Mon, Sep 23, 1:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 12:42 pm)

Subject: Smith Micro Competition for Poser

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2010 at 11:39 AM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 1:26 PM

Hope this isnt history but I recently found this.

http://poser.smithmicro.com/cgi-bin/pblosxom.cgi

p

Vestmann ( ) posted Mon, 23 August 2010 at 7:34 AM

I hadn't seen it.  It's always good to participate in challenges to get the juices flowing.  Thanks for the link.

Vestmann's Gallery

Teyon ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 2010 at 1:59 AM · edited Tue, 24 August 2010 at 2:00 AM

lol. Would you look at coop. lol. He really had a blast at comic con. :)

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 2010 at 9:38 AM

it doesn't say you have to use Poser characters.

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2010 at 9:19 PM

Thanks for the heads-up, SSailor. Which my artform was up to scratch: jeez, those artists are awesome!

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

KimberlyC ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2010 at 10:06 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Very cool..

Also, had to add

"8/23-8/29: Best Woman in a Temple with a Sword or Fairy Image"

I laughed to myself when reading this. :lol:

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 1:28 AM

Quote - Thanks for the heads up. Very cool..

Also, had to add

"8/23-8/29: Best Woman in a Temple with a Sword or Fairy Image"

I laughed to myself when reading this. :lol:

It's not just me, then. Wonder if those who put it together bit the tongues in their cheeks at some point... :biggrin:

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 3:32 AM

I'm going to enter the head render one that starts on August 30th.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Dynamo ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 6:33 AM

Good luck to all :) 
I love these community style projects!

Dave-So ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 11:38 AM

where do you see the entries.?

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

Paul Francis ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2010 at 8:28 AM · edited Mon, 30 August 2010 at 8:30 AM

Attached Link: http://blog.smithmicro.com/2010/08/20/poser-3d/lets-play-giveaway-who-wants-poser/

A bit more info here, such as which is the right text field to use on the submission form (I used the wrong one), and the fact that you can only submit one entry per theme (I submitted two), that postwork is allowed, and that the maximum size isn't in fact 800 pixels on the short edge....

Wish I'd seen this page earlier!

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 31 August 2010 at 1:23 PM

do they allow us to browse the images in the challenge?

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 31 August 2010 at 7:53 PM

Quote - A bit more info here, such as which is the right text field to use on the submission form (I used the wrong one), and the fact that you can only submit one entry per theme (I submitted two), that postwork is allowed, and that the maximum size isn't in fact 800 pixels on the short edge....

Wish I'd seen this page earlier!

The size is 800 pixels on the shortest side. I submitted an image 1024x768.  That's within guidelines.

It says so here:

Quote - Artwork Submission Specification(s):
Images must be JPEG/JPG format (or compressed into a .zip archive), 800 pixels on the shortest side, maximum 80MB file size. Animation formats accepted are SWF MOV MP3 MP4 WMV, minimum 320 pixels on shortest side, maximum 80MB file size (or they can be compressed into a .zip archive).

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 31 August 2010 at 7:54 PM

I'm all submitted!

Paul Francis ( ) posted Tue, 31 August 2010 at 11:52 PM

The size is 800 pixels on the shortest side. I submitted an image 1024x768.  That's within guidelines.  It says so here:

*> *Quote - Artwork Submission Specification(s):

Images must be JPEG/JPG format (or compressed into a .zip archive), 800 pixels on the shortest side, maximum 80MB file size. Animation formats accepted are SWF MOV MP3 MP4 WMV, minimum 320 pixels on shortest side, maximum 80MB file size (or they can be compressed into a .zip archive).*

I suggest that anyone submitting reads thePoser blog regarding image size

Smith Micro Blogger says: August 23, 2010 at 8:23 am

Postwork is allowed. Image sizes: 800 pixels is the minimum. As far as max size, you can upload a file up to 80 MB in a zip file. And it’s one image per person per theme. Happy posing!

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

Lzy724 ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 7:31 AM

Wish we could see all the entries...

Paul Francis ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2010 at 2:08 PM

Quote - Wish we could see all the entries...

There is now a link on the blog page over at Smith Micro which takes you to a Facebook gallery of the entries submitted so far.

