Wed, Sep 18, 2:12 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: OT Looking for a new laptop

Magic_Man ( ) posted Mon, 20 December 2010 at 2:06 PM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 4:25 AM

So my laptop decided to bite the bullet over the weekend - looks like a graphics or motherboard issue (have swapped memory, run with only one stick, ran diagnostics etc.)...

Anyway, it's starting to struggle in Poser anyway and the graphics card has never handled Open GL very well so...

...looks like I'm in the market for a new machine.

Minimum specs I'm looking for are:

UK supplier
4GB Windows 7 64 bit based
Well performing graphics card
i3/i5 cpu
Would prefer a higher res screen than the standard 1366x768 that seems the norm on 15" laptops but not much options out there.

Obviously price is an issue, so after the best deal possible...

Anyone have any recommendations? Probably looking at a Dell but not up on their current combinations etc.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!!!

saibabameuk ( ) posted Mon, 20 December 2010 at 2:21 PM

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Cool man loves poser

Magic_Man ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 5:01 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Wouldn't have said that "Obviously price is an issue, so after the best deal possible..." and "MacBook Pro" go in the same context though :biggrin:

Looking for a native windows machine.

jestmart ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 2:13 PM

Since Intel's graphic chips are iffy about how they handle OpenGL, I would reccomend an AMD/ATI based system.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 5:09 PM

My only advice, stay away from Dell!!!!! 

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Magic_Man ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 5:14 PM

Thanks. Trouble is, not much customisation choices with other laptop manufacturers

Adom ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 5:18 PM

Quote - Thanks. Trouble is, not much customisation choices with other laptop manufacturers

that's true.

And btw I do like my latest DEll:) 

triangle2010 ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 8:04 PM

Lenovo ThinkPad T510

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5967&review=lenovo+thinkpad+t510

how about this one?

It seems fit your requirements. But the price is a bit high.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 8:17 PM

Quote - My only advice, stay away from Dell!!!!! 

3 Dells here, 2 E521 Desktop's, 1 1501 Laptop. all 3 about 3 years old now, never a moments trouble other than the Laptop had vista home basic on it. once I replaced that with Windows 7, it's been excellent.... they're not all bad ;)

Barwickian ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 2010 at 4:59 AM

Attached Link: Smasung R590

I've just got a Samsung R590, which does very nicely with PP2010.

Windows 7 Home 64-bit, i5 CPU, 4Mb RAM, 1Gb Nvidia GeForce GT 330M graphics card, 500Gb hard drive, 15.6-inch monitor, standard 1366x768 resolution.

Don't know what the price in the UK would be, but here it cost 2,800 dirhams, just under £500, which is very reasonable for any machine that can do more than surf the net.

A nice touch is that it has a number pad on the keyboard, which suits the way I work.

It does everyhting I ask of it, no problems so far, and I'd recommend it as a good balance of power and affordability.

Andy Staples
The Penultimate HârnPage -- www.penultimateharn.com

Magic_Man ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 2010 at 7:30 AM

Thanks all again, I'll take a look at the Samsung Andy, look like great spec's for the price.

Magic_Man ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 2010 at 7:54 AM

Unfortunately, the R590 is around the £750 mark in the UK... Too much I'm afraid...

Will have to stick to my tower for now I guess, don't think I can get the spec's I want for the price I want to pay (around £500). Will see if I can actually make do without the laptop for now...

Thanks again all...

Klebnor ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 2010 at 9:02 AM

Did you try HPShopping?  I picked up a netbook replacement for the wife's christmas and it was close to your price and spec.

They're not a UK supplier, but mine came direct from Shanghai anyway.

Klebnor

Lotus 123 ~ S-Render ~ OS/2 WARP ~ IBM 8088 / 4.77 Mhz ~ Hercules Ultima graphics, Hitachi 10 MB HDD, 64K RAM, 12 in diagonal CRT Monitor (16 colors / 60 Hz refresh rate), 240 Watt PS, Dual 1.44 MB Floppies, 2 button mouse input device.  Beige horizontal case.  I don't display my unit.

Magic_Man ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 2010 at 9:52 AM

I'd be concerned over warranty issues by buying anything outside of the UK.

Klebnor ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 2010 at 10:46 AM

file_463165.png

I'd be surprised if HP wasn't one of the larger laptop vendors in the UK, they still have the top global market share.  Basically, you're going to get a device built in China or Taiwan, whoever you buy from.

Lotus 123 ~ S-Render ~ OS/2 WARP ~ IBM 8088 / 4.77 Mhz ~ Hercules Ultima graphics, Hitachi 10 MB HDD, 64K RAM, 12 in diagonal CRT Monitor (16 colors / 60 Hz refresh rate), 240 Watt PS, Dual 1.44 MB Floppies, 2 button mouse input device.  Beige horizontal case.  I don't display my unit.

Magic_Man ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 2010 at 10:52 AM

Sorry. Yep, can buy direct from HP here. Was assuming the supplier of yours was a Shanghai based outlet. As long as the supplier is UK based then that's fine - whether they ship it direct from the UK or overseas doesn't matter then.

Will take a look... Thanks!

Klebnor ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 2010 at 11:19 AM

No problems - good luck!

triangle2010 ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 2010 at 11:46 AM

Quote - I'd be surprised if HP wasn't one of the larger laptop vendors in the UK, they still have the top global market share.  Basically, you're going to get a device built in China or Taiwan, whoever you buy from.

i think most  of those laptop manufacturer in taiwan build their production line in china,

this lower the cost and maybe lower the price that when we buy one.

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 2010 at 12:01 PM

Acadia had some bad experiences with Dell...;) I have too, actually, though with Wings 3d; for some reason, it doesn't run well on a Dell. All the designs explode into hundreds of individual appearing/dissapearing lines...

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Klebnor ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 2010 at 1:15 PM

Quote - > Quote - I'd be surprised if HP wasn't one of the larger laptop vendors in the UK, they still have the top global market share.  Basically, you're going to get a device built in China or Taiwan, whoever you buy from.

i think most  of those laptop manufacturer in taiwan build their production line in china,

this lower the cost and maybe lower the price that when we buy one.

Yes, well, the PRC would find my contention redundant anyway.

Last I knew, Acer and Asus were still assembling in Taiwan, what with those pesky missiles aimed their way, and the tiresome direct travel restrictions.  Perhaps the thaw in relations has progressed beyond my wildest dreams.

Klebnor

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.