Fri, Sep 20, 10:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Advice for Building a system optimized for vue and poser

wushen ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2010 at 6:05 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 10:28 AM

I'm currently using Poser Pro and Vue6Inf. I'm planning on getting Vue9Inf but feel my current build (C2Q, 8gig 667 Ram, 512 GeForce 8600) will be found wanting as I'm already getting glitches, lags in previews and slow loads.

In building a new system. I'm primarily looking for "bang for the buck" priced around $1500-1600. I've been able to piece together a good package (taking advantage of New Egg/ tigerdirect Bundles)  But have a few questions/concerns as to the most effective dollar/performance reguarding ram, GPU's, SSDs. I'm fairly well decided on:

** Win7 Home Premium 64                                                                                   $100**

Asus Sabertooth 1136 mobo, supports up to 1866mhz ram w/o  overclocking (6slots) up to 24Gig,  Sata 3 (6 gig transfer) Usb3                                             bundled with;Core I7 950 Bloomfield 3.06G **                                             **      $465

Crucial RealSSD C300 SSD 124 Gb (Sata 3, 6G) OS and my current libraries should fit here, but would be close to full, I'm considering adding a 64Gb version for OS and programs ($120) but feel SSDs will drop in price alot soon, There's also only 2 SATA3 connections on the mobo and could possibly make better use later.      **$269 **

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3, 6.0Gb, I wonder if this will work  with a SATA 2 connector, if I add another SSD. I understand that it can't tranfer at a 6Gb rate. It's the cheapest 64MB Cache drive I found. It's bundled with a COOLER MASTER 850W PSU                                                                 $215

MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5,Core Clock: 810MHz, Shader Clock:1620MHz, Stream Processors:336 Processor Cores, Effective Memory Clock:3900MHz, It seems this is where tough decisions are made, seems there's big price changes for minimal gains, but the cheapest of the series have a core clock of 710MHz for $55 less. This seems to be the cheapest line tested for Vue9Inf which uses DDR5                                       $215

12 Gb Kingston ddr3 trichannel 1866Mhz Ram                                                $286

Case, Fans, Drive, Card Reader                                                                         $110

**                                                                                                               Total: $1660**

This combination is a bit high for my liking and I'm considering  going cheaper on the SSD and RAM to put it more in my price zone. 

Replacing the Crucial C-300SSD 124Gb (For OS/Programs/Libraries) to 64Gb(OS/Program files only)                                                                             Saves $150

I can go cheaper than 12Gb of 1866Mhz by getting one of the following options:

6Gb of Kingston 1866Mhz  (3x 2Gb)                                                    saving $143

6Gb of Kingston 1866Mhz (6x 1Gb)                                                     saving $106

12Gb of corsair 1600Mhz(6x2Gb)                                                        saving $110

12Gb of patriot viperII 1600Mhz(3x4Gb)                                              saving $86

12Gb of Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz (3x 4Gb)                                           saving $116

Getting the smaller SSD with 6Gb of 1866Mhz (3x 2Gb) puts the build at $1367

**                                                                                                                saving $293**

** My questions are:**

Is 6Gb of 1866 Mhz Ram enough?

Is it better to invest in seperate OS/program and library specific SSDs than in RAM?

Will a conventional Sata3 drive (If I add an SSD) function on a SATA2 cable?

Is spending big money ($256) on a library specific SSD a nutty idea if I had OS/Program files on a ($110) 60Gb SSD?

Would going $55 cheaper in GPU significantly affect renders/previews/multitasking? (710Mhz vs. 810Mhz core)

Is 24Gb of 1600Mhz RAM less efficient for Vue (Due to piping) than 12Gb of 8600?

Which RAM Option is most effective for long term expandability?

Is saved money from economized Ram/SSD options better spent on Geforce470 GPU, a second Geforce460, an OS/program specific SSD or pocketed?

I know whatever I build it'll be significantly better than what I currently have, but any advice to optimize this build to my budget would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

wushen ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2010 at 6:08 AM

Sorry the formating got wiggy when posted :P

cbuchner1 ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2010 at 2:04 PM · edited Fri, 24 December 2010 at 2:06 PM

Quote - Sorry the formating got wiggy when posted :P

you could probably build 3 to 4 nodes of a renderfarm with 6 AMD cores each for that money, using lower end components. I just built a 10 core farm for 600 EUR, with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM in each of the two nodes. Together with my other desktop PCs that's 18 cores to use in rendering.

wushen ( ) posted Sat, 25 December 2010 at 1:50 PM

cbuchner1

This would surely speed up renders, but dont see how that'd help previews/loadtimes especially while modeling/composing scenes from multiple source files.

I'm curious what you're using for GPU's e-on software seemed very specific in their tests for Vue9Inf, there are cheap cards that work, many are DDR2 or DDR3 which seem archaic, and imbalanced in a farm with a modern card. I'm just curious what you put in them and how well it's working....

I just did the research on pricing a dirt cheap Phenom IIx6 machine (500watt micro ATX, mobo, 8Gb1333, 320Gb 16Mb hard drive, Radion HD 4830 GPU, CD burner) This came to $490, so it looks like I could do 3 builds on my budget, and have money to spare for electric bills.

