Tue, Oct 1, 9:41 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 28 10:18 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: a petition once again for an IGNORE USER function.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 6:29 AM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 9:41 PM

Dear Renderosity.

can we please have an ignore user function or can you deal with the 'skirt trolls' that stay just with in the rules?

I can name several "users" (and I use the word with distaste) that just want to cause problems, but since they stay just within the rules, the mods and admins do nothing as bound by the rules.

so give us the ignore function (which has been requested so many times by so many users it's now a running joke) and let us be free of these "users".

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 9:42 AM

I second that emotion.

Laurie

AnnieD ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 12:52 PM

Me too...me too!!  or three as the case may be...lol

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 1:03 PM · edited Sat, 28 August 2010 at 1:04 PM

I look at it this way - I may be the one who is on the ignore list, but I'm perfectly ok with that! LMAO

Laurie

FrankT ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 2:08 PM

thirded (or fourthed)

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 2:32 PM

why not just ignore 'em without a button?  youse guys know that, after 10 yrs., they aren't
likely to do it.  "ignore" is more for chat rooms, when pervs are buggin people IMVHO.
"ignore" is more for dumpsites with cliques, like this place might become if they allow
the cliques to start up again.  e.g. I don't interfere with the luxrender threads because I
dunno anything about luxrender, but I don't ask that they be moved to some luxrender forum.
let anyone who wants to post anything in their poser forum do so, within their TOS.
the idea is to encourage the mental stimulation that they may derive from these exercises.

best solution if users are buggin - open up one's own site where one can be in charge of something,
then exclude the "ignorees" who are causing all this tribulation.  this has been done with some
success by several prominent users.

I'll vote for "ignore button" if they add a CSS rule to allow flash animations in forum threads.
it can be done now, but is not thread-specific AFAICT.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 2:39 PM · edited Sat, 28 August 2010 at 2:47 PM

Quote - ...they aren't
likely to do it.  "ignore" is more for chat rooms, when pervs are buggin people IMVHO.
"ignore" is more for dumpsites with cliques, like this place might become if they allow
the cliques to start up again...

Wrong. Every other forum that I visit has this feature. It's built into php forums. It's not a new idea.

I'm sorry, but even though cliques may develop, I feel that most people would only use this feature to eliminate only those that really bother them. I don't think anyone wants this in order to make their own little juvenile groupie centers. They want to contain the snarkiness and the general bitchiness that exists in these forums because they currently can't help but see those who irritate them over and over and over again. It's a fact of life that you can't possibly like everyone. And if you visit often, like a lot of us do, you can't get away from those you don't like, even when you try to ignore them yourself. An ignore button would make the mods lives much easier as well. After all, their job is not only unpaid, it's totally thankless. And it's not like we make things easy on them ;o).

Speaking personally, of all the times I've lost my temper, there are less than I can count on one hand that I would actually ignore.

Laurie

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 4:24 PM

lets see

Daz has ignore.
Runtime DNA has ignore.
it's a standard part of Vbulltein and PHPBB

it's not just 'chat rooms' - for a system that prides itself as a modern system for ecommerce etc NOT having it is kind of shocking.

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 7:17 PM

Facebook goes one better than Ignore. They have BLOCK which means even when people comment on the people you block you don't see it even if the commentators are your friends.

I'm just sayin'.....

My Freebies

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 9:41 PM

I'll bring the suggestion up to fellow admins again.

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 10:07 AM

I think it's a good idea to have an ignore post/user button. I also think that it would be a good idea to have a "report post" button.  It might cut down on some of the squabbling.

For me, I like and get along with everyone in the Poser forum, so I wouldn't use an ignore feature. However, on the other hand, there might be some that find my posts annoying and may want to ignore me.   So I do think it's a good idea. 

However, one thing that should be noted about "ignore" is that based one experience from other forums, despite ignoring someone, if someone else quotes that person's post, you will still see it.

I post on a few other forums (not art related) and I must admit that there are a few people that really rub me the wrong way.  I just simply take note of their name and/or avatar and anytime I see a post that they've made in a thread that I'm in, I will quickly skim it and just move on and don't bother replying to their post.

