Thu, Sep 19, 9:55 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:52 pm)

Subject: Poser 8 --> Poser Pro 2010

ghoyle1 ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 4:57 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 9:38 PM

Just upgraded from Poser 8 to Poser Pro 2010, and I was wondering if I can copy my main runtime over into PP2010. I have a lot of the Daz figures installed in P8, and I don't really want to go through the hassle of re-installing them. Obviously, I wouldn't copy over anything that already exists in the PP directory, but I do want to move anything that isn't already there.

Probably a bad plan, isn't it?

Guy

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 5:02 PM · edited Wed, 29 September 2010 at 5:02 PM

A better plan - add the P8 runtime to PPro as an external runtime and don't move anything.

Even better going forward - don't install content in Poser's main runtime ever. Each time you upgrade you'll wonder whether you should move everything or link to the old runtime. After several versions, you'll be looking for something and trying to remember which version of Poser you had when you got that item you want. Was it the Poser 5 runtime? 6? 7? Pro? 8? PP2010? 9? PP2011?

See? I think the Poser main runtime should have nothing in it but what came with it. Otherwise, moving old stuff into it just sets you up for the same problem on the next upgrade.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

ghoyle1 ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 5:08 PM

Hmm. I thought the DAZ Millenium 3 and 4 figures had to be installed in the main runtime, or they wouldn't work? Or was that just a false assumption on my part?

whipporwill ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 5:14 PM

Quote -  Hmm. I thought the DAZ Millenium 3 and 4 figures had to be installed in the main runtime, or they wouldn't work? Or was that just a false assumption on my part?

they'll still work, but they take a bit longer to load in my experience if they're not installed into poser's main runtime. but bagginsbill has a seriously good point - it's no fun dealing with all the content in poser's main runtime when it comes time to upgrade or switch hard drives lol!!

ghoyle1 ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 5:26 PM

Thanks for the tips!

nruddock ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 5:39 PM

Quote -  Hmm. I thought the DAZ Millenium 3 and 4 figures had to be installed in the main runtime, or they wouldn't work? Or was that just a false assumption on my part?

This was only really true for P5, partially true for P6, not a problem from P7 onwards.

ghoyle1 ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 5:40 PM

That explains it, then. I never realized that they fixed this problem.

Guy

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 7:23 PM · edited Wed, 29 September 2010 at 7:24 PM

Quote - > Quote -  Hmm. I thought the DAZ Millenium 3 and 4 figures had to be installed in the main runtime, or they wouldn't work? Or was that just a false assumption on my part?

they'll still work, but they take a bit longer to load in my experience if they're not installed into poser's main runtime. but bagginsbill has a seriously good point - it's no fun dealing with all the content in poser's main runtime when it comes time to upgrade or switch hard drives lol!!

That might be true - slower. Not for me, though. My PP2010 runtime has nothing in it at all, except Andy and the Primitives. I never installed any of the content in there. It's all external. So even if it looks in the main runtime first, it's a blink of an eye to realize nothing is there.

So when I want to work with V4, that's the only external runtime I have loaded and my main runtime is nearly empty. Well - that and my personal BagginsBill runtime - stuff I created. Still, the point is I add and remove runtimes as I use them. I have over 30.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

whipporwill ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 8:52 PM

How many runtimes is it okay to have loaded in poser pro at one time?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 10:49 PM · edited Thu, 30 September 2010 at 10:49 PM

1000? I don't really know. But the more you have, the longer startup takes.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.