It's an interesting idea, truthfully though, networks make my head hurt, mine's been down for about a year, Primarily because I know it'll be a long weekend of asperin and foul language to get it straightened out (2 of my network places somehow got the same address after I momentarily unplugged my NAS, and cant remember/find my password for it to reset)

Intrigued by how inexpensive this build could be, I investigated adding components getting it close to my original build (64Gb SSD, Geforce460, a SATA3 board, 850 watt power, caviar drive and same case, with 8Gb 1600Mhz dual core RAM) Inexplicably this came out to $1429 only $38 less than my current theorized Intel build, It has 2 Gb more RAM, but 286Mhz slower and with one less channel.... This Option doesn't seem very appealing. I'm almost certain the Intel would be significantly faster in these configurations (2 gigs can go through 3 channels much easier than 4Ghz through 2)

My current theorized Intel Build now has a Cooler Master Sniper case, (rugged with good airflow and ease of building) With the 64Gb SSD, and 6Gb of 1866Mhz DDR3 Tri-channel, More Ram and SSDs can be added

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Sun, 26 December 2010 at 11:38 AM

I have the CoolMaster Sniper case.  It is huge!  I also added the max number of fans and a water cooling system to my i7 processor.  The system runs really cool.

My only recomendation is to keep far away from ATI video cards.  I have a i7, 6GB memory, GTX-275 with 1GB memory - Vue runs great. 

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

wushen ( ) posted Sun, 26 December 2010 at 2:35 PM

Hi Peggy,

I'm curious as to what version of Vue you're using, speed of Ram you're using, is your OS on an SSD, and what kind of system resources are being used during loading scenes and rendering. I think I'll be happy with 6Gb of RAM, but your input would be helpful. I also checked out your gallery, lots of good work there!

I appreciate your help

Jonj1611 ( ) posted Sun, 26 December 2010 at 3:17 PM

I would use a 64GB for a system drive only and either a 1 or 2TB drive for all your programs/files etc.

Jon

DA Portfolio - http://jonj1611.daportfolio.com/

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Sun, 26 December 2010 at 4:02 PM

I'm using Vue 9 Infinite.  I use 6 GB DDR3 / 1600 MHZ MEMORY .  I didn't go out of the way to buy expensive memory.  My MB has three more slots empty, so one of these days I will drop in the other 6GB like I planned.  I am running Windows 7 64 bit on a single 1TB drive.  Even with my Poser runtime and all of my Vue content I still have plenty of room on the drive.  But if need be, I can always add a second drive. 

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

silverblade33 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2010 at 8:41 PM

yeah avoid exepnsive memory it is NOT worth it, as I've often said, never EVER buy the latest/best/super dooper stuff as you will pay way over the odds for it and in 6 months time it will be 1/2 the price ;)

Just get good brand stuff, avoid ATI as folk say, a good case is actually very important for longesvity and ease of build/maintenance of your PC

A good PSu is also vital, the new modular ones are a great idea, you can remove uneeded connectors thus keeping the case less cluttered, or add back if need

I scotch tapped some coarse air filter foam over my Antec 900 gamer cases to keep dust out, lol, new versions of that case have dust filters

if you use an SSD drive, make sure you move Vue's library elesehwere, which an be tricky process, my Vue library is ENORMOUS, and each time you upgrade it adds a new one, too...

so wih SSD drives make damn sure ONLY the operating system goes on it, if possible and nothing else except soem essential apps that don't like being elsewhere

Don't use "Home" version of Windows7, iirc there's some issues with meory or such, anyway, get the profesisonal version (wlel, that's what it's called in Europe)

I'd have 3 drives if I were you, 3rd use, not as a true RAID, but to back up content and libraries onto as you need!

I like ASUS motherboards, but lot of folk say their customer support is iffy, so some preffer ASROCK or Gigabyte boards, and don't skimp on the motherboard, it's crucial! yo don't need some crazy suepr server board, but a "good" board makes a huge difference, and make sure you update it's BIOS and chipset drivers (and with all due care and warnings about that!!)

I'd go with an i7, ASUS P6II deluxe board perhaps?

another issue about why NEVER to buy the "new super dooper stuff!" is...bugs, fualts, problems! if you wait to a board/cpu has been out for at least 6 months or more, newer versions will have fixed problems ;)

"Future proofing" is an iffy thing, IMHO. a well made system shoudl last at LEAST 2 years and often 5 so by that time, "updating" would be utterly a waste, as entirely new CPUs, chipsets etc will be out that your board could nto be compatible with, and you'd be better buying the "almost" new stuff at that time

kepe art and "general use/gaming" PCs seperate, do not ever if you cna afford two PCs, have yer art apps on a gaming/general use machine, you get too many problems

:)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

onnetz ( ) posted Mon, 03 January 2011 at 8:56 PM

You gonna be overclocking? I'd add an aftermarket cooler for that 950.

Ditch the coolermaster 850 for somthing more reliable. Antec or silverstone. Also you dont really need 850 watts for a gtx 460.

Go here and these guys will set you up with a good system.

http://overclock.net/

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or play with it,

just pee on it and walk away. :-)

I wouldnt have to manage my anger

if people would manage their stupidity......

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.