Thu, Sep 19, 6:51 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 6:38 pm)

Subject: Poser is crashing. I need help :(

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Wed, 13 October 2010 at 10:19 PM · edited Wed, 11 September 2024 at 7:45 PM

I have Poser 7/Pro installed on a Windows 7 OS.
Lately, poser has been crashing when I either try to delete something or when I try and save something to the 'figures' library.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled... and it is still doing it.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Anniebel ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2010 at 1:51 AM

Do you have a nvidia video card? There was just an update, all my poser 7 crashes seen to be related to my nvidia card.

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

My Gallery                       My Freebies                        My Store

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2010 at 2:09 AM

I don't have a dedicated graphics card... It's a laptop.
I have a Pentium Dual Core Processor and 3 GB RAM.

I know a laptop is not the best thing to work on with 3D, but it is all I have.

markschum ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2010 at 2:23 AM

The files for Poser 7 were put into documents and settings/owner/application data/poser 7 and can be deleted. Poser will recreate them but you will lose your settings for startup.  

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2010 at 2:25 PM

Ok, I just did that and it is still doing it :(

I tried to delete the "Simon" figure from the scene and the "Are you sure you want to delete the current figure?" window is 'stuck' on the screen.
I have tried going to the tool bar and clicking delete figure from there, and just hitting delete on the keyboard.. and both ways that window stays stuck on the screen and I'm forced to have to go to the Task Manager to shut the program down.
I want to avoid a complete system restore, but if I have to I will.

edgeverse ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2010 at 5:08 PM

I have had that happen too. I did find a helpful tutorial on this at smithmicros website Ill replay back after I get the link for you.

3D Digital Comics & Art/My homepage
http://www.edgeversemedia.com

edgeverse ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2010 at 5:10 PM

Ok im back heres the help I found useful.

support.smithmicro.com/cs/smkb.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php

Schecterman ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2010 at 5:37 PM · edited Thu, 14 October 2010 at 5:37 PM

Oh I remember that thing about not being able to delete Simon. I can't remember now how I got around it, but you might try holding down the Shift key while pressing the Del key.
That prevents Poser from trying to store it into memory as an undo, which could be the problem.
It'll tell you that this action is not un-doable, but I think it should work. Then just try saving out a new startup preferences by going to Edit>General Preferences and setting the startup state to No Simon.
Or you could just save out a blank empty .pz3 scene.

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2010 at 7:54 PM

I tried following that as well with no luck :(
I think I will just have to do a system restore...

Schecterman ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2010 at 8:03 PM · edited Thu, 14 October 2010 at 8:05 PM

Try something else before doing that...
Open up Poser and save your default scene as something - whatever you want, and close Poser.
Then open that .pz3 file in a text editor. It's just a text file after all. Remove all the references to Simon and then save it.
Then try opening that in Poser and see if you get a Simon-less, non-crashing scene.
If so, save that as your "preferred state".
Never know, it just might work, and it's a helluva lot easier than reinstalling the whole system. Besides, this is Poser's problem not your system.

I can't remember what I had to do, but I do remember that it was a problem getting rid of Simon and having Poser crash in the process all the time, but I eventually did and all was fine after that.

edgeverse ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2010 at 8:20 PM

do the instructions in the link i sent you, (make sure poser is NOT open)
then reboot your pc
worked for me

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2010 at 8:25 PM

Its not just crashing with Simon...
When i started up poser this afternoon it was in my preferred state.. there was nothing in the scene. I loaded K4 and then TRIED to delete K4... thats when it crashed.
I tried different figures, like clothing and it happened every time.
I have deleted everything that I know of that has anything to do with poser, including the hidden App data in the link tutorial provided, Un installed and re installed....
im so upset that I don't know what else to do.

edgeverse ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2010 at 8:29 PM

That trick always works for me. This is odd, Its obviously something in Poser, not your PC.
Try it again and reboot. I do that and it works fine.

This usually happens to me once in a while I add or remove content.

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Thu, 14 October 2010 at 11:17 PM

It didn't work

edgeverse ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2010 at 5:30 AM

even after a reboot of windows?

