Thu, Sep 19, 12:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:30 am)

Subject: how do you feel about con artists

SoulTaker ( ) posted Thu, 04 November 2010 at 3:53 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 12:21 PM

BEFORE YOUR REPLY DO NOT  NAME ANYONE  OR IMAGES.

this post is not here to have a go at anyone, or slag off some ones work.

just out of interest how do people feel about con artists,  you know the ones, they post an image and say they did it in poser, when its the face of someone famous photo shopped  on to V3 saying its a morph. or someone says its an ink or pencil drawing.

when you can see that its a photo from the net that has been worked on in paint shop.

do they p**s you off or do you feel sorry for them and the people that fall for it?

ShaaraMuse3D ( ) posted Thu, 04 November 2010 at 3:59 PM · edited Thu, 04 November 2010 at 3:59 PM

I don't even care.  Whatever floats their boat to boost their egos, lol.

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Thu, 04 November 2010 at 4:00 PM

Pity mostly. It's someone that has little talent wishing they had some.

Diogenes ( ) posted Thu, 04 November 2010 at 5:00 PM

I'm with Grappo2000, I could care less. If they get something out of it, good for them.

A HOMELAND FOR POSER FINALLY

Kalypso ( ) posted Thu, 04 November 2010 at 6:50 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

Most of the times they're not really conning anyone since it's so obvious.  I don't really care if that's what they need to get an ego boost.   What I find amusing though is that some even have a following that panders to them :)

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 04 November 2010 at 6:55 PM

Quote - Pity mostly. It's someone that has little talent wishing they had some.

This.  And/or contempt.

But then, I didn't find "Walter Mitty" amusing, either.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 04 November 2010 at 6:58 PM

I useta do that in prev. century.  I would use APS to blend a celeb photo onto a poser nudie render.  but I quit doing it after i found out about "right of publicity".  technically they were parodies, hence I never got any C&Ds, but I quit anyway.

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 04 November 2010 at 7:44 PM · edited Thu, 04 November 2010 at 7:45 PM

Well, art aside, I used to hustle in Backgammon when I was in late teens/early 20's. 

See when I was in grade 12 we were learning the probabiity of gene traits and I applied that to dice rolls and figured out the probability of the dice rolls. I memorized them and used it to my advantage after a few games of so-so playing. 

Was it a con? Some might think so, but we played for quarters, so I don't really count it :) 

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Thu, 04 November 2010 at 9:08 PM

Acadia: I would consider that more educated mayhem. LOL

R_Hatch ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2010 at 1:53 AM

There's a member at CGSociety that posts renders/images using the Poser 6 people, but with very obtuse lighting and projected textures (sometimes) to disguise them. He claims to have modeled them in ZBrush, but anyone who has used Poser 6 figures can spot them a mile away. The members there don't seem to notice, but that's not surprising - they'd only recognize V2/3/4. I don't care enough to bother saying anything :)

momodot ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2010 at 11:31 AM

I think it is an interesting form of folk art. If anyone would PM me some URLs so I caan have a gander at them I'd appreciate it.

fygomatic ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2010 at 2:10 PM

Not to be sensitive, but usually when there's a accusation of photoshopping a celeb's head into a render it's aimed at me. That's why I periodically include raw renders from different angles with my gallery posts.
 In fact, I recognize SoulTaker's name because he accused me years ago, I showed him the proof and he apolegized. So, I know this can't be about me.
 Anywho, I return you to your thread.

momodot ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2010 at 2:25 PM

Fygomatic, do you use FaceGen?

fygomatic ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2010 at 2:47 PM

momodot: No, I shape my morphs in Lightwave and do my textures in photoshop. Deecey has some great FaceGen work in her gallery.

momodot ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2010 at 3:14 PM · edited Fri, 05 November 2010 at 3:16 PM

Fygomatic, do you work in the round from the beginning or do you start with wireframe over photos? Also do you work one morph all the way through or do you work up several different morphs and then blend them in Poser? I typically work from gross form to fine detail on about three morphs and then blend them.

fygomatic ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2010 at 3:42 PM

momodot:   I used to shape the mesh in lightwave with front and side images in the background. That would take forever to set up though, so now I just model freehand. I gather up photos of the person's head from every angle possible and look at that as I shape in lightwave.
  I work on the same morph all the way through, the blending method wouldn't hold any advantages for me.
  I usually start with a checklist of the person's features like if they have flaring nostrils or small upper eyelids, and I methodically add those before I even move on to proportions.

momodot ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2010 at 4:26 PM

That is interesting about the checklist. Thnx.

scanmead ( ) posted Sat, 06 November 2010 at 2:25 AM

So, Miss Nancy used to work for the National Enquirer?

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sat, 06 November 2010 at 6:45 AM

I had no idea this was such a booming business. Still, doing a good photo-manip takes time and some degree of skill. Passing it off as something its not is another matter, but hardly one worth getting angry at IMO. If you're gonna get mad at people lying to the masses (and the masses buying it) these days, you better pack a lunch.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

momodot ( ) posted Sat, 06 November 2010 at 9:31 AM

I remember a dust up here at RMP years ago over a render of Elijah Woods (?) as a Hobbit that won a contest.

I wonder what post-work could be used to make a standard celebrity photo look like a Poser render? JPG repair and faux-HDR with some judiscious smudging? Anyone care to take it on? Be a cool experiment... esp. if no merging with an actual render was used.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sun, 07 November 2010 at 1:35 AM

Stand them against the wall

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.