to lambast him/her for that. It helps people to keep an open mind. No one is saying your fireFly should be taken away from you but I actuall am sincere when I say that a preview-only or let us say "Realtime Render" version of Poser would be cool and maybe a great gateway to Poser. Poser Artist didn't work out because the wrong things were included and the wrong things left out which is not to say that a properly conceptualized Poser Limited Edition might not be fantastic if properly conceptualized. My kids have long wanted a version of Poser that was more accessible but Poser 4 can't run on our machine.

Kitt_24 ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 7:03 PM

one has to wonder.....is he gamma correcting those hand painted preview render shadows? :)

>^..^<
~all knowledge is worth having~

ghelmer ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 8:08 PM

Don't worry about it momodot!!  I always check homepages and galleries from forum posts I follow to see what peepz I don't know are up to artistically and today when I checked yours was the EXACT time my 11 year old daughter walks by and asks with a very effeminate lisp "What's that you're looking at Daddy?"  LOL!!  I explained I was just on Renderosity and she said dismissively "Pfftt, say no more!!"  Was kinda funny now that I think about it.  

My 2 cents on the OP's intents: I think he/she just starts ridiculous OT topics and see how far we long time members will take it as he/she rarely chimes back in on their posts and we end up feeding the trolling!! 

Also about 0 gallery posts, I don't think that can be a good metre stick as I haven't had anything in my gallery for a few years now after cleaning house but still have 276 members adding me as a favorite artist in the past so a 0 gallery can be misleading.

Gerard

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

josterD ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 8:20 PM · edited Wed, 01 September 2010 at 8:21 PM

Quote - ghelmer, that is me I think who put the nakkid man parts in your face and I'll fix it... I thought the nudity flag would catch it but not on the Homepage I guess. I even have the image of a guy in jeans but no shirt nudity flagged but it didn't cross my mind that folks might be not expecting the full montey on my Homepage. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Sorry :)

Silly is a strong way to put it. Maybe the OP thinks she/he is doing a service pointing out to newbies the possibility of a different approach. No reason to lambast him/her for that. It helps people to keep an open mind. No one is saying your fireFly should be taken away from you but I actuall am sincere when I say that a preview-only or let us say "Realtime Render" version of Poser would be cool and maybe a great gateway to Poser. Poser Artist didn't work out because the wrong things were included and the wrong things left out which is not to say that a properly conceptualized Poser Limited Edition might not be fantastic if properly conceptualized. My kids have long wanted a version of Poser that was more accessible but Poser 4 can't run on our machine.

Exactly. I think alot of people get to caught up with wanting to make Full quality stuff just because the Software advertises itself as having that capability( GI, ambient occlusion, full renders that are stunning). But they forget that you don't need all that.  IN turn, they end up wasting alot of time that could be used to actually produce something.

Example: 15 minutes working on rendering and image VS 15 minutes of making a full animated scene in preview mode. Which would you rather have?

Anyways, yes, i come up with ideas that i hope people     can use. Maybe other people already thought about these things, but I discover them and get excited so i post to share.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 8:43 PM · edited Wed, 01 September 2010 at 8:44 PM

file_458575.jpg

I'm not much interested in the original topic, but...

Quote - p.s I would like somebody who can use luxrender to render the new sponza atrium.  the old
sponza atrium came with some versions of vue, but the new atrium has more detail and colour.

Here ya go.

I imported the OBJ into Poser. I didn't like the big curtain in the middle so I made it transparent. Otherwise, I did not touch any materials.

Exported with LuxPose in 21 seconds.

Rendered in LuxRender for exactly 10 minutes.

