Thu, Sep 19, 8:58 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 3:46 am)

Subject: OT- Windows updates

Darboshanski ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2010 at 11:35 AM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 5:50 AM

I am now convinced that window 7 updates corrupt my video card drivers. Each time I have updated windows 7 a few days after I have video errors one in particular. It isn't until I uninstall the driver, run driver sweeper and then reinstall the the latest video card driver does the error disappear and all is well until the next windows update. At least I kow what it is and how to correct it......I hope. LOL!

My Facebook Page

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2010 at 11:43 AM

thats strange. never happens to me with my updates....

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

thefunkyone_4ever ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2010 at 12:11 PM

easy to fix, go to your control panel, then scroll to the bottom and click on "windows update", then click on "change settings" to the right of the window, and change the drop down box to "check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" then click on ok.

This will stop windows from automaticly updateing and when you go to update it will allow you to choose what updates you wish to install, "i.e untick the video card drivers"...

the only downside to this is that windows will not auto update in the background anymore but it will still notify you when there are updates available. so thats not too big of a problem, if the corruption of your drivers are what you would consider a worse problem.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2010 at 12:12 PM

Magnus it's not at all strange - not every driver is broken. It depends on which video card you have. If your card is not among those that receive a Windows updated driver, then you don't get an udpate. If your card is among those that receive a Windows updated driver, but the driver isn't broken, then you don't notice any problem.

Most newer card drivers are not managed by Windows distribution yet, so they don't suffer as often as older cards. There are other factors, but that's basically what's going on.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2010 at 12:31 PM

...whatever?

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

Darboshanski ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2010 at 2:01 PM

thefunkyone_4ever yes I forgot to do that on the effected machine so that is why the last updates slipped through you can bet it's all fixed now lol.

Bagginsbill you hit the nail on the head I have a card that windows 7 is always sending updates for.  Each time I let windows 7 update I'd get the dreaded "display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" error. So I have to take the measures in my previous post.

My Facebook Page

kawecki ( ) posted Fri, 05 November 2010 at 9:34 PM

Disable all the Windows updates, it`s a crap. If you want to update something, do it by hand and never allow Windows do it for you.

If your computer is working properly and without any problem don`t touch it and it will continue to work properly.

Stupidity also evolves!

drifterlee ( ) posted Sat, 06 November 2010 at 10:07 AM · edited Sat, 06 November 2010 at 10:08 AM

In Windows 7 64 bit, whenever I install ANY program it takes out my ethernet driver so I have no internet connection. I have to go into Device Manager, uninstall my ethernet adapter, then reboot. Windows installs the latest driver - until the next time it screws up.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.