Mon, Oct 7, 6:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 11:30 am)

Subject: the Danger of long render times - total snack attack

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2010 at 8:41 AM · edited Sun, 15 September 2024 at 4:21 PM

One of my weekend renders took approx 14 hours. 

The long wait put me into total snack attack mode. 

I ate half a bag of potato chip ridges.  Then went back to my freezer for some chocolate chip waffles.  I sat at my little desk to watch the render bucket and then my brain caught up that i saw ice cream in the freezer, so alo moded my chocolate chip waffles.  6 hours into the render I went for a walk to the 7-11 and came back with pepperidgefarm tahiti cookies.

i can't snack in front of my dog with making a snack for him, so he had some Frosty Paws and after that a dingo rawhide.

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

Lzy724 ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2010 at 9:28 AM

LOL... you could always just watch 3 or 4 movies.  :)  But then again, thats snack time too.

stewer ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2010 at 9:45 AM

Do what I do, keep a set of free weights next to your desk.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2010 at 12:09 PM

adopted a hatchling while waiting Adopt one today!

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

flibbits ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2010 at 3:25 PM

It could be worse.  With some renders people raise a family, have grandkids and great grandkids by the time it's finished.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2010 at 7:06 PM

I don't mind long render times because they enable me to get on with other stuff away from the computer.  That's what helps me keep my sanity.

Purple firebananas.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2010 at 9:42 AM · edited Wed, 24 November 2010 at 9:45 AM

Purple?  lol

these were the really long renders.  Gather node on the water.  IBL with AO, you know how it is Poser kindred.  :biggrin:

tomorrow, another attempt  of trying to explain what render art is to relatives.

"you spent your money on what?"

"Vicki needed a new dress."

"Who is Vicky?"

which will start the lesbian rumours again.  (which, for the record, doesn't bother me.)

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2010 at 9:45 AM · edited Wed, 24 November 2010 at 9:46 AM

file_462063.jpg

another IBL AO, with a few spotlights,  over 8 hours to render on my lill dualcore Dell

remember The Pad?  not sure which Poser version it came with.

NickNoelC ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2010 at 10:50 AM

Y'know it always amazed me that no matter how speedy a computer you use, it always seems like we will never hear the end of "my renders are taking a literal DAY to complete". Remember the days of early Poser 4? When you could finally use transparency maps and group objects and characters and conform clothing and even a half baked scene with just a few props a few figures and maybe some environment would take hours and hours to render and that was when the BEST computer you could buy at that time was about 300mhz with maaaaybe 256Megs of ram and that was if you had like a workstation or something "Who needs a quarter gig of Ram anyway?" and most people made it on about 64 - 128megs. Our hard drives were maybe 6 gigs TOPS and we used to download all these awesome props and textures and such off the old "PoserForum" and early Renderosity and complain about long download times when a file was more than a meg or two because all we had was 33.6K dialup.

Guess somethings just never change! Always be bigger and bigger models and more and more complex stuff we can add to the scene.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2010 at 11:15 AM

my first modem was 2400 baud.  the phone bills from those long distance BBSs. 

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2010 at 11:25 AM

rendering was the greatest challenge I had to quitting smoking.

I used to hit render, sit back and light up..... took months to break that even after the cravings for smokes had gone.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.