Total time I spent on this render - 15 minutes. snicker

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Vestmann ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 9:14 PM

Quote - > Quote - ghelmer, that is me I think who put the nakkid man parts in your face and I'll fix it... I thought the nudity flag would catch it but not on the Homepage I guess. I even have the image of a guy in jeans but no shirt nudity flagged but it didn't cross my mind that folks might be not expecting the full montey on my Homepage. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Sorry :)

Exactly. I think alot of people get to caught up with wanting to make Full quality stuff just because the Software advertises itself as having that capability( GI, ambient occlusion, full renders that are stunning). But they forget that you don't need all that.  IN turn, they end up wasting alot of time that could be used to actually produce something.

Example: 15 minutes working on rendering and image VS 15 minutes of making a full animated scene in preview mode. Which would you rather have?

Anyways, yes, i come up with ideas that i hope people     can use. Maybe other people already thought about these things, but I discover them and get excited so i post to share.

I get your point and I applaud you for pointing out the possibility of using the preview renderer.  But what has LuxPose or other renderers got to do with it and why do go out of your way to deem them unnecessary?  It only serves to get others riled up and then the sarcastic posts begin.  So if you, or anyone else is disappointed about the replies you've gotten, you can blame the thread title and OP.

Vestmann's Gallery

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 9:28 PM · edited Wed, 01 September 2010 at 9:28 PM

file_458576.jpg

I let it continue rendering for another 40 minutes while I browsed the forums.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 9:31 PM · edited Wed, 01 September 2010 at 9:33 PM

file_458578.jpg

Here's the preview render. Good luck painting the shadows.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 9:45 PM

o.k., thx fr renders, bill. they look very good IMVHO.  the new sponza atrium comes with
a gi_flag matl. for which they forgot to distrib. a tga file, and I found that it's badly UV-mapped,
e.g. for a rect. img. to fit it in poser, the central hanging curtain needs Uscale ~ .29, Vscale~ .58.
in render 2, luxrender:

• how many bounces?
  • what was lite source?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 9:48 PM

Quote - o.k., thx fr renders, bill. they look very good IMVHO.  the new sponza atrium comes with
a gi_flag matl. for which they forgot to distrib. a tga file, and I found that it's badly UV-mapped,
e.g. for a rect. img. to fit it in poser, the central hanging curtain needs Uscale ~ .29, Vscale~ .58.
in render 2, luxrender: - how many bounces?

• what was lite source?

16 bounces. Light was a single infinite light in Poser. Using my (unreleased) version of LuxPose, I enabled the export of the infinite as a Lux Sun+Sky light, so it was one light, but includes the sky. However, the opening at the top is so narrow, the sky doesn't contribute very much. Most of the light is bounced light from the pool of direct illumination.

Vestmann ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 9:58 PM

Quote - Here's the preview render. Good luck painting the shadows.

Now THAT was unnecessary! ;)

Vestmann's Gallery

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2010 at 2:54 PM

Quote - > Quote - Here's the preview render. Good luck painting the shadows.

Now THAT was unnecessary! ;)

But funny.  :)

My Store

My Gallery

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2010 at 3:08 PM

...but where's Jamie Lee Curtis?

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2010 at 3:10 PM · edited Thu, 02 September 2010 at 3:12 PM

Behind the newspaper. She looks bad, I know...must be letting herself go.... She's starting to resemble Tommy Lee Jones...

;o)

Laurie

Vestmann ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2010 at 3:17 PM

Yeah she's not quite the hot bod she was in True Lies.  But she's a great actress with such a range.  Loved her in The Fugitive and Men in Black ;)

Vestmann's Gallery

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2010 at 3:22 PM

I would have thought all that yogurt and digestive aids would have kept her more "fresh". It's not working....

Laurie

ghelmer ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2010 at 3:23 PM · edited Thu, 02 September 2010 at 3:37 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

file_458597.jpg

Wasn't Tommy Lee Curtis the drummer in Motley Crue?  LOLZ!!!

I'm totally just being silly and jumping on the bandwagon and not trying to make fun of anyone!!

Gerard

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

R_Hatch ( ) posted Fri, 03 September 2010 at 3:07 AM

I can draw a full-color image using only 3 colored pencils. I prefer to use Luxrender :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.