EugyptuS ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2010 at 8:53 AM

I don't know if this is the same thing but this thread just helped me
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2811317
g
ood luck!

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2010 at 11:21 AM

@ edgeverse, even after restarting windows :(

edgeverse ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2010 at 11:24 AM

Strange. I have Poser 7/Pro installe, all the things you mentioned, happened to me and the fixes I found work. I cannot figure what else it could be.

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2010 at 11:34 AM

Okay, let's determine where exactly is PP installed.  It almost sounds like an UAC issue with Windows 7.  Is PP installed into the Program Files folder?

BTW: let's stick to conventions, there is not such thing as Poser 7 Pro.  Although they share similar interfaces, there is a distinct difference between both apps.  Plus, it will be less confusing if proper names are used.

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2010 at 11:41 AM

@EugyptuS: Can you tell me how you got to those settings?

@hborre: It is installed in 'program files (x86). That is where the program install wants to put it by default, so I just leave it like that...

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2010 at 12:14 PM

OMG!
Ok, I found the settings for my graphics drive.
I turned Tripple Buffering OFF and anistropic filtering OFF.
AND turned my preview settings to OpenGL - accumulation buffer set to software with hardware shading turned on.

and it seems to be working ok for now.
BTW I have a Pentium Dual Core CPU

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2010 at 12:27 PM

Hopefully, this will solve your problem.  However, be very aware that Vista and W7 have major issues with apps installed into Program Files folder which may prevent you from saving or accessing content.  It is a little problem called UAC, and if you search the forum, the most common solution is either total authorization or reinstalling Poser into it's own folder on the HD.  AFAIK, Poser does give the option to be relocated anywhere other than default and that has not changed over the earlier iterations.

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2010 at 12:43 PM

ahh ok so poser can, say, be installed directly into c drive?
I have a few games like that....

edgeverse ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2010 at 1:04 PM

I already assumed you had it intsalled in drive C.
Thats how mine is installed.

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2010 at 1:08 PM

if/when it acts up again I will install it directly to the c drive instead of the 'program files' :)
The only runtime I use is on my external drive. My desktop was natorious for crashing and I was so very tired of redoing my runtime...
Thats why doing a complete system restore isnt that big of a deal to me, I have all of my important stuff on externals ;)

TuesdaysGone ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2010 at 9:18 PM

Quote - Ok im back heres the help I found useful.

support.smithmicro.com/cs/smkb.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php

Just wanted to say thanks edge for posting this link. As luck would have it, I started experiencing the same lockup problems with P7 tonight and following the steps in the link above did the trick for me.

Tony.

edgeverse ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2010 at 9:55 PM

I am glad someone found it helpful, Tuesday. Hey how are you liking Poser 7 anywayz?

I think issues like that occur when content is added or removed from Poser. And if you're like, you're always looking for stuff to add to Poser.

Have you even see the Poserholic thread?
LOL

TuesdaysGone ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2010 at 11:12 PM

Hey edge,

I'm loving Poser 7 and I haven't stopped adding content yet! :)

So yeah, that was probably the cause of my problem. Just lucky that I had been following this thread and you posted that link.

The Poserholic thread is great stuff and so true. I've only been at this a short while and I already feel like one of the gang. ;D

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Sat, 16 October 2010 at 12:37 AM

I just want to thank everyone that posted here to help! I'm glad others can find it useful too.
You all saved what is left of my hair ;) lmao

edgeverse ( ) posted Sat, 16 October 2010 at 7:48 AM

Im glad DD.

and Tuesday, enjoy.

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Sat, 16 October 2010 at 1:33 PM

-cries-
It started doing it again!
I'm uninstalling it and everything else that you all have mentioned above, and I'm going to reinstall it directly to c drive and see if that works.

Belladzines ( ) posted Sat, 16 October 2010 at 1:42 PM

Sorry i cant be of any help for  a PC ... i use a Mac and my Windows 7 is partitioned .. i use a folder called Program Files (86x) and thats where my poser is installed over there for stuff i need done on that side ...

Poser 7 sometimes does crash on my Mac side tho, but its rare so i havent really looked into why ...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.