Fri, Sep 20, 4:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Can basic shapes be created in Poser?

Michaelab ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 6:40 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 4:25 AM

Hi,

I want to create my own sword. Can it be done in Poser 8? Doesn't have to be anything fancy.

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 6:41 PM

you can do primatives, such as cone, torus and cube. Would be a very crude sword.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 6:56 PM

Why not just get a free modelling app, such as Wings or Blender?  Will take you all of a couple of hours to get to grips with, cost you nothing and you'll be making your own stuff in no time.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 6:58 PM

If you just need a sword, I have a free one over at posernation.com. It is a rapier, if that is what you need.

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 7:01 PM

While technically it can be done - you can create any kind of geometry by python command-  you really ought to look into a modeling program.  If it's something you think you may want to do more than once a year, I strongly recommend you just start out with a powerful modeler like Blender (free); if you're just going to model your sword and then not mess with making your own models again then you could try something like Sketchup.

My Freebies

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 2010 at 2:29 AM

Wings3D is very easy to learn, if you want a flatter learning curve. And plenty powerful... entire humanoid figures and very sophisticated clothing (among other models) have been developed in Wings3D. Lots of support, too.

Blender, is great - I use it exclusively - but the learning curve is a bit steeper, initially. There's a new interface just out... and it won't be long before it goes out of beta, but it's quite usable the way it is.

There are for-pay programmes out there, but if you're just dabbling, you might want to go with the free ones first, just to get a feel for it.

You would export your model as an obj file, which you would then import into Poser. It's a real blast to make your own stuff, incredibly satisfying, and the potential for expanding your ideas is boundless when you do your own modelling. It can be frustrating, at times, but there's heaps of help around... you'll be spending a lot of hours reading these forums for how-tos.

Lots of luck... remember to enjoy!

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

BionicRooster ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 2010 at 10:01 AM
Forum Moderator

I started using Wings about 8-9 months ago, and once you get the basics down, you're off and running in it. Don't forget about the UV mapping tho, it's extremely important. If you want an idea of what you can do in Wings, check out my freebies. Also, if you want to see what is possible with only Poser primitive shapes (and a little imagination), check out "My PC" and "Primitive Park" in my Gallery. Those were made using only Poser primitive shapes. You are really only limited by your imagination and willingness to learn.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.