I found that if you are being trolled by a fellow member, that if you just stop replying to their posts that they get tired and move on because by you not replying, they aren't able to push your buttons and it takes all of the fun out of them trolling you.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Medzinatar ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 2:13 PM

Just one more in favor of this feature!

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 3:54 PM

if they implement it, they'll likely do it so retorts to the ignoree are not blocked (as ment. above),
leading to some confusion about who is insulting/responding to whom.  at least that's the way
it may have worked in other lesser-known forums.  but I'll vote for it.  the thing I really need
is to block avatars/sigfiles.  it's easy to not read somebody's post, but it's hard to ignore a flashing
swf sigfile, e.g.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 4:11 PM

Quote - if they implement it, they'll likely do it so retorts to the ignoree are not blocked (as ment. above),
leading to some confusion about who is insulting/responding to whom.  at least that's the way
it may have worked in other lesser-known forums.  but I'll vote for it.  the thing I really need
is to block avatars/sigfiles.  it's easy to not read somebody's post, but it's hard to ignore a flashing
swf sigfile, e.g.

You can already do that...it's under forum options.

Laurie

jonnybode ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 11:25 PM
Online Now!

Qoute:
if they implement it, they'll likely do it so retorts to the ignoree are not blocked (as ment. above),
leading to some confusion about who is insulting/responding to whom
:end quote

Well said, surely there is enough confusion in this forums anyway.

Me personaly like to read all posts, I have found that even the most irritating people have something useful to say from time to time.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 11:35 PM · edited Sun, 29 August 2010 at 11:35 PM

Quote - Qoute:
leading to some confusion about who is insulting/responding to whom
:end quote

Well said, surely there is enough confusion in this forums anyway.

Me personaly like to read all posts, I have found that even the most irritating people have something useful to say from time to time.

then you're just one of the persons who would not take advantage of the ignore feature. But it would be your choice and not one that's been made for you ;o).

To the admins:
We have a friends function, why not ignore? We have an option not to see someone's signature and someone's avatar - why not ignore?? We can tell everyone in the universe we like something on Facebook, MySpace, etc. - why not ignore? And we can block nudity and language if we don't wanna see it, but we can't block another annoying member. Forgive me, but that doesn't even make sense.

Laurie

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2010 at 12:37 AM

Quote -
However, one thing that should be noted about "ignore" is that based one experience from other forums, despite ignoring someone, if someone else quotes that person's post, you will still see it.

Well that's the good thing about Rendo's current "Quote" feature. It doesn't preserve the users name in the "Quote" so if someone quotes an ignored user you really won't know who the Jack Wagon is that's being quoted unless you ask. 😉

My Freebies

ladiesmen ( ) posted Tue, 31 August 2010 at 6:10 AM

Ignore is a good function used on many sites and would be good to implement also on Rendo. However it does not solve problem of some members attitude just obscures it.

You can also reach me on skype.com to talk name ladiesmen22

People dont care what you know, until they know you care

Use Quad core with 8G memory & ATI 5770
Poser Pro 7 & Poser 8 Sr3
Daz 3.2 adv 64 bit

AnnieD ( ) posted Tue, 31 August 2010 at 11:57 AM

Quote - Ignore is a good function used on many sites and would be good to implement also on Rendo. However it does not solve problem of some members attitude just obscures it.

Well, since its not up to us to change anyone...the best we can do is implement self defense measures to do what we can to protect ourselves.  Ignore User button would be a good start.

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

Silke ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 5:19 AM

Yes please.
Count me in for the feature. :)

Silke

Tessalynne ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 7:50 PM

Since I am already here trying to sort out something else, I'll add my voice to support this feature, with it I might actually use the forums here more often, because logging out is usually easier than prolonged biting of ones tongue. 

As for the creation of cliques, all forums have cliques, including this one and it doesn't seem to have any relationship to the ability to ignore a user existing on the site.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sun, 05 September 2010 at 2:53 PM

another week... another set of users that I'd rather never see again, let alone their posts.

