Mon, Sep 9, 6:03 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: New computer...need help

Scarab ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2010 at 7:42 PM · edited Fri, 30 August 2024 at 7:48 AM

A few months ago I purchased a new computer, as my old one was getting dicey and I wanted to move from Windows XP to Windows 7.  The new system is a lot more powerful with quad core and 12 gigs of ram.  It is of course also 64bit.

Since transferring all my files and installing Poser 7 on the new computer, however, I am encountering unexpected problems.  Often while rendering or trying to make an AVI animation, I suddenly get a message that "Poser. exe has encountered a problem and shut down"  Even if I have carefully saved my work, often as not it will not load the saved .PZ3 file and shuts down again.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Do I need to increase the virtual memory for poser (If so, how?) I get a message asking if I wish to allow an unknown program to make changes to my computer when I start Poser, I assumed this was to allow Win 7 to run a 32 bit program.

Very irritating and frustrating.  Please help.

Scarab

Rance01 ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2010 at 8:04 PM

Have you installed Poser 7 to the C:Program Files (x86) folder?

I'm running Poser 7 fine on both Windows 7 Pro 32-bit AND Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.  I have no problems at all with Poser 7 installed on the root directory: C:Poser 7.

Windows 7 (and VISTA) don't care much for having programs write to the protected area of the disc.  I installed Poser to the root directory and maintain external Runtimes in the 'My Documents" folders.

Best Wishes,
Rªnce

Rance01 ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2010 at 8:06 PM

Bye the bye, I've only 4GB RAM on the 32-bit system and 6 on the 64-bit sys.  I think you DON'T have a memory problem ...

Scarab ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2010 at 8:22 PM

So you're saying I should install Poser to C: instead of programfiles 86?

(sorry, I'm kinda slow tonight...

S.

Rance01 ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2010 at 8:37 PM · edited Sun, 12 December 2010 at 8:39 PM

No, need to say you're sorry to me.  It might be worth a shot.  For a brief stint I tried using Windows Vista and had loads of trouble with Poser 6, but since upgrading to Windows 7 no problems at all.  I'm kind of old school and have always installed Poser to the root directory to make it easier to access the Runtime folders.

C:Poser 7.

Maybe someone else with chime in here ...
R-

PS: The problem might be Windows 7 UAC issues.  Program Files and Program Files (86) ARE protected folders ...

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2010 at 8:39 PM

Yes, Poser runs better if you install it in the root rather than in the Program Files folder. It's caused by the Windows Vista/7 UAC.

Laurie

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2010 at 11:19 PM

Ditto, and there are plenty of posts in the forum that attests to that.

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 13 December 2010 at 3:26 AM

Or you could leave it where it is and switch the UAC off if you're confident enough around computers to do that...

The UAC is over nannying IMO, mine is off and always has been since Vista. I'm on W7 Ultimate 64 bit also..

You will get the doom mongers saying it's not safe to switch it off...it is!!

You do need to make sure you know what you're doing, have adequate firewalls, anti Virus and anti spyware. If you have all that and know how to use it properly, switching the UAC off isn't an issue..

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 13 December 2010 at 8:39 AM

I agree with the fixer on the UAC thing. I tend to switch mine off. But then again, I'm a low-risk internet surfer, never open any email I don't recognize and I'm downright anal about running my AV and keeping it up to date ;o).

Laurie

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 13 December 2010 at 9:01 AM

Ditto LaurieA..

I've been using computers from the early days of the Acorn Electron so I've learnt a lot over the years, but the biggest thing I've learned is to be really, really careful and to make sure all protections are in place......Bit like sex really...

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

KageRyu ( ) posted Mon, 13 December 2010 at 10:34 AM

Also, try rendering in a seperate process. I'm not sure if Poser 7 has a 64 bit render engine, but I know Poser 7 Pro does, but it only takes advantage of it if rendering in a seperate process (as the Poser program itself is 32 bit).  This caused some issues on my Intel Quad core similar to what you are describing.

The New HD Toaster from Wamco toasts bread more evenly and acurately than Standard Toasters. Take advantage of the FULL resolution of your bread and try one today, because if your toast isn't in High Definition, you are not getting the most of your toast!

Scarab ( ) posted Tue, 14 December 2010 at 7:26 PM

OK, I've finally got Poser 7 uninstalled and then reinstalled to c:/Poser7.  Along the way I managed to lose my P7 Runtime with a lot of purchased material (stupid mistake) but thank God I had backed it up to an external HD and was able to recover it all.

I will let you know if I continue to have any problems.

My thanks to all of you who have offered advice.

Merry Christmas to you all!

Scarab

Rance01 ( ) posted Tue, 14 December 2010 at 7:48 PM

Might I suggest also backing up your finished Runtimes as well as just making sure your installers are all backed up?  As time passes one adds more and more content to their Runtimes, and organization becomes a MUST.

Comes in handy for me to have my entire, organized, Runtime backed up on an external disc so that I can reload content directly from that archive or use it to install content on second or replacement computers.

Poser 7 should work well under Windows 7.  Good luck and happy holidays yourself.

Rªnce

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.