Thu, Sep 19, 11:39 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Yay! My first hair!

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 11:44 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 11:38 PM

file_459784.jpg

...well, almost ;o). I'm about the enter the frustrating tweaking stage and then on to the maddening morphing stage...hehe.

What I need to know is, does anyone know of any good tutes on making the hair transmaps? After all the years I've been texturing, I still suck at those...lol. I looked in the the tutorials section of the site and all I can seem to find is how to paint the hair on the figure post-render. That's not what I need. I need to know how to make a good transmap.

Please help. If the hair turns out it will be free ;o). I can't promise I won't trash it though since I'm so anal about everything, including freebies...lol.

Laurie

David.J.Harmon ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 11:45 AM

good going, like it

David J Harmon
davidjharmon.com

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 12:04 PM

That looks good, Laurie.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 12:08 PM

It'll look better with a decent transmap ;o). I can't find a thing on how to make a good one...

Laurie

ShaaraMuse3D ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 1:20 PM

Looks really cute!

I haven't made any (not completed any, have tried tons) hairs yet, but from what I've noticed, hair textures and transmaps do really well in high resolution, to give you more strands to work with. :)

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 1:35 PM

Quote -  Looks really cute!

I haven't made any (not completed any, have tried tons) hairs yet, but from what I've noticed, hair textures and transmaps do really well in high resolution, to give you more strands to work with. :)

Well, I normally start large with everything and then shrink, but that won't help me much with a transmap I don't think :o(

I guess I'm gonna have to wing this...

Laurie

ShaaraMuse3D ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 1:37 PM

I would check some commercial hairs that you've got, and check the texture maps and what they look like. It helps.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 3:02 PM

The great, now invisible Kozaburo wrote a hair transmap tutorial some time back,which I "translated" into readable English - his version was a bit whimsical. (Wonder where I put that? 😕)
Anyway, here's the link to the original.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 3:18 PM

Quote - The great, now invisible Kozaburo wrote a hair transmap tutorial some time back,which I "translated" into readable English - his version was a bit whimsical. (Wonder where I put that? 😕)
Anyway, here's the link to the original.

Thanks ma'am :o)

Laurie

Irish ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 3:27 PM

Attached Link: Varga Hair Tutorial

Excellent looking hair Laurie!!  Have you taken a look at this tutorial - maybe tht will help on the transmap thingee :)

:)

whipporwill ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 5:16 PM

oh my that is such cute hair!! definitely a keeper I think :)

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 6:22 PM

Quote - Excellent looking hair Laurie!!  Have you taken a look at this tutorial - maybe tht will help on the transmap thingee :)

Thanks Irish. I'll be checking that one out! (and bookmarked)

:o)

Laurie

jerr3d ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 6:39 PM

Your hair model looks very good, nice modeling.  My first, and last, hair model i made anime style so no texture map needed lol :p

infinity10 ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 2:03 AM

Eternal Hobbyist

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 4:18 AM

BTW, I was so intent on helping, I forgot to say: excellent modelling, Laurie!! I'm so impressed: you undertake and achieve some of the hardest modelling in Poserdom. Dynamic clothing, and now hair... wow! Elegantly done... 😄

Metaphor of Chooks

EnglishBob ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 7:00 AM

Attached Link: http://natukin.hp.infoseek.co.jp/kami.html

You may want to try out Natukin's Kami hair texture maker, at least to give you a start. It's in Japanese but you can operate it by the good old "press a button and see what happens" method quite successfully. It does make transmaps as well as textures.

And, yay indeed. The hair looks good. :-) 

lmckenzie ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 8:33 AM

Very impressive! A lot of hair has started looking the same to me but this one has some unique, whimsical flair. I especially like the curved parts on the sides. The only thing I find a tiny bit odd is the little parts sticking out just above the tips of her ears, but it's hard to tell from only the front view. Great work and I'm sure your transmap will make it even better. It really fits the figure/character (who is?). 

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 9:39 AM · edited Thu, 30 September 2010 at 9:41 AM

Quote - ...It really fits the figure/character (who is?). 

Mavka by smay in the MP. And you'll have to forgive the oddities ;o) - not only is it my first hair, it's the first time I've ever used Hexagon (have had it for over a year and never learned to use it....lol). For the most part I'm a Wings3D user, but it's limited with some things.

Laurie

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 1:01 PM

I like that!!

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 3:10 PM · edited Thu, 30 September 2010 at 3:11 PM

file_459840.jpg

I think I'm nearly there ;o) Maybe some more tweaking in the front....

The back will have a bow, provided I can make one...lol.

Laurie

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 7:59 PM

Wow, that is elegant work, Laurie! Can't wait to see the transmapped version. 😄

Metaphor of Chooks

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 8:08 PM · edited Thu, 30 September 2010 at 8:08 PM

Quote - Wow, that is elegant work, Laurie! Can't wait to see the transmapped version. 😄

Thank Valea....her/his tute helped a lot as far as the modeling goes....lolol. Obviously I'm not nearly as refined as Valea...hehe.

Laurie

whipporwill ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 8:44 PM

beautiful work laurie, this is such an absolutely gorgeous hairstyle - I hope to see more!

KimberlyC ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2010 at 12:17 AM

wow looks great laurie! :)

lmckenzie ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2010 at 5:46 AM

That really does look outstanding! Even without transmaps it would be great for toonish stuff. 

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Irish ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2010 at 6:23 AM

Laurie, this is excellent!  Glad you found the Valea tutorial helpful.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2010 at 6:44 AM

Quote - > Quote - Wow, that is elegant work, Laurie! Can't wait to see the transmapped version. 😄

Thank Valea....her/his tute helped a lot as far as the modeling goes....lolol. Obviously I'm not nearly as refined as Valea...hehe.

Laurie

You have a distinctly LaurieA style... this is a good thing.

Regarding the Kozaburo tute: once you sort-of get your head around his instructions in terms of how he went about doing the transmaps, the fact that - to me - really stuck out (and gave me pause) was that the really awesome bits, that which made his hair as incredible as it is, was his final drawing. Those bits that really show, he drew. I'm pretty sure he's a really good artist, our Kozaburo Takahashi.

Is that the impression you got? Open to corrected views, here... 😄

Metaphor of Chooks

LilWolff ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2010 at 9:47 AM

Laurie that looks fantastic! You go girl! hugz

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2010 at 10:12 AM

Quote - Laurie that looks fantastic! You go girl! hugz

waves  Hey LilWolf!!!! And thanks...lol. I might be starting over ;o).

Laurie

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.