Tue, Oct 22, 3:39 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Photography Forum Challenge - October 2010 - "Bridges"

rockstrider ( ) posted Mon, 18 October 2010 at 4:22 PM · edited Mon, 18 October 2010 at 4:33 PM

@ myrrhluz - great bridge captures and both so very different. Is the New York bridge a floating one of some sort or does part of it swing out to let boats past?

@ Tara - beautiful green bridge and love your composition! The flowers in the foreground work so well as they lead the eye into the pic.

@ Clive - lovely night shot of this illuminated bridge!

has anyone when commenting on images in the gallery, whilst writing "great shot" hit the "i" key instead of the"o" (which are right next to each other) by accident??? Very emarrassing if you dont realise in time!!! lol

myrrhluz ( ) posted Mon, 18 October 2010 at 4:37 PM

Thanks rockstrider! 
It is a swing bridge with piers that rest on pile formations in the riverbed. 

helanker ( ) posted Mon, 18 October 2010 at 5:36 PM

I just want to say i have seen all the wonderful bridges and i think they are awesone.
I cannot point out one from another this time. TOO many gorgeous specimen. :)

Helle

TomDart ( ) posted Mon, 18 October 2010 at 8:24 PM

I see really nice posts here..I am still looking. The best local one is already an older gallery image and I need a new bridge..and, .not shooting my dental bridges, no way.

TomDart will somehow find a bridge worthy.

helanker ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2010 at 1:18 AM

Tom.. Thanks for the morning laugh.

cfulton ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2010 at 1:46 AM

file_460508.jpg

Now there's a thought... the bridge between my molars!

Here is another one at the V&A Waterfront.  This one is a pivot pedestrian bridge which swings out of the way for yachts and vessels going into the dry docks.  I timed the shot as the bridge swung past me to get it head on.  The concept is similar to myrrhluz Manhattan Island bridge.

Clive

myrrhluz ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2010 at 2:03 AM

Excellent!    I love how my eye travels down the bridge to the people.  Great timing!

helanker ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2010 at 2:07 AM

Clive, is that a suspension bridge?  ;-)  Awesome shot.

cfulton ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2010 at 2:19 AM

Hi Helle,
it is a suspension bridge which pivots at one end.
Cheers,
Clive

helanker ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2010 at 2:57 AM

Ha! I thought I was joking

Meisiekind ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2010 at 10:10 AM

Oh my goodness - in just 24hrs I have missed so much!!!

@ Clive - Oh I do so recognise those bridges at the V&A!!! Wonderful images! I love the night shot and the timing on the second one is perfect!

@Tom - LMAO - Come on! Be a sport and photograph and post your dental bridge!!! 

Well done everyone!!!

"To me, photography is an art of observation. It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them."

Elliott Erwitt

cfulton ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2010 at 1:49 PM

file_460533.jpg

My last bridge to cross...

I found this wooden footbridge across a stream in Tokai forest, guarded by this bee. Or so I thought...

Actually he was one of the many toy characters strategically placed to lead party children to a hidden stash under some branches and leaves.

Clive

Meisiekind ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2010 at 1:52 PM

Oh Clive - this is precious and spot on! I LOVE the image. Cute little self made bridge and the bee is a star! I initially thought you photoshopped it in! Just marvelous!

"To me, photography is an art of observation. It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them."

Elliott Erwitt

helanker ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2010 at 1:54 PM

HEHEHE!!  Awesome :-)  I like that bridge. Reminds me of my early childhood. We had vacation in a tiny cottage near a little wood and there were little streams with such bridges over. I loved that place.

Meisiekind ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2010 at 2:06 PM

file_460536.jpg

One from the archives! ![](../../mod/forumpro/art/emoticons/mellow.gif) This drawbridge is in Miami... I cannot remember whether I shot the bridge or the yacht!!  ![](../../mod/forumpro/art/emoticons/blink.gif)

Elliott Erwitt

myrrhluz ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2010 at 2:06 PM

Cute shot and great POV.  I like that the grass is towering over the guard.  I thought it was photoshopped at first too.  Wonderful little bridge!

myrrhluz ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2010 at 2:10 PM

Great capture with the boat coming through!  Beautiful light and shadows!

TomDart ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2010 at 7:19 PM · edited Tue, 19 October 2010 at 7:20 PM

file_460554.jpg

A recent image is wanted...so far my only bridge comes from a pc now hiding in some covered place in this home, somewhere downstairs with the camel crickets.  I used an old Minolta DImage F100, bought for eBay stuff.  The picture was aged a bit and ghostly soldiers placed in the woods, near where they were in the fighting at the bridge in 1862.   This was likely one of my earliest attempts to manipulate a photo.

