Thu, Sep 19, 11:20 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 9:06 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Trouble with importing sketchup models in Blender 2.55

PoalaVandel ( ) posted Fri, 17 December 2010 at 10:35 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 11:18 PM

I can't import sketchup 8 or sketchup 7 models into Blender 2.55 Beta for some reason. Anyone else having this problem. I'm a mac user. I wonder if this problem is only unique to macs or does every other operating system have this problem as well. I modeled a bridge in Google Sketchup 7 and I created on in Sketchup 8 and I can't get my models to appear in Blender. Every time I do they always show up as an empty. 

I hope the next release of Blender 2.5 resolves this issue sometime in the future.

alexcoppo ( ) posted Fri, 17 December 2010 at 2:53 PM

The Collada way? well, I have had almost no luck with ANY application reading SketchUp Collada files; actually, my SketchUp experiences w.r.t. mesh export have been soo bad that I am investigating low cost CAD applications for precision modeling.

Bye...

GIMP 2.7.4, Inkscape 0.48, Genetica 3.6 Basic, FilterForge 3 Professional, Blender 2.61, SketchUp 8, PoserPro 2012, Vue 10 Infinite, World Machine 2.3, GeoControl 2

DoomsdayRenderer ( ) posted Mon, 20 December 2010 at 7:18 AM · edited Mon, 20 December 2010 at 7:19 AM

Basic question: what if your model is in such scale that you can't SEE what you imported?

Numerous ways to correct, hint 'S' is for scale...

I've imported my Sketchup 8 Pro files in Blender 2.55 (some not-old svn self-compiled version). I've had no problems.

My OS is Ubuntu Linux, where I'm using Windoze version of Sketchup via Wine... ;-)

edit: typos

alexcoppo ( ) posted Mon, 20 December 2010 at 12:05 PM

Did you go the OBJ or the Collada way?

GIMP 2.7.4, Inkscape 0.48, Genetica 3.6 Basic, FilterForge 3 Professional, Blender 2.61, SketchUp 8, PoserPro 2012, Vue 10 Infinite, World Machine 2.3, GeoControl 2

DoomsdayRenderer ( ) posted Mon, 20 December 2010 at 1:05 PM

file_463116.png

OBJ is my usual way to get objects around. 2.49 did read many formats, but most of them are not in 2.55 yet. OBJ import seems to work fine, with this version I have imported from ViaCAD, Shade, Wings3D, Silo, umm... too may to list. ;-)

There's multitude of reason to see "nothing". Usual problem is that the modeler makes things, say, thousand times bigger than Blender's scale. What you see is insides of the object, that may look quite gray... Or then again, objects is so tiny that you see nothing. Hit 'S' key and see what happens...

Btw that image is quick random modeling in Sketchup 8 Pro, some boolean / solid tools stuff. Imported as OBJ, then curved surfaces smoothed a bit.

DoomsdayRenderer ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 2010 at 8:04 AM · edited Wed, 22 December 2010 at 8:07 AM

Umm... apologies.

It seems that at least some 'official' beta packages have had problems with OBJ import. I do not know that which ones, but if in doubt, you can find ready-compiled new packages from www.GraphicAll.org .

I'm too much tinkerer to be a lot of help, it seems. :-/

edit: ... and seems that new 'official' beta is coming around 26.12. Just a rumour, mind you.

• crawls back to retopologize female anatomy *

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.