Thu, Sep 19, 11:42 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: I hate Winblows - i really do

Belladzines ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 10:01 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 11:40 PM

So i had to re partition my Mac the other day and loaded Windows 7 on it ..... awesome Win 7 .... the colors etc .. works just like a Mac ... but .... trying to load V4 morphs into my PoserPro directory is hell ... what is up with that? it wont let me, says something about how it has to be in the same directory as the executable file (meaning poserpro?) ..... 

has anyone else had this issue? .... its annoying me and i need a fix asap.

can anyone help?

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 10:10 AM

Either one of two, it's looking for Poser.exe, or it is letting you know that it needs to be where V4 base is located.  My guess would be the latter.

Belladzines ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 10:19 AM

so it doesnt accept Poserpro.exe?

Paul_Position ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 10:23 AM

Old DAZ installer...

Just make a copy of poserpro.exe and rename it poser.exe..  I think even an empty text file renamed poser.exe will do.  --  Actually, now that I think of it, I must have such a text file in each and every one of my external runtimes, to cope with the installer's request.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 10:23 AM · edited Thu, 30 September 2010 at 10:25 AM

Put a dummy Poser.exe in your PoserPro root folder. That's seems to fool the installer ;o). Just make an empty text file and name it Poser.exe. Apparently Daz didn't think everything through when they made their installers - like different versions of Poser ;o).

So, in essence - what you're experiencing isn't a Windows problem but a Daz problem...lol.

Laurie

Belladzines ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 10:35 AM

Well this is really dumb how i just fixed this .... i opened up wordpad and saved a document as poser.exe .... it worked .... the morphs installed ..... i didnt think poserpro would have this issue.

Paul_Position ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 10:37 AM

Just like Laurie said, it is neither a Microsoft (Winblows) nor a Smith Micro (PoserPro) problem. It is a DAZ installer problem. :)

Belladzines ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 10:47 AM · edited Thu, 30 September 2010 at 10:55 AM

So that just poses the question, do you really need the whole 200 yards of Poser installed or can you just create a dummy runtime with the dummy poser.exe in it (to not take up disk space) ...?

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 11:21 AM

As it's already been stated, you can just put a dummy poser.exe in any runtime you wish and the installer will work.

whipporwill ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 11:45 AM

A lot of problems with a poser pro/win 7 combo can be solved by right clicking on Poser before opening and selecting "run as administrator" - I nearly pulled my hair out before someone showed me that lol - Poser wouldn't run scripts, or save any files to any of my runtimes, whether poser main or those on my desktop. Seems that win 7 security is more paranoid than secure lol!

Belladzines ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 11:48 AM

i just need poser in my windows directory for the injection programs to refer to when making injs .... i dont actually use Poser on the windows side at all ... 

jestmart ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 12:45 PM

You don't need a dummy Poser.exe file.  The real problem with the installers is the names they gave to the two options,  Poser option should have been titled 'either 'Auto Install' or more accurately 'Poser.exe Search'.  DAZ Studio option should have been simply 'Manual' since that is what that option does, it just allows you to manually input the folder you wish to install to.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 1:59 PM

Mr. Ballmer will be happy to accept your apology along with a pre-paid order for Windows 8

The Daz installers are like getting into 'age-restricted entertainment venues' back in the day - just show the guy a card, doesn't matter what's on it, he just wants to see a card.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Belladzines ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 2:01 PM

haha fat chance .... i'm a Mac user, i love Apple ....

jerr3d ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 2:38 PM

O.O; Reminds me of when i had to reinstall my DAZ (OS 9 installers) products on a non-OS 9 computer. Sure DAZ has replaced a lot of the old 9 installers with X installers that you can re-download, but not all of them.  So i guess it pays to keep an old 9 computer lurking in the shadows.

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 6:38 PM · edited Thu, 30 September 2010 at 6:41 PM

.Artemis., the DAZ installer looks for Poser.exe to determine where -or if- it will install V4.  No, they did not have the foresight to make the installer look for either Poser.exe or PoserPro.exe, so if you have Poser Pro or Poser Pro 2010, you'll encounter this quirk.  As Laurie suggested, simply create a .txt file (mine says "DAZ was silly, so I had to make this fake Poser executable."), and save it as Poser.exe wherever you want to install V4.  The installer will create any folders it needs within the hierarchy.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

Belladzines ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 7:11 PM

Quote -  Well this is really dumb how i just fixed this .... i opened up wordpad and saved a document as poser.exe .... it worked .... the morphs installed ..... i didnt think poserpro would have this issue.

thanks guys!!! ....

lmckenzie ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2010 at 6:00 AM

Of course SM could have simply used poser.exe for all versions. It's easy enough to pull the version from the executable if they need to distinguish. They can name the shortcuts whatever they wany and if users need to check for some reason,  they can look at the file properties.  Easier IMO than Daz having to rejigger their installers for different versions. 

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2010 at 7:43 AM · edited Fri, 01 October 2010 at 7:47 AM

It isn't a Windows problem or a Poser problem;  it's a DAZ installer problem.

It would be easy for DAZ  to modify the installers with a wildcard such as Poser.exe*;  it would be easier still if they simply refrained from micromanaging, demanding that the installation be made in the primary runtime.

DAZ installers already read Poser version numbers in order to determine which versions of MAT poses get installed.

That argument being made, all we really need to do is place a dummy Poser.exe where we want to install, and the problem's solved.  It's not a big deal.  We go on with life.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

jestmart ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2010 at 10:17 PM

I would be easier if people would read my post and learn to use the installers.  Further more the installers are nothing more than self extracting zip files.  They make no distinction of the Poser version or whether you choose Studio to determine what to install.  The content in the file is the content that is installed.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2010 at 11:19 PM

"It would be easy for DAZ to modify the installers with a wildcard such as Poser.exe"* 

which would pick up poseray.exe probably among others, though that may only be a technical point.

"  it would be easier still if they simply refrained from micromanaging, demanding that the installation be made in the primary runtime."

Agree 100%

" Further more the installers are nothing more than self extracting zip files."

Not the case AFAIK. Neither WinRAR nor WinZip will open them. They (the latest ones) are Bitrock installer files. You can use a special utility to extract some of the older versions, but there is no runtime structure inside them - all the files are dumped in one place.

jestmart ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2010 at 10:02 PM

All right! technically they aren't 'self extracting zip file's.  But that is essentially how they work.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.