Sat, Aug 3, 8:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 03 7:14 am)

Subject: Still necessary to install V4 in the Poser Runtime? Why?

Singular3D ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2010 at 4:27 PM · edited Sat, 03 August 2024 at 6:40 AM

I installed Poser Pro 2010 on my main drive, but told Poser to put the Runtime on my data drive. Now I wanted to install V4, but the installer requests to install V4 to the Poser directory.

Is this just an installer issue, or will V4 not work correctly if installed to a different location? What is the reason for that?

Thanks in advance!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2010 at 4:36 PM

I have always had V4 and her stuff in a separate V4-only runtime. No problems.

Lie to the installer. Make an external runtime. Place an empty file called poser.exe in it. Point the installer there.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Singular3D ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2010 at 4:44 PM

Thanks for the fast reply. Made a fresh install on my new PC with Win7 64bit and wanted to set up everything the right way. No data on my main drive.

jestmart ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2010 at 10:10 PM

You don't need to use a fake Poser.exe File.  Choose the DAZ Studio install option, it doesn't change what is installed it just bypasses the Poser.exe search and allow you point the install where you want.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Thu, 09 September 2010 at 3:10 AM

Doesn't choosing Daz Studio also install the version of the content for that as well?

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 09 September 2010 at 4:51 AM

Yes. Both ways will work but the second way will deposit files you don't need.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

jestmart ( ) posted Thu, 09 September 2010 at 12:48 PM

No it doesn't install files you don't need because they aren't in that installer.  DAZ Studio files are offered in a separate installer for Studio user, if the item has them at all.

FrankT ( ) posted Thu, 09 September 2010 at 1:27 PM

Quote - No it doesn't install files you don't need because they aren't in that installer.  DAZ Studio files are offered in a separate installer for Studio user, if the item has them at all.

That's not entirely true - a number of products come with the .ds files included. I just had to delete about 2Gb worth that were cluttering up my runtimes

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 09 September 2010 at 3:31 PM

Agree with FrankT.  DAZ is getting away from including separate DAZ installers to conserve on file size.  This is more prominent with their notable detailed products.

estherau ( ) posted Thu, 09 September 2010 at 9:49 PM · edited Thu, 09 September 2010 at 9:50 PM

I keep all the DS stuff too.  If they ever make a 64 bit mac version and a better interface, some better tooning software, a mac cloth room, and not stupidly long saving times for very large files, I might actually use it one day as part of my 3d arsenal.  Poser doesn't import too well into latest vue version but vue and DS boast that they work together.
Love esther
ps my V4 and M4 etc are all in separate external runtimes. I think I did put a copy of the iDAZ folder into the libraries folder of the main poser application though.
I probably didn't need to copy the idaz folder but my V4 was not responding quickly enough.

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.