AnnieD ( ) posted Sun, 05 September 2010 at 6:48 PM

I've forgotten how many weeks its been since they were going to look into adding readme links to the freestuff....   :unsure:

[Stuart Chase]

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Mon, 06 September 2010 at 3:45 PM

I know Annie..:sad: I'll bring it up again tho ;)

~Jani

AnnieD ( ) posted Mon, 06 September 2010 at 10:02 PM

Thank you! I know yu are doing your best.   :biggrin:

[Stuart Chase]

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2010 at 5:15 PM

give 'em a few more weeks.  maybe there'll be some extra funds in the next budget to pay nic to
add it.

Puntomaus ( ) posted Sat, 11 September 2010 at 10:24 AM

I'd vote for  a Report this post button too and I would like to see it added to the galleries as well.

Every organisation rests upon a mountain of secrets ~ Julian Assange

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2010 at 6:19 AM

There is already a 'report image' link in the galleries 😉

~Jani

Puntomaus ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2010 at 6:40 AM

Ok, I specify my request: a report comment button.

Every organisation rests upon a mountain of secrets ~ Julian Assange

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2010 at 2:05 PM

Ohhhhhh...duh Jani!   slaps forehead

Sorry Punt,  was having a moment LOL

~Jani

wblack ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2010 at 2:48 PM

**@ Kaibach

Your intent seems to be a means of dealing with "trolls" ...

I question the validity of trolling as a concept – my thesis is that no such thing exists.  The allegation of “trolling” contains the allegation that there is either an insincere interest in the topic, or a hidden agenda on the part of the individual accused.

Both speak to motivation – which is something that the individual making such a charge cannot know with any measurable degree of certainty.

On-line chat-rooms and forums have caused people to lose perspective: In the real world  you can know a man your entire life, you can share triumphs and sorrows, victory and defeat, accomplishment and failure – and you still may know fully know the inner-workings of this man's mind with any degree of certainty.

Your possibility of knowing such certainty falls off a million fold if you only communicate with this individual on-line.

Your mind is not physically connected to any other mind – you are reading a pattern of pixels on a monitor screen. You do not and cannot know with certainty the content of another mind through this medium.

You certainly cannot speak to motivations.

It appears to me that those who level the charge of “trolling” do so out of convenience: They do not want to face disagreement; they do not want to face criticism; they do not what to face having no answer when their ideas are questioned … all of these things have to do with ego and the perceived “loss of face” they believe to be involved, and so they rely on this meaningless charge.

Trolling appears to be one of those slippery concepts that is used to define too many things – but I find that a concept that can mean anything actually means nothing.

What most people refer to as trolling seems to fall into other categories which are both conceptually valid and more clearly encapsulate the reality of what content is involved in the comment or post.

Things often identified as “trolling:”

1. Posts by someone who holds a differing opinion which questions your position.

This is not trolling because communication is the exchange of ideas. An idea may be valid or not, it may be cut loose from reality in many ways, and questioning the one proposing the idea is one way to determine how well it is constructed, is the idea rational, is the logic sound, can the idea be verifiably tested …?

Social networking sites have fallen into the pit of eternal lameness by holding the value of “polite agreement” over knowledgeable discourse. How meaningful is it that twenty “on-line ghosts “agree with you if they have applied no standards of discrimination …? Is it meaningful to agree with something that is irrational or meaningless?

Ideas are not sacrosanct. People are often personally invested in their ideas; however dissection of the validity of an idea is not the same thing as an attack on an individual.

[I say this last with full appreciation that very few people today appear to know how to debate the validity or merit of ideas without resorting to an attack on the person – this is a failing of education leading to a regrettable lack of personal character.]

1. Constructive criticism.

This is not trolling because as the creator of a work one can become lost in the process and simply “not see” flaws which actually render your work less effective than it could be.

It is often hard to face constructive criticism, and having worked over the span of my professional career in the printing and publishing industry where one’s ideas are put to the test in a rigorous way I still at times find this hard – however I have never lost anything by consideration of a constructive criticism, and my work has often been greatly improved by heeding constructive criticism.