The bridge is over Antietam Creek, near Sharpsburg, Maryland. This area was made infamous by a battle in the Civil War in America known in the north as Antietam(named after the creek as was custom) or after the nearest town, Sharpsburg in the south(as was custom).

I always feel a tear at my heart and a tear in my eyes when considering these terrible battles.  This one September 17, 1862 produced the bloodiest day in American combat history with over 23,000 casualties.   All were sons of what was the same country prior to the war.

I will put up a bridge from a new photo soon as I get one.

helanker ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 1:52 AM · edited Wed, 20 October 2010 at 1:53 AM

Attached Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Belt_Fixed_Link

file_460560.jpg

Since I really HAVE tried with new shots of bridges, but only came up with one, I have desided to show you two older shots of bridges. Here is one from the looong bridge from Zealand to Funen in Denmark. Storebæltsbroen. 

helanker ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 1:56 AM · edited Wed, 20 October 2010 at 1:56 AM

file_460561.jpg

And here is a completely different bridge. similar to c.fulton´s bridge. I took this shot a few years back, because it reminded me of the little bridges from my childhood.

cfulton ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 4:33 AM

Lots of stunning crossing coming to light!
Well done, one and all!
Clive

auntietk ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 9:52 AM

I have a good friend who is from The Netherlands.  She tells me that in Dutch there is a device called a "little donkey bridge."  It's an aid for remembering things.  Like if you want to remember something and you "attach" that memory to something else ... you know how you do!  LOL!  When they do that they call it a little donkey bridge.  Linking one thing to another.

Now how on earth would I take a photo of that?

It makes me wonder if there any sayings in different parts of the world that employ the idea of a bridge ...

I'm loving all the bridge pics!  Excellent work, everyone!

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."  ...  Robert Capa

Digitaleagle ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 11:53 AM

Wonderful bridge representation one just as compelling as the other and Tara's memory to remembering bridge,  awesome. A wonderful challenge, that i'm excided to be a part of, thanks to each one for their thoughts and posts looking forward to the rest of the month and the world of bridges not yet represented. Trying to decide which one is my fav. but it's like comparing apples to oranges there so deverse each one with it's on outstanding features soooooooooooooooooo I have to say I like them all. I know that's a political statement but that's my story and I'm stickin to it, LOL :-).

Royce

Meisiekind ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 12:17 PM

Tom and Helle - Most wonderful images! The "old" bridge and postwork hits a cord Tom!
That LARGE bridge is pretty impressive Helle and the little wooden 'remember"' bridge is adorable!
Well done all!

Elliott Erwitt

makron ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 3:50 PM

file_460588.jpg

The Bridge of San Telmo, the most popular bridge in the city of San Sebastian (Spain)

cfulton ( ) posted Thu, 21 October 2010 at 1:35 AM

Wow! How old is San Telmo, makon?

makron ( ) posted Thu, 21 October 2010 at 5:49 AM

This bridge is built modernist style in 1921
There is an error in the name of the bridge, its correct name is Puente del Kursaal
I'm sorry, I'll correct it now

cfulton ( ) posted Thu, 21 October 2010 at 6:37 AM

Thanks!
Clive

Meisiekind ( ) posted Thu, 21 October 2010 at 11:21 AM

MAkron - WOW - What a marvlous old bridge! I is so pretty and the overall image very pleasing!
Thanks for sharing!

Elliott Erwitt

makron ( ) posted Thu, 21 October 2010 at 11:24 AM

It is a pleasure for me to participate in this blog. I'm sure I have more pictures of bridges, I will be happy here.
Thanks

makron ( ) posted Thu, 21 October 2010 at 11:46 AM

file_460619.jpg

The Bridge of San Pablo replaced an old stone bridge, built between 1533 and 1589, which fell apart, and, likewise, connected the Convent of St. Paul in the village, saving the mouth of the River Hollow. This bridge is located in the city of Cuenca (Spain). One of the most representative monuments of the city.

This bridge is located in the city of Cuenca (Spain). One of the most representative monuments of the city.

This bridge is located in the city of Cuenca (Spain). One of the most representative monuments of the city.

Meisiekind ( ) posted Thu, 21 October 2010 at 11:48 AM

Oh wow - this is breathtaking! What a wonderful vista and a stunning bridge!
Thank you so much for sharing!

Elliott Erwitt

JuliusS-J ( ) posted Fri, 22 October 2010 at 3:05 PM · edited Fri, 22 October 2010 at 3:10 PM

file_460643.jpg

Famous Brooklynbridge. Took this photos during my vacation there :)

And thanks to "rockstrider" for the info!