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2010 at 8:38 PM

Quote -

The size is 800 pixels on the shortest side. I submitted an image 1024x768.  That's within guidelines.  It says so here:

*> *Quote - Artwork Submission Specification(s):

Images must be JPEG/JPG format (or compressed into a .zip archive), 800 pixels on the shortest side, maximum 80MB file size. Animation formats accepted are SWF MOV MP3 MP4 WMV, minimum 320 pixels on shortest side, maximum 80MB file size (or they can be compressed into a .zip archive).*

I suggest that anyone submitting reads thePoser blog regarding image size

Smith Micro Blogger says: August 23, 2010 at 8:23 am

Postwork is allowed. Image sizes: 800 pixels is the minimum. As far as max size, you can upload a file up to 80 MB in a zip file. And it’s one image per person per theme. Happy posing!

Grrrr!  Now I have to find a way to add pixels!!! :(  But I will!!!

Where are the images submitted? Someone said there is a link to the submissions. I don't see it.

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2010 at 10:52 PM

Well, I left a message on their blog asking if I can still enter with my newest image that is the correct size,  despite my blunders!  LOL

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2010 at 10:57 PM

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 03 September 2010 at 6:31 AM · edited Fri, 03 September 2010 at 6:34 AM

Very nice!  There are others in there much better than mine, but I decided to take a chance. I figure you can't win if you don't enter.  But if they base it mostly on lighting, I think I stand a chance!  So far as composition goes, there are much more imaginative images entered.

I resubmitted mine....again....so hopefully I got it right this time!  LOL

I ended up adding a frame to mine in order to increase pixel size. I hope they don't think it's too "cheesy".  I really didn't want a frame around it though. But I couldn't get it the height increased otherwise, at least not by as many pixels as I needed without it.

Lzy724 ( ) posted Fri, 03 September 2010 at 8:11 AM

I entered the fairy one, I am not very good with portrait type renders. :(

I like this one of Bettine www.facebook.com/photo.php

While I like the alien queen one, it was done in zbrush and the tentacles added in pw. So I am not real sure on that one. But thats my opinion.

Paul Francis ( ) posted Fri, 03 September 2010 at 8:17 AM

Paul Francis ( ) posted Fri, 03 September 2010 at 12:34 PM

Attached Link: http://blog.smithmicro.com/2010/09/01/poser-3d/poser-eye-candy-fairies-and-wintwas/

The winners have been chosen - they split it into two categories in the end and two people won.

Lzy724 ( ) posted Fri, 03 September 2010 at 3:17 PM

Congrats to the winners! :)

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 03 September 2010 at 5:09 PM · edited Fri, 03 September 2010 at 5:15 PM

They rejected my entry, even though the last one was within the size guidelines:

Quote - Thank you for submitting your artwork, entitled Zana. We really appreciate your work and your interest, but unfortunately, at this time, we have decided not to include this piece in our online and tradeshow marketing materials. Please do not be discouraged. We receive many excellent submissions, and due to the high volume, are unable to accept them all.

Since when is there a limit as to the number of people who can enter a contest?! It doesn't say anything about a maximum number of entries!!!

That's the last time I waste my time entering, or trying to enter one of their contests!!

nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 03 September 2010 at 5:51 PM

I don't think they rejected you from the competition, they just declined to use it in marketing material.

ISTR that the instructions said to specify on the submission that an image was for the competition, so as the form they linked is the same one they have people use to submitimages in general, they are probably just assessing all images using their standard process.

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 03 September 2010 at 5:54 PM

Quote - I don't think they rejected you from the competition, they just declined to use it in marketing material.

ISTR that the instructions said to specify on the submission that an image was for the competition, so as the form they linked is the same one they have people use to submitimages in general, they are probably just assessing all images using their standard process.

I did indicate that the entry was for this weeks faces contest.  There was no specific "comment field" to enter that, so I put it at the top of the programs comment space, and below that the program I used.

Lzy724 ( ) posted Fri, 03 September 2010 at 8:51 PM

well it seems to me the winners were picked well before they were announced.... not sure I will be entering again either.   Shame they did that Acadia... I bet it was a great entry. :)

Kalypso ( ) posted Fri, 03 September 2010 at 10:44 PM
Site Admin

Maybe it will still show up Acadia.   I wrote the note about the entry in the field Additional Credit,
Figures or Content Shown for the first week and from what I see it shows in their gallery.   My entry for the second week hasn't shown up yet so maybe they still haven't updated with all the entries.

quoting from Smith Micro contest rules ' we’re looking for the best use of Poser’s strengths. (Hint: lighting is key!) "   -  I can't believe Paul Francis didn't win . . .