1. Personal attacks aimed directly at your person.

You might call these trolling – however it is more clear to identify them for what they are, a personal attack.

So no, I see no utility in an ignore button – it only enables people who perhaps need to mature, and learning to deal with the fact that you will never agree with everyone, and others will persistently use their own minds and disagree with you is part of becoming mature as an individual.

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2010 at 3:07 PM · edited Tue, 21 September 2010 at 3:08 PM

I'd rather just have the ignore button. I don't want to understand someone else's mind nor share their sorrows. If I don't like them or if they push my buttons, I just want to turn them off. Problem (so very easily and effortlessly) solved.

Laurie

wblack ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2010 at 3:10 PM

@ LaurieA

You completely missed my point -- I did not suggest you should "understand" them.

I stated that in fact that you cannot know their motivation -- this is why the "trolling charge" is meaningless.

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2010 at 3:21 PM

Well since the lofty notion of "why can't we all just get along?" has never been realized in the history of mankind, and given that no one can like everyone and that most of us come here for information for the most part, I'd much rather be able to not see someone who jerks my chain. I can do it at every other forum on the internet. Except here. And asking Poser forumites to all play nicely in the sandbox is rather like herding cats, so I don't see the need for the ignore function changing any time soon...

Laurie

wblack ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2010 at 4:02 PM

@ LaurieA,

The first question I have is if you only come here for information, why do you care about posts by individuals who disagree with you/or who you disagree with?

Would absolute uncritical agreement improve the value of the information you seek? Really? Why do you think this?

Most social-networking sites suffer the death of lameness expressly because they enable such "reality-filtering." This filtering by definition degrades the value of any information offered.

Humans will never all "just get along." Do you think they should? Why would this be a good thing?

Asking people to all "play nicely" is asking them to not communicate honestly. Why would this be a good thing? Do you think dishonest communication would = better information? Why would this be true?

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2010 at 4:23 PM · edited Tue, 21 September 2010 at 4:23 PM

and why are you arguing?... You won't convince me we don't need one any more than I'll convince you (apparently) that we do. BTW, I notice you don't post much. I do. Therefore I'm more exposed to some than you might be. Enough said.

Laurie

scanmead ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2010 at 4:51 PM

I think we're veering off the point here. It's not a question of agreeing or getting along, it's a question of some people being one step (maybe a half) above a troll, and just squeaking by not getting TOS'ed. Just seeing the name raises blood pressures across the board.

The choices are... try to not read a word of what they post (hard to do), complain enough and try to get them booted out of here, or hit an 'ignore' button and never have to see the wall of incendiary text they routinely post. The last is actually the easiest and most benign choice.

If there were one idea, one word posted by such a person, that was meant to do anything but be argumentative or inflammatory, we wouldn't be discussing this. Nor do I think this is a person who is likely to mature or change his combative style.  At least I've not seen any indication of this in the years I've been here.

nruddock ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2010 at 6:14 PM

Quote - I question the validity of trolling as a concept – my thesis is that no such thing exists.

They exist.**

**> Quote - The allegation of “trolling” contains the allegation that there is either an insincere interest in the topic, or a hidden agenda on the part of the individual accused.

The FAQ says that there is much more invloved -> http://captaininfinity.us/rightloop/alttrollFAQ.htm, see also -> http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/94308-anti-troll-faq-what-troll-etc.html

Quote - Both speak to motivation – which is something that the individual making such a charge cannot know with any measurable degree of certainty.

I'd agree with that for some drive-by trolls, but some trollings are obvious.**

**> Quote - You certainly cannot speak to motivations.

Speculation is easy, and "calling" a poster on their intent is often sufficient to deter a troll from further posting.**

**> Quote - So no, I see no utility in an ignore button – it only enables people who perhaps need to mature, and learning to deal with the fact that you will never agree with everyone, and others will persistently use their own minds and disagree with you is part of becoming mature as an individual.