JuliusS-J ( ) posted Fri, 22 October 2010 at 3:05 PM

file_460644.jpg

Same Bridge, different time and angle ;).

makron ( ) posted Fri, 22 October 2010 at 3:23 PM

file_460646.jpg

Port Street in the city of San Sebastian (Spain)

helanker ( ) posted Fri, 22 October 2010 at 5:24 PM

Makron, Those are indeed beautiful bridges and views.

And Julius it is really lovely briges from you too.

rockstrider ( ) posted Sat, 23 October 2010 at 8:14 AM

@ JuliasS-J  -  Very glad to see that you posted these remarkable bridge captures to the forum challenge as well as your gallery!

I can heartily recommend that members pay a visit there to take a look at these full sized!

@ makron  -  Superb work on your bridge uploads! Fascinating work!

Meisiekind ( ) posted Sat, 23 October 2010 at 8:31 AM

@ Julius - That will always remain one of my fav bridges in the world! Marvelous captures of this beauty!

@ Makron - wonderful bridge from your lovely Spain. Gorgeous image too!

Elliott Erwitt

makron ( ) posted Sat, 23 October 2010 at 10:58 AM

file_460660.jpg

Princes Bridge of Spain, [1] better known as La Salve bridge is a bridge over the estuary of Bilbao, Vizcaya, Spain.

Its opening was held on January 9, 1972 and its author was the engineer John Batanero. It was designed in the late sixties, to solve the traffic problem, which began to saturate in the north of the city. He was also the first in Spain with bracing system and one of the few with steel deck. Is 23.5 meters in height for the passage of ships, being fixed. It is equipped with lifts from its base in the hamlet of La Salve, at the end of the Campo de Volantín. Along with this bridge, on the left bank of the river, is the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao. It is also curious to see how the architect of the museum wanted to integrate, in a sense, this bridge in the same building, for this purpose and on his left side, as viewed from the Campo de Volantín, a tall tower with access stairs Museum, which is on the right.

alida ( ) posted Sat, 23 October 2010 at 4:06 PM

file_460671.jpg

**There are not many brideges in Sardinia...there are no permanent rivers**

enjoy:)

alida ( ) posted Sat, 23 October 2010 at 4:18 PM

file_460672.jpg

This is an old one... a different  bridge

Meisiekind ( ) posted Sat, 23 October 2010 at 4:18 PM

@alida - Well, this one certainly is stunning. Great image and thank you for shring with us.

@makron - Lovely bridge and great idea of the architect to integrate it with the Guggenheim Museum.

Elliott Erwitt

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Sat, 23 October 2010 at 11:44 PM

file_460679.jpg

So many wonderful bridge shots, it is indeed a fascinating subject matter.

I finally got a little time today to go bridge hunting. Found this one between bouts of rain. I would have wandered over to where one can walk over it too but the rain was threatening again and I didn't have my umbrella (left it in the car as I wandered off to get this shot) so I had to pass on that.

Hopefully tomorrow will be brighter and less wet so I can wander some more.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

So where do they go when a photograph leaves you speechless? 

Werries ( ) posted Sun, 24 October 2010 at 1:14 AM

Will definitely take part in this one... Got a few fairly decent bridges... Watch this space!!

Meisiekind ( ) posted Sun, 24 October 2010 at 1:49 AM

Oeee - that B&W bridge is lovely. It looks like a barrage. Wonderful shot and thank you for sharing!

@Werries - looking forward to you joining in the fun!

Elliott Erwitt

Werries ( ) posted Sun, 24 October 2010 at 2:06 AM

file_460681.jpg

Ok... Effort 1...

This was taken at the mighty Storms River mouth in the Eastern Cape Province of South Africa.

This is one of the 3 Hang Bridges over the river mouth. Results in absolutely spectacular views...

babuci ( ) posted Sun, 24 October 2010 at 3:08 AM

file_460682.jpg

Lots of great bridges here...good stuff guys and girls...

seeyus  Tunde

babuci ( ) posted Sun, 24 October 2010 at 3:09 AM

file_460683.jpg

a different take on the subject...

seeya T

babuci ( ) posted Sun, 24 October 2010 at 3:12 AM

file_460684.jpg

3rd and final... good old Sydney harbour with the famous 'coat hanger' bridge...

seeyus  T

Meisiekind ( ) posted Sun, 24 October 2010 at 3:24 AM

@ Werner - WOW - spectacular bridge and I remember the views from there. Excellent POV and thank you for sharing.

@ Tunde - Love the underside of that wooden bridge. It does look a tad delapidated! The shadow of the 2nd bridge is such a fresh approach and a great POV. Th Sudney Harbour bridge - well - always a stunner. Thanks Tunde!

Elliott Erwitt

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.