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 04 September 2010 at 9:37 AM · edited Sat, 04 September 2010 at 9:38 AM

Quote - Maybe it will still show up Acadia.   I wrote the note about the entry in the field Additional Credit,
Figures or Content Shown for the first week and from what I see it shows in their gallery.   My entry for the second week hasn't shown up yet so maybe they still haven't updated with all the entries.

quoting from Smith Micro contest rules ' we’re looking for the best use of Poser’s strengths. (Hint: lighting is key!) "   -  I can't believe Paul Francis didn't win . . .

No, mine won't show up. The email said it was rejected.

I'm royally ticked.  I entered my Zana image

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1699301&user_id=127942&np&np

I'll never be entering one of their contests again, and I'll be sure to tell people of my experience when I see future contests announced!  What a rip off!!

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 04 September 2010 at 9:39 AM

Where is the announcement of the winners?

Kalypso ( ) posted Sat, 04 September 2010 at 9:44 AM
Site Admin

The blog says the deadline is tomorrow   *8/30-9/5:  Best “Faces of Poser” Portrait/Headshot Image

*I really think there must have been some misunderstanding, you should enter it again.  In the field where you list any other items used I just say it's an entry for the blog contest and then copy the above quote which gives date and theme.   They can't reject a contest entry due to too many submissions - that's preposterous and would probably render their contest void. 

Please try again Acadia and best of luck to you!

Kalypso ( ) posted Sat, 04 September 2010 at 9:51 AM
Site Admin

What I don't understand is if these are the entries:  http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=123244&id=106113697478

If so, then Tempesta 3D has entered like 10 images or something to that effect and so have several others.   If not, then why is titled the same as the contest?  I got an email that mine was accepted but it's not on there so maybe they were flooded by the multiple entries?
This has got to be one of the most confusing contests I've ever seen and I don't even want to think about the judging :)

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 04 September 2010 at 9:51 AM

Ok, I'll give it another go. I have to run out the door now though. So I'll resubmit it this afternoon and put the comment in the other box.

I'll likely not win, but I don't stand a chance unless I enter.

If I don't win, I'll probably buy Poser 8 because Poser 6 is rapidly becoming obsolete so far as beta test needs go.  Vendors shouldn't have to support every version of Poser :) except for perhaps the last 2, which is 7, 8 and pro

Paul Francis ( ) posted Sat, 04 September 2010 at 10:33 AM

Quote - What I don't understand is if these are the entries:  http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=123244&id=106113697478

If so, then Tempesta 3D has entered like 10 images or something to that effect and so have several others.   If not, then why is titled the same as the contest?  I got an email that mine was accepted but it's not on there so maybe they were flooded by the multiple entries?
This has got to be one of the most confusing contests I've ever seen and I don't even want to think about the judging :)

I think the "Faces of Poser" page which that link takes you to is a long-standing Facebook gallery of Poser images - for instance the one they use as the promo/box art for Poser Pro 2010 is in there - and they've titled it "Faces of Poser"; there is a note at the bottom which says it was last updated 10 months ago.  The fact that they've also titled the theme of this week's competition as "Faces of Poser" might be the source of the confusion.  I don't think they've posted the entries for the second week yet, like they did with the first week's.  I'm probably wrong though, I usually am....! 

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 04 September 2010 at 2:41 PM

Ok, I resubmitted my image again!  So help me if I get another email declining it as a contest entry for the reasons given in their original email to me, I'm going to send their corporate office a letter next week.

Kalypso ( ) posted Sat, 04 September 2010 at 9:14 PM
Site Admin

Good luck Acadia!  Keep us posted.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 06 September 2010 at 4:41 PM

BionicRooster ( ) posted Tue, 07 September 2010 at 12:53 PM
Forum Moderator

There's no way I could compete in the 1st 2 themes... Hopefully I may have a slim a chance in the Most Unique category...

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

efstarlet ( ) posted Tue, 07 September 2010 at 3:45 PM

Acadia - There must be some confusion - We got your week #2 entry multiple times, so it is possible you received a rejection notice for one of the duplicates, but I clearly saw your entry in the pool to be judged for this week, so please don't worry.  Did you not also receive a notice that your image was accepted?  I see that it has been approved 3 different times:

Date Submitted: 08-31-2010
Approved By: on Fri Sep 3 09:36:17 2010

Date Submitted: 09-02-2010
Approved By: on Fri Sep 3 09:35:28 2010

Date Submitted: 09-04-2010
Approved By: on Tue Sep 7 10:41:18 2010

We only announced the winners for the Week 1 contest, and it appears you have entered week 2, which only closed on Sunday and hasn't been judged/announced yet.  There are 5 weeks of contests with different themes. 