If they implement one you can always ignore it 😉

plonk

AnnieD ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2010 at 7:50 PM

Quote - So no, I see no utility in an ignore button – it only enables people who perhaps need to mature, and learning to deal with the fact that you will never agree with everyone, and others will persistently use their own minds and disagree with you is part of becoming mature as an individual.

> Quote - If they implement one you can always ignore it 😉

plonk

lmao!!

[Stuart Chase]

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2010 at 10:36 PM

well anyway, I would mention that, whilst y'all haven't actually said who the troll(s) are,
this is the third time I've voted for the "ignore button".  that's gotta count for something.
unless I'm one of the trolls and they're already ignoring me with the "admin only" beta
version of the "ignore button".   :lol:

nruddock ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 2010 at 2:01 AM

Quote - ... and they're already ignoring me with the "admin only" beta
version of the "ignore button".   :lol:

Can't be that unless they've done it wrong, as mods/admins shouldn't be able to ignore people (the flipside being you shouldn't be able to ignore mods/admins).

wblack ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 2010 at 9:14 AM

@ LaurieA,

Ah, the No true Scotsman fallacy: “I see you do not post very much therefore …”

As a wise man once said "...neither the absurd nor the fallacious require a response."

Are question’s really “arguing” to your mind? How curious. What are those public schools doing to young minds?

Yet you come here seeking knowledge: a paradox --for surely the means of attaining knowledge is to question.

So, is the question an uncertainty, and the answer a certainty? 

No LaurieA: to question is not to antagonize – it is only your thinking that makes it seem so.

Perhaps your evident discomfort at being questioned is revealing of the reason you feel the need for the protection of an ignore button.

Perhaps ...

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 2010 at 9:22 AM

Or perhaps I don't like preaching ;o).

Perhaps.

Laurie

wblack ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 2010 at 10:05 AM

@ scanmead 

What you and others in this thread are struggling with is a fallout of a philosophical rift identified more than 2000 years ago by Aristotle, this is “The Problem of the One and the Many …”

Because the consciousness of men permits each man to weigh the perceptions of his senses and apply individual proofs of reason to the nature of existence – men disagree. Some men appear as strange and alien to other men because the nature of their consciousness is so different.

Yet all are men: The one and the many.

In this particular case the problem manifests as the quest to deal with this elusive demon: “the troll.”

Your position that disagreement is evidence of intent to sow discord -- well, for one this is circular, but that is beside the point: People think what they think, and generally for the reasons stated. No evil intent required.

You have confused effect with cause.

The fact of cause is: People think what they think.

The fact of effect, for you is: “blood pressures rising across the board,” an internal emotional response within individuals. 

Your emotions are inside of you – not external to you. The effect is inside of you … not inside of them. 

So, I assert that the “troll” is not a real problem – the troll is an emotional demon inside of you

No button required.  

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 2010 at 10:13 AM · edited Wed, 22 September 2010 at 10:16 AM

OMG...are you for real? Drop the pretentious bit please...

It all boils down to this:

We all like coming here, but for the things we don't like. If having an ignore button calms some of the egos in the place (including mine) and we can all have a much more satisfying experience, them I'm all for it. It eases things for the mods and it makes life generally more peaceful here in the forums. If having an ignore button offends some then they can do as nruddock suggests and ignore the ignore function. I come here for my own reasons (and they are no one's business but mine).

@wblack: if you can't comprehend that all ppl don't think like you, then I feel for you.

Laurie

wblack ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 2010 at 10:23 AM

@ LaurieA,

Touché

But be gentle: those who grant the license to preach would never allow me in their fraternity ... it is my application of reason rather than faith that they would find offensive ...

Alas ... another calling missed.

wblack ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 2010 at 10:34 AM

@ LaurieA,

Pretentious … I see and your hard evidence consists of what?

Could I offer you a course in logical fallacies? You seem to employ them often.

That last bit is where you nailed it: I do comprehend that all people do not think alike -- that is precisely my point..

The difference is that I accept that it is so. No buttons required.

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 22 September 2010 at 10:40 AM

Okay we got the suggestion down for the ignore button and I don't see this discussion going anywhere good now.

Locking

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.