Fri, Sep 20, 1:47 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: My Insomnia Presents Fritz Leiber's The Night of the Long Knives

drewradley ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 2:56 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 1:35 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains violence

My Insomnia Presents a sneak peak of The Night of the Long Knives based on the public domain novel by Fritz Leiber. Here is the first minute of the animation. No sound effects and only a youtube music selection. Animated in Poser Pro. Rendered in Carrara 8 pro. .

Best viewed in HD. Comments encouraged!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S8b-VK-fLc

Now Playing
My Insomnia Presents
Blue Defender

Seaview123 ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 4:06 PM

That was a pretty cool looking animation scene, and the lighting you got out of Cararra is really sharp. How did you do the blood effects, is that a particle effect? Very nice work.

drewradley ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 4:34 PM

Thanks! The lights are a light set I got over at DAZ  that fakes global illumination. Much faster than actual GI. The  blood sprays are metaball particles.

Now Playing
My Insomnia Presents
Blue Defender

JenX ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 5:47 PM

Nice style :)  I enjoyed it so much, I watched it twice!

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

KimberlyC ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:15 PM

Awesome. Good job on that :)

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:44 PM · edited Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:48 PM

I wanted to mention that, in druid history, the nite of long knives refers to the saxons'
slaughter of the britons during the reign of arthur's predecessor.  then a later group of saxons
came and finished off arthur (romano-british).  I thought drew's video was pretty good.

jerr3d ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:58 PM

Very impressive!  

drewradley ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 7:01 PM

Thanks! I'm glad you all have enjoyed it.

Miss Nancy, it also was used to describe a series of assassinations by Hitler and the SS. I  googled the name to make sure it hadn't already been turned into a movie or anything and that was the first thing that popped up. Makes me wonder which one Fritz Leiber was referencing.

Now Playing
My Insomnia Presents
Blue Defender

jartz ( ) posted Fri, 03 September 2010 at 3:02 AM

There was once a movie called "The Damned" (1969) by Luschino Visconti, who did a midway re-enactment of the event you described. 

Pretty shocking.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus N50-600 - Intel Core i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz · Windows 10 Home/11 upgrade 64-bit · 16GB DDR4 RAM · 1TB SSD and 1TB HDD; Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 - 6GB GDDR5 VRAM; Software: Poser Pro 11x

drewradley ( ) posted Fri, 03 September 2010 at 4:15 PM

Quote - There was once a movie called "The Damned" (1969) by Luschino Visconti, who did a midway re-enactment of the event you described. 

Pretty shocking.

There's really nothing the Nazis did that isn't shocking. The Fritz Leiber book seems to only have used the name. The book itself is much more anti-war and violence, despite the name and associations with it. In fact the scene I animated is just mentioned and not in any great detail. The narrator simply mentions that this scene happened just before the book begins. I more or less wrote the scene based on a few sentences.

If anyone is interested, the book can be downloaded free and legal from Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/25024

Now Playing
My Insomnia Presents
Blue Defender

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.