***This is the type of thing where it's good to ask a question on the blog itself, rather than wondering over here, as our blogger does not read the forums.

Are you a Poser fan?  Show us on Facebook!

efstarlet ( ) posted Tue, 07 September 2010 at 3:48 PM

Quote - > Quote - What I don't understand is if these are the entries:  http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=123244&id=106113697478

I think the "Faces of Poser" page which that link takes you to is a long-standing Facebook gallery of Poser images - for instance the one they use as the promo/box art for Poser Pro 2010 is in there - and they've titled it "Faces of Poser"; there is a note at the bottom which says it was last updated 10 months ago.  The fact that they've also titled the theme of this week's competition as "Faces of Poser" might be the source of the confusion.  I don't think they've posted the entries for the second week yet, like they did with the first week's.  I'm probably wrong though, I usually am....! 

Correct - We have been collecting "Faces of Poser" for quite some time, and the Facebook gallery is unrelated to the current blog contest, as you can see by the very old upload dates - you can see these same images on deviantART here:  http://smithmicro.deviantart.com/gallery/#Faces-of-Poser.  We have not posted the entries for the current week contest, and will not do so each week until the contest closes and the winner is announced.

We also collect our favorite DA faces of Poser that have not been submitted as gallery images here, in case you want to browse more awesome art: http://smithmicro.deviantart.com/favourites/#Faces-of-Poser

Are you a Poser fan?  Show us on Facebook!

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 07 September 2010 at 5:22 PM · edited Tue, 07 September 2010 at 5:23 PM

Quote - Acadia - There must be some confusion - We got your week #2 entry multiple times, so it is possible you received a rejection notice for one of the duplicates, but I clearly saw your entry in the pool to be judged for this week, so please don't worry.  Did you not also receive a notice that your image was accepted?  I see that it has been approved 3 different times:

Date Submitted: 08-31-2010
Approved By: on Fri Sep 3 09:36:17 2010

Date Submitted: 09-02-2010
Approved By: on Fri Sep 3 09:35:28 2010

Date Submitted: 09-04-2010
Approved By: on Tue Sep 7 10:41:18 2010

We only announced the winners for the Week 1 contest, and it appears you have entered week 2, which only closed on Sunday and hasn't been judged/announced yet.  There are 5 weeks of contests with different themes. 

***This is the type of thing where it's good to ask a question on the blog itself, rather than wondering over here, as our blogger does not read the forums.

I was really confused!!! LOL

My entry is there now.  So all is good!  Sorry for having spammed you! :)

I did ask over at the blog, but no one answered, and then it appeared as though it was locked and I didn't see a way to enter another question after I got the rejection email.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 07 September 2010 at 5:24 PM · edited Tue, 07 September 2010 at 5:26 PM

Here are the entries for last week faces contest

http://www.facebook.com/Poser3DFigures#!/album.php?aid=203245&id=106113697478&ref=mf

Some really excellent entries!!!  This one is my favourite!!!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5067122&id=106113697478&ref=fbx_album

BionicRooster ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2010 at 1:44 PM
Forum Moderator

Attached Link: Week 2 Winners

And here's the latest winners!

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2010 at 5:41 PM

Quote - And here's the latest winners!

Congrats to the winners!  Interesting choices given the huge hint was "lighting". One is a good example of light and reflection. The other one just falls flat to me, so far as lighting goes.

BionicRooster ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2010 at 7:01 PM
Forum Moderator

I got brave and entered an image for the Most Unique category. I had to resubmit it because I didn't specify it was for the contest.

I hope they got my entry okay. I was pretty happy with the results.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2010 at 10:04 PM

Quote - I got brave and entered an image for the Most Unique category. I had to resubmit it because I didn't specify it was for the contest.

I hope they got my entry okay. I was pretty happy with the results.

Good luck!!!

BionicRooster ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2010 at 11:23 PM
Forum Moderator

I have a question tho. How long should I wait until i put my entry up in my gallery? When the entry time ends or after the winners are announced or when?

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.