Mon, Sep 23, 3:20 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 2:16 pm)

Subject: OT: 64-bit, Windows 7, and Bumping Up the RAM

mathman ( ) posted Sat, 25 September 2010 at 1:19 AM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 3:17 PM

Hi all,

I have just promoted my laptop to 64-bit, and it currently has 4GB of RAM. I have ascertained by checking the manual for my particular Compaq laptop that it can accommodate as much as 8GB of RAM.

So, naturally enough, I want to bump this up but was wondering if it is worthwhile. Will it improve performance ? ... not only for Poser, but in general.

Your comments and feedback, please.

regards,
Andrew

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 25 September 2010 at 2:04 AM

I have 8 Gig in my desktop which is essential for using Vue to it's full capacity. I don't think you'll get much benefit with Poser though will you?? It's not a "full" 64 bit app like Vue is as far as I know.
Maybe a poser user can give a better answer regarding Poser itself.

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

mathman ( ) posted Sat, 25 September 2010 at 2:12 AM

Thanks, thefixer. As I said, I'm not seeking an answer just for Poser. I have Vue as well, so it sounds from what you say that it will be beneficial to the performance there.

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 25 September 2010 at 2:22 AM

No question, Vue is and always has been a resource hog, the more RAM you can give it the better it will be for you.. saves on the frutration factor. ;-)

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

ypvs ( ) posted Sat, 25 September 2010 at 3:37 AM

One way to tell is to monitor Hard Disk activity. If the computer is having to page data to/from the virtual memory on HD then more RAM will help. Don't confuse VM activity with loading the app/modules/textures

Poser 11 , 180Gb in 8 Runtimes, PaintShop Pro 9
Windows 7 64 bit, Avast AV, Comodo Firewall
Intel Q9550 Quad Core cpu,  16Gb RAM, 250Gb + 250Gb +160Gb HD, GeForce GTX 1060

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Sat, 25 September 2010 at 3:46 AM

Quote - One way to tell is to monitor Hard Disk activity. If the computer is having to page data to/from the virtual memory on HD then more RAM will help. Don't confuse VM activity with loading the app/modules/textures

Very interesting as my hard drive is going like a train when rendering(i have 3 gig of ram,so thanks for that

p

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sat, 25 September 2010 at 4:36 AM · edited Sat, 25 September 2010 at 4:45 AM

If you have P5-P8, your version of Poser is limited to a 32bit memory allocation;  it will run on a 64bit system, but it will still be limited to using 2Gb.

If you have Poser Pro, the render engine will be able to use the extra memory, and that will allow more difficult renders to be accomplished, without resorting to using the HD. 

If you have Poser Pro 2010, the entire app will run in 64bit.

I'll second thefixer regarding Vue;  more RAM will not only expand your ability to render, but will also enable Vue to display a better preview of the scene, will aids greatly during setup.

The extra memory will be very much